Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady friend of mine said the finger lakes in NY are excellent for boating...just passing it along.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
The Finger Lakes region is beautiful. I'm only familiar with Cayuga Lake. It's 40 miles long, and 3 miles wide. There aren't a whole lot of coves, but there are plenty of public beaches and landings you can get out and stretch. There are also plenty of restaurants in the water with public docks. I know of one winery with a cafe and beach access. The south end of the lake is Ithaca, and it's a college town, with the river portion being boatable and restaurants/bars. You can have lunch on the patio looking at your boat. I've been there for a couple of summers in July, and have never seen it crowded, nor big waves or wakes. Pretty peaceful actually. Dan goes there too.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Finger Lakes region is beautiful. I'm only familiar with Cayuga Lake. It's 40 miles long, and 3 miles long. There aren't a whole lot of coves, but there are plenty of public beaches and landings you can get out and stretch. There are also plenty of restaurants in the water with public docks. I know of one winery with a cafe and beach access. The south end of the lake is Ithaca, and it's a college town, with the river portion being boatable and restaurants/bars. You can have lunch on the patio looking at your boat. I've been there for a couple of summers in July, and have never seen it crowded, nor big waves or wakes. Pretty peaceful actually. Dan goes there too.
Bill, my friend Melanie spoke of that one lake that's 40 miles long and a few miles wide...she was born raised in that region and stated it is quite beautiful and perfect for our types of boats etc >she saw some of our vids. She did mention if a windy day came along small white caps could be a factor but nothing serious. And as you mention, lots of places for lodging, eats and hanky panky (for MikeT and Soaker) :)sphss
I seriously doubt water temps are bath warm like Anna.
I'm just tossing it out there as I'm considering a visit Summer 09.:)devil
Edit > I should have posted this in the East Coast-North section, sorry bout that BOTE.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I had to edit my post. It is 3 miles WIDE. Its a big freakin lake, and can imagine that windy days make for a bumpy day.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I've always wanted to take my boat to the finger Lakes, I grew up in that area also. The lakes are prestine, you can see down 10'-15' and the views are beautiful.

For me to go I would have to have tow cover. I've been contemplating the purchase.......so I can expand my horizons.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...For me to go I would have to have tow cover...
Why...?
And why take a chance burning that pretty orange gel coat?

If anything consider a cockpit cover but then you'll have those fugly snap/clips drilled through the boat. ewwww

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hammer,

the lake she is talking about I believe would be Seneca Lake.

Keep this in mind you guy's......

The Thousand Islands blows the Finger Lakes away as far as beauty and things to do and see big time.
71Hallett and I are in talks about a get together next summer on the Canadian side.
Heck, you could check out the Finger Lakes first and head north to the Thousand Islands.
There's just one thing I have to warn you about......Once you go there, you wont want to be boating anywhere else!!!!

I will be posting up a bunch of Thousand Island pics from last summer in a week or so.

Jim

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Hammer,

the lake she is talking about I believe would be Seneca Lake.

Keep this in mind you guy's......

The Thousand Islands blows the Finger Lakes away as far as beauty and things to do and see big time.
71Hallett and I are in talks about a get together next summer on the Canadian side.
Heck, you could check out the Finger Lakes first and head north to the Thousand Islands.
There's just one thing I have to warn you about......Once you go there, you wont want to be boating anywhere else!!!!

I will be posting up a bunch of Thousand Island pics from last summer in a week or so.

Jim
I will second that Jim. I have NEVER seen nicer water and scenery, tons of bays and islands (about a 1000:D) You can see the bottom in water that is 30ft deep.:)devil Might even be the odd Canadian beaver. lol

·
S-O-S
28 Posts
RealityGuys just be aware that if you go to Canada

guard every thing like you were in the middle

of a thieves convention because you are!!!!:)violent

Any thing you have that they think is valuable

will be gone, like right now!!!

Skeeter

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts

Skeeter
Would you care to explain yourself please.

·
S-O-S
28 Posts
Every one who snomobiles in Canada has

seen first hand how many vehicles, tools

and belongings disapear and never are found.

Most times it seems like the cops are involved

or on the payroll.If it is not the cops then the

hotel staff or managment.

Does that explain?

Skeeter

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Every one who snomobiles in Canada has

seen first hand how many vehicles, tools

and belongings disapear and never are found.

Most times it seems like the cops are involved

or on the payroll.If it is not the cops then the

hotel staff or managment.

Does that explain?

Skeeter
No, I snowmobile about 3-4000 miles per winter and no problems. You may have had a bad experience so I guess it makes all Canadians as a county pirates and thieves. Glad I am on your personal list. I will remember this next time one of you guys needs something. Since every one of you is personally responsible for your country.

·
S-O-S
28 Posts
I didn't say every one was guilty

I only stated the fact that traveling

into Canada with valuables is a risk.

About the same as going to any inner city

area here in the US and not to expect any help

from law inforcement.

Skeeter

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts

Skeeter
I gUEss i DOnt REAds tO goOD.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I would like to be the first to say thank you for ruining a thread among friends. Atleast your pumping up your post count!!!!!!!! A big congrats are in order, you now have 4 whole posts. Its guys like you that make this sport so great. Without you I dont even know if it would exist. Imagine us having the nerve to try to plan a get together and have some good old fashion fun. WTF were we thinking.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only place I ever pretty much go is the Finger Lakes.....Cayuga mostly. The St Lawrence is by far a much prettier place, however you don't just throw your boat in the water and go for a ride. They call it the 1000 Islands for a REASON.....Many places the islands are just under the surface....:)st

As far as Canada goes.....I have been on three different snowmobile trips,met some super nice people and never ever had a problem, however I have heard tons of HORROR stories. I am sure weather you are in the USA or Canada some SCUM bag will gladly steel your SHIT. Hell a friend of mine had two snowmobiles taken right out of his barn in the middle of the night. PEOPLE HAVE BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
As far as tempature goes....It gets warmer on the upper end of Cayuga. The upper end is shallow. Mostly in the 20-30 feet. Compared to the lower end that is in the 150 range.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts