Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How would one go about filling large holes in fiberglass? Like on the dash, with old gauge holes. I was thinking that one would cut a slug of wood undersized, coat it in resin and cloth, then stick it in the hole, and lay some resin and cloth over the front and back. Is this the correct way of doing this because I have never done any major work with fiberglass. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
that is exactly what we would do at our body shop.

just make sure the wood fits tight,coat it good, slide it in and cover over it,

ha!!!!!sounds kinda fun,lmao:)sphss

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I'm in the process of doing that very thing right now. I'll post come pictures when I get home tonight. I've already cut and fit the 3/4" thick slugs so you can see that part. Next will be to use some duraglass to make it nice n smooth (filler) then lay a piece of glass front and rear, sand and finish. The duraglass is really just to fill in any small cracks/voids so the glass will lay nice n flat and adhere properly. Any voids that will cause an air pocket in the glass will be a delamination waiting to happen. It's also to help blend it in to the existing dash so it all flows seemlessly.

Shaun has some photos on replacing the entire dash (wood) if you want to go that far. He's been checking in pretty regularly so maybe he'll put up a link. His dash was rotted which is why he did the whole replacement of the wood thing. Mine's just got a bunch of old gauge holes in it that don't make any sense.

Dan

Actually I went back in and found the link. He's done some really nice work on that boat. Check the rest of his gallery for other info.

Shaun's dash replacement photos

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Way I Did Mine Was Cut Out A Wood Plug Put In The Hole Glass The Back Side With Mat And Resin On The Front Just Duraglas It Block That Out Then Use Some Glaze Putty Block That Out Seal It And Paint Its Held For 3 Years. Know Problem

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Used dowel for the smaller holes. 3/4" plywood plugs for the big ones.
The small gauge holes just used a holesaw of the same size and
it worked great. The bigger gauge holes had to be cut with a jigsaw
and sanded to fit. I don't have a holesaw that large.

I gots lots o holes. Speedometer, tach, oil pressure, water temp,
volt, fuel level gauge, stereo, and numerous switches.

Backside

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Squirtcha? Looks good. Nice pictures.:)devil

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
That,s what I told her last night!!
lol!!!!!!!!!!!thats what i was refering to as fun peeps.;)

i would lay glass first then filler.the glass is the strength not the filler keep these things in mind fellas.if you do glass work right it will be stronger than the filler;)

glass then filler then go buy a box of rubbers,lol!!!!:)sphss

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
lol!!!!!!!!!!!thats what i was refering to as fun peeps.;)

i would lay glass first then filler.the glass is the strength not the filler keep these things in mind fellas.if you do glass work right it will be stronger than the filler;)

glass then filler then go buy a box of rubbers,lol!!!!:)sphss
I wouldn't call it "laying filler". What I've applied was just a skim coat over the patch pieces. Then I sand 95% of it off leaving it only in the smallest of cracks and divots. Then glassing.

I'm no pro, but most of the bad glass that I've seen was caused by a surface imperfection or a little piece of crap which caused an air pocket under it and it couldn't be removed by rolling it. Once it starts letting go in that one spot it'll just keep on going.

Just as you've stated the glass is the real repair, not the filler.

While not a pro, I've done a lot of glassing on my own boat over the years. No delaminations so far.

Before

Repairs complete

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
im gald it has worked for ya:D

i just didnt want fellas to think lay abunch of filler over holes and then glass.

my ole mans been doing bodywork for 40 plus years and me for 15 plus.

fiberglass can be a bitch if you let it be.whatever works for you as a person stick with it.

alot of peeps will over saturate the glass and then lay extra resin on that,not good at all.you only want enough resin to coat the glass itself,then lay it on and roll,paintbursh,squeegie,{sorry spelling sucks,}anyway if you will take the time and lay the glass correctly its no big deal.

then apply your filler as a skim coat.

and hey guess what it will all shrink over time;)good luck and do it the way you think is best and im sure it will work good for ya,travis

·
Registered
172 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts