Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the padawan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been extremely lucky threw my days of building SBC and BBC's I have burned up a few, spun bearings damaged a few rod bearings in my day, but I have never scattered an engine.... Well Today was the day I drew a big x over that bragging right..

Pictures will be up, I was so disguised I left it on the dyno for the night, Ill go clean it tomorrow. I do not know what happend exactly, other then the fact that I now have 3 easy access holes to help with replacing rod bearings. I had somehting catastrophic go off. Engine had 1 hour of break in time before I started loading her up. First pull with 10:1 AFR and 4 pounds of boost was at 620/660, 2nd pull with 10.8 AFR and 8 pounds had me at 690/670. 3rd pull was 11:1 AFR 12 pounds had me at 780/770. So I thought what the hell Ill stay at those numbers and dial in my box and carb and see what happens. well I truly do not know WTF happened other then :)st . 4th dyno pull with 2 degrees more in it. was sounding great really doing nice AFR was at 11.2 AFR and at 4K the thing came apart like a chinese finger trap holding an M80.

thought I would say hello and welcome myself to the dollar bills in round file gang... I doubt anything from this wreck is salvagable other then my TT system... good way to kiss 5K out the window glad I didnt buy a world block now....

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
sorry to hear that. :(

The pictures should be interesting.

S CP

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you were headed in the right direction with your tune. Must have been a defective part. It happens.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have been extremely lucky threw my days of building SBC and BBC's I have burned up a few, spun bearings damaged a few rod bearings in my day, but I have never scattered an engine.... Well Today was the day I drew a big x over that bragging right..

Pictures will be up, I was so disguised I left it on the dyno for the night, Ill go clean it tomorrow. I do not know what happend exactly, other then the fact that I now have 3 easy access holes to help with replacing rod bearings. I had somehting catastrophic go off. Engine had 1 hour of break in time before I started loading her up. First pull with 10:1 AFR and 4 pounds of boost was at 620/660, 2nd pull with 10.8 AFR and 8 pounds had me at 690/670. 3rd pull was 11:1 AFR 12 pounds had me at 780/770. So I thought what the hell Ill stay at those numbers and dial in my box and carb and see what happens. well I truly do not know WTF happened other then :)st . 4th dyno pull with 2 degrees more in it. was sounding great really doing nice AFR was at 11.2 AFR and at 4K the thing came apart like a chinese finger trap holding an M80.

thought I would say hello and welcome myself to the dollar bills in round file gang... I doubt anything from this wreck is salvagable other then my TT system... good way to kiss 5K out the window glad I didnt buy a world block now....
Sorry about the mess. I would check those turbos very close, it doesn't take much debris to nick a blade on a hotwheel. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It's hearbreaking to have a nice piece turn into a yard sale after so much investment of time and money. I had one let go on the dyno a couple of years ago. Took a few days to shake it off and just get back to work on it. Good luck on V.2!

·
the padawan
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well things were very busy at my buddies shop so I wasn't able to get pictures as they were getting ready to through a pair of 600CI monsters on the machine.. But after the clean up and flippin it over on a stand I can see where I went wrong... and to many this is where I will be damned for the rest of htis post.... I went with JE pistons, Forged Hbeams, and a .....cast Eagle Crank... I figured if I stayed low, and kept the RPMS low I would be fine... However, I now have a limited edition 3 peice eagle cast crank...needless to say I am pretty sure the engine is a complete loss. heads are gouged to hell... so less is.... a 900 dollar crank will save you 5,000 down the road, where a 300 dollar crank will cost you 5,000 down the road.

distributor, carb, headers,are about the only peices of the engine I trust.. gonna send the turbo's out to be checked as about 4 valves are in peices all over the intake and headers...

·
Administrator
11,647 Posts
I broke a good crank in half once, wasn't pretty. Still got the crank pieces and 2 Carillos that have a little unoriginal angle to them. Wall ornaments to remind me of that 10k day. I feel your pain. All you can say is shit happens and learn from it.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Sucks about the crank.

Funny thing about a high performance engine, every single one of them are "going away" at some level and will need attention. The higher the hp the sooner they will blow if not tended to. Sure there are some examples of some that get by longer but its still a pretty good rule to believe more hp = more maintainance generally. Better to catch it before it blows.
As for the cast crank, it wasnt up to the task. Needed a better piece for what was asked of it.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
wg... and to many this is where I will be damned for the rest of htis post.... I went with JE pistons, Forged Hbeams, and a ...cast crank... I figured if I stayed low, and kept the RPMS low I would be fine.....

I'm going to say that you were more playing Russian Roulette than the metal gods getting you. That sucks though.

I've often wondered how much boost can be applied to the stock 460 crank...maybe one off-set ground to 4.14" and spinning 6,500. :)bulb Those things are damn strong.

S CP

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
Scrap Metal Fits Really Suck.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Funny thing about a high performance engine, every single one of them are "going away" at some level... QUOTE]

That is sooo true.

You mentioned a World block in your plans. Going forward, I can testify to the strength of the World blocks. I have broken my engine at least four times where that block has survived situations where a chevy block would have been junk. I have sent rods through the oil pan, dropped valves, jammed up lifters, and that block just keeps coming back for more. I will admit "things could have been worse", but the money on a good block is worth it. The Eagle stuff is good to a certain RPM, as you mentioned, providing it's their top of the line stuff. Oh, and change the rods every rebuild 'cause they are too inexpensive not to (ask me how I know that...).

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
.. I went with JE pistons, Forged Hbeams, and a .....cast Eagle Crank... I figured if I stayed low, and kept the RPMS low I would be fine... However, I now have a limited edition 3 peice eagle cast crank...needless to say I am pretty sure the engine is a complete loss. ...
Biggest misconception is that RPM destroys crankshafts. Its not really their friend. But there were literally hundreds of Ford cast cranks that were run in Nascar for years turning 7500 plus for hundreds of miles. The fastest laps ever turned in Nascar, at Talladega were done in a Ford with a cast crank.

Torque will kill a cast crank faster than RPM will. Anything boosted should have a forgeed crank. Its the low RPM torque that torque thats tears them apart. Not much torque in anything spinnin g 7500 Rs

Think about this the next time your selecting a crank. 2bbl BBCs in school buses have forged cranks. 366 cu in w 2 bbls in dump trucks with a 4000 redline, have forged steel crankshafts. From the factory

454s in Chevelles and Impalas with 4 bbls, and spin 5500 have cast cranks. From the factory
hardin marine 330 horse 454 had cast cranks from the factory
Mercs 8.1 Vortec BBC has a cast crank yep, from the factory

See the trend here? Hard way to learn, but you learned just the same. And you never stop learning.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts