Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has finnaly come and I am ready to fire up the new engine.
The engine has been pimed with oil and is ready to go. My question though is, the fuel system is dry and the oil cooler system lines are dry with the exception of the oil filters,I am running a mechanical fuel pump, should the fuel system be primed and should the oil cooler lines be filled and if so how should it be done? Should I pre fill the fuel filter?....Thanks....Hal

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Well the time has finnaly come and I am ready to fire up the new engine.
The engine has been pimed with oil and is ready to go. My question though is, the fuel system is dry and the oil cooler system lines are dry with the exception of the oil filters,I am running a mechanical fuel pump, should the fuel system be primed and should the oil cooler lines be filled and if so how should it be done? Should I pre fill the fuel filter?....Thanks....Hal
Your oil cooler lines will be filled shortly after the engine starts spinning over. Just go back and check the oil level after you get it fired since some oil is now gonna be filling the hoses and cooler. I'd fill the fuel filter if it's a style that allows you to easily pre-fill it.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
For easy starting I typically fill the float bowls through the vent tubes.. Cut a beer can in half and add fuel.. Once that is done push on all the accelerator pumps until fuel comes out.. Once it's running everything should prime..

·
Registered
746 Posts
lol yeah all that and put the dizzy in the right way ... 180 out on a first fire sux nads ....

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Why are the oil lines and cooler filled from the priming. did you prime this on a stand? I like prime it as an assembly. That way any leaks that may pop will get got before I fire the engine.

stix is right. Prime the carb my filling the bowls. Never crank an engine till you have fuel. Once the engine fires, fuel will be at the carbs long before the carbs run out. No, you don't need to prime the fuel filter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Why are the oil lines and cooler not filled from the priming. did you prime this on a stand? I like prime it as an assembly. That way any leaks that may pop will get got before I fire the engine.
fixed it for ya. seemed odd to me too. prime the entire oil system, not just part of it.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts / opinions on cam break in on a new build -thanks moose
What cam??? Is it a roller or flat or maybe a hydraulic? For what its worth I do not know how long it has been sitting or if the feul system has been touched. If it were me I would grab an electric pump and flush the feul system prior to firing. Nothing worse than sending a bunch of nasties into a carb during initial fire-up. You know, the old float stuck vac passages getting plugged, that whole bag of bummers! M

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why are the oil lines and cooler filled from the priming. did you prime this on a stand? I like prime it as an assembly. That way any leaks that may pop will get got before I fire the engine.

stix is right. Prime the carb my filling the bowls. Never crank an engine till you have fuel. Once the engine fires, fuel will be at the carbs long before the carbs run out. No, you don't need to prime the fuel filter.
The oil cooler and lines are mounted in the boat. It is not a block mounted oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What cam??? Is it a roller or flat or maybe a hydraulic? For what its worth I do not know how long it has been sitting or if the feul system has been touched. If it were me I would grab an electric pump and flush the feul system prior to firing. Nothing worse than sending a bunch of nasties into a carb during initial fire-up. You know, the old float stuck vac passages getting plugged, that whole bag of bummers! M
It is a full roller engine and all fuel lines are brand new.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is mine. All the more reason to test everything as an assembly. Connect everything, and then prime the engine. That way you not only priming everything, your also checking everything for leaks
gn7 ,I think I understand what you are saying now,put the engine in the boat and conect every thing and then prime the whole system.

What about water ,as there is no water pump or Tstat and I do not have the jet pump in, I have made a hose adapter to conect to the water fitting on the transom plate. Is there a certain amount of presure to push the water thru the engine that I should be carefull with? I am set up with two dumps out the back....H

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i filled the float bowls fuel squirting out when pressing on the accel pumps opened the throtle turned the key over and two reveloutions and it fired right up ran for about two seconds and died. pressed on pumps again no fuel ,Filled the bowls again gave a few squirts turned it over and it fired right up ran for a second or two and died, advanced the timing slightly, repeated and fired up and ran and died.
I removed the coil wire ,pulled the fuel line from the pump to the fuel log,turned the engine over a few revolutions and nothing,no fuel pumping out,pulled the fuel filter off and it is dry. filled the filter and turned over a few revolutions, still no fuel pumps out, just for shits and giggles i disconected the lines from the tanks to the T and blew air back thru to tank to clear pick ups. still no fuel pumping out.
I would think that if the pump is working ,that when I filled the filer it would pump fuel out ,right?
Do I have a no operational Mechanical fuel pump? Is there any way to test the pump without the engine running and no presure regulator. I pulled both feeder line snd supply line and had the engine turing over with my finger over the fittings on the suction side and the presure side and could barley even feel suction nor presure. Engine runs as long as there is fuel in th carb but it appears that there is n fuel making it to the carbs...Hal

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Just because you put fuel in the filter does not mean it will pump that fuel. It needs fuel behind it, or it will just suck air past the filter.
If you disconnect the fuel line from the pump, and put you thumb over the inlet, and spin the motor, it should suck on you thumb pretty good.

Do your fuel lines come into the tanks from the top with a dip tube? Or from the bottom at the back. Is the trailer nose down, and is there enough fuel to get the fuel to the lines in the back?

If the lines come into the tank at the bottom, have you tried loosening them to verify fuel present at the tank outlet?

If one tank is low, and they are Tee'd together, your sucking air, not fuel. If all the lines are new, you need to be certain there are no air leaks anywhere along the lines. One air leak will stop it from sucking fuel. Come on holorinal, you have sucked on a straw with a hole in it before. No different.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just because you put fuel in the filter does not mean it will pump that fuel. It needs fuel behind it, or it will just suck air past the filter.
If you disconnect the fuel line from the pump, and put you thumb over the inlet, and spin the motor, it should suck on you thumb pretty good.

Do your fuel lines come into the tanks from the top with a dip tube? Or from the bottom at the back. Is the trailer nose down, and is there enough fuel to get the fuel to the lines in the back?

If the lines come into the tank at the bottom, have you tried loosening them to verify fuel present at the tank outlet?

If one tank is low, and they are Tee'd together, your sucking air, not fuel. If all the lines are new, you need to be certain there are no air leaks anywhere along the lines. One air leak will stop it from sucking fuel. Come on holorinal, you have sucked on a straw with a hole in it before. No different.
1) When sinning the motor and thumb over the inlet suction is almost non existant, I can barely feel a faint amount of suction.
2)The fuel lines come into a bung on the top of the tank with a dip tube, there is 5 gallons of fuel in each tank and the nose of the boat is slightly raised.
3) tomarrow i will test all the lines to see if there are any air leaks.

I filled the bowls again and fired it back up . It ran for a few seconds and I was able to get a gander of the fuel presure gauge and at 3500 it was reading about 2-3 psi. not good I asume. Also I dicovered that I have an oil leak where the fuel pump bolts to the block:mad: i checked the bolts and they are tight, maybe my builder screwd up the gasket when he installed the pump. makes me wonder about the pushrod now! nothing more I can do tonight with an oil leak. I will pull the fuel pump tomarrow to see what is going on. Maybe I will pick up a new pump just in case I do not like what i see. I appreciate You Guys help....Hal

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
1) When sinning the motor and thumb over the inlet suction is almost non existant, I can barely feel a faint amount of suction.
2)The fuel lines come into a bung on the top of the tank with a dip tube, there is 5 gallons of fuel in each tank and the nose of the boat is slightly raised.
3) tomarrow i will test all the lines to see if there are any air leaks.

I filled the bowls again and fired it back up . It ran for a few seconds and I was able to get a gander of the fuel presure gauge and at 3500 it was reading about 2-3 psi. not good I asume. Also I dicovered that I have an oil leak where the fuel pump bolts to the block:mad: i checked the bolts and they are tight, maybe my builder screwd up the gasket when he installed the pump. makes me wonder about the pushrod now! nothing more I can do tonight with an oil leak. I will pull the fuel pump tomarrow to see what is going on. Maybe I will pick up a new pump just in case I do not like what i see. I appreciate You Guys help....Hal
I think at this point I would pull the mechanical pump and check for problems with the push rod itself. You will not get an accurate reading from the gauge till all the air is out. M

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok well i pulled the fuel pump. i found my oil leak. The hole that is used to insert the pump push rod has no plug in it. apparently My builder forgot to put a plug in the hole after he put the pushrod in and installed the pump and yes the pushrod is in there.
When I operate the pump by hand There is no suction at all and very slight pressure on the outlet side, just as when i did it while spinning the motor.
There should be a fair amount of suction and pressure ,right? i am in the process of going thru my lines now....Hal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts