Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Word of mouth

Votes: 14 24.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have advertised with the ATT YP for 20+ years but it just doesn't get the job done these days. We will be putting that rather substantial amount of money to better uses going forward. We deal strictly with businesses and most business people use the internet these days instead of the YP book. We will be expanding our internet advertising and a couple of other different avenues to increase our customer base. Sure, if you want to look up a pizza joint, get a plumber or electrician I can see the benefit but we were never in the consumer books anyhow.

I am curious as to how many of you use the YP -vs- the internet to look up products and services required. I have a strong idea on what the poll will show and would appreciate it if you would take the time to vote.

Thanks

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
I advertise in the YP, but my store is both retail & wholesale. The only business the YP brings in is retail, any wholesale business is word of mouth or outside sales contact.

If I'm looking for a new product or vendor, I only use the web. I'm not restricting my search to be only local at that point.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
I start with word of mouth, then go to internet to research (google or YP.yahoo.com). I have not cracked open a phonebook in years.

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
We dumped our yellow page adds about 12 years ago.

We were spending 2-3K a month and at one point had a couple half pagers and a tab. Honestly towards the end we would be lucky to recieve 10 calls a month and 3-4 would be wrong numbers or people we couldn't help.

We have not grown substancially since the early ninetys but continue to plug away and maintain a great book of business.:)

We have tried flyers,door hangers, carwash plaques,etc.... The area is just so full of insurance agents that unless you spend big $$$ advertising your name nothing works.

Most of our business comes from refferals and cross selling our current book of business.Internet isn't really a valid tool for sales as we need local clients.

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
I'm in a unique type of business so it doesn't pay for me to advertise, however I do use the bold listings in all Verizon phone books in the Riverside and San Berdo counties. Just having the bold listings it costs me over $400.00 per month, not bad but not good either. Like you said when you have alot of competition, such as Pizza, Plumbers etc. than I do agree with a nice size add.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I work for a construction company and just recently we have been considering dropping our yellow pages advertising. We have been asking all the new customers that call in where they heard about us. 99% of the residential customers say the yellow pages and 99% of the commercial customers say we were recommened by someone. So I guess it depends on what your customer base is. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I dumped our yellow pages advertising this year. It was a waste of money. I get more business by word of mouth than anything.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
smallest listing they got just to have a presence.... 100% of our business is done by referral anyway.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Direct mail, telemarketing, word of mouth, networking, canvassing.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I do 98% of my research online dealing with music/instruments/recording equipment.

For things that are kinda left field I'll use personal contacts or recommendations.

BTW, I consider info I get here to be word o mouth...just have to do some sorting, but the quality of the people leads me good conclusions most of the time.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
I was down in San Diego camping last month. I needed an extension for my 50amp plug as the hookups to the camp were all the way in the back and my trailer has the plug-ins half way down the side(40ft trailer). I went up to the check in desk where there were three seniors working. She first went to grab the phone book but then remembered that she had the internet right there. When even the old people are using the internet, the phone book becomes obsolete.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
We have advertised with the ATT YP for 20+ years but it just doesn't get the job done these days. We will be putting that rather substantial amount of money to better uses going forward. We deal strictly with businesses and most business people use the internet these days instead of the YP book. We will be expanding our internet advertising and a couple of other different avenues to increase our customer base. Sure, if you want to look up a pizza joint, get a plumber or electrician I can see the benefit but we were never in the consumer books anyhow.

I am curious as to how many of you use the YP -vs- the internet to look up products and services required. I have a strong idea on what the poll will show and would appreciate it if you would take the time to vote.

Thanks

I for one, hope it works for you,, and that you did the right thing.
They are way over-priced.

But having said that:

My neighbor dropped his front-of-the-section YP ad (Electrical Connection Simi Valley) and his electrical contracting business almost collapsed. Zero calls.

He eventually renewed his ad and they put him in the back of the section,, and now it's just as bad.
But,, he hasn't set up a webpage with a connection to the Search engines,, so their is more to the story.

I think most folks don't know what an ad costs.
It's astronomical.

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I for one, hope it works for you,, and that you did the right thing.
They are way over-priced.

But having said that:

My neighbor dropped his front-of-the-section YP ad (Electrical Connection Simi Valley) and his electrical contracting business almost collapsed. Zero calls.

He eventually renewed his ad and they put him in the back of the section,, and now it's just as bad.
But,, he hasn't set up a webpage with a connection to the Search engines,, so their is more to the story.

I think most folks don't know what an ad costs.
It's astronomical.

We are in a high tech field and it is time to cut the cord with the YP. years ago it was fine but not anymore...at least not for our field.

Fuuny thing is they were going to double our coverage area while charging us about 30% less than what we now have.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I beat Cole Trickle by a few years. As a western regional distributor, I had to advertise in many city yellows. The annual cost was really cutting into the bottom line. When we quit, we never noticed a loss of a single sale. I think the YP are dead as a T-rex...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't use the book much at all any more. If you're not consumer based, then I would say you won't miss much. Research has shown that it's not the size of the ad, anyway. Probably good to keep some minimal presence, but the internet is the way to go. Have a good website, too. Weak websites, don't do much for your image or corp. id and can hurt you as much as help you. Y.P. is a racket that's becoming as outdated as newspapers...
Good luck. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts