Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first blower build so i have a couple questions i would apreciate some help with. Im building the 540 bbc for use in my 21 daytona. Probably will not spin it much over 6000. i have a 671 that will run aprox 10% over. I have two Holley 750 dp ill be using.
1. I see most applications have the carbs sideways. my setup is inline are there pros or cons for either way besides jet access?
2. My Carbs are not boost referenced, is that good idea to do on a lake boat?
3. Do most of you guys run a balancer with the blower pulley on the crank? If so which balancer would you recommend.
4. I have a high rise blower manifold (in pics) that i have never seen before nor can i find a name on. Any info for me, any good??

Thanks

Attachments

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
This is my first blower build so i have a couple questions i would apreciate some help with. Im building the 540 bbc for use in my 21 daytona. Probably will not spin it much over 6000. i have a 671 that will run aprox 10% over. I have two Holley 750 dp ill be using.
1. I see most applications have the carbs sideways. my setup is inline are there pros or cons for either way besides jet access?
2. My Carbs are not boost referenced, is that good idea to do on a lake boat?
3. Do most of you guys run a balancer with the blower pulley on the crank? If so which balancer would you recommend.
4. I have a high rise blower manifold (in pics) that i have never seen before nor can i find a name on. Any info for me, any good??

Thanks

Two therorys on the balancer - I would run one for a lake boat that doesn't see regular tear downs .. My .002
some say they hub acts as a balancer and absorbs the harmonics .. Like i said for a lake app - Make it bullet proof

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Boy, this is going to get good. You asked many questions that are very controversial or open to personal preference. There will be some pissing and moaning here.
Carbs... jetting, yes.
Boost reference... yes.
Balancer... yes no maybe
Wags

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Let me the idiot here hell I dont care ...what the hell is the diff if the bowls are sideways as far as jetting and what is boost reference?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
There is no controversy in his questions Wags.
Carb adaptor. Pain in the ass to jet. Other than that, very little if any difference.
Boost reference. On a lake boat...absolutely
The manifold...appears to be an adator on a tunnel ram. Home made?

Balancer? Do not even consider running a blown lake boat without one. No one has ever said the hub acts a balancer. There are however, some very misguided people who think the blower belt acts a a damper. Do not believe it. The blower has its own issues it makes the crank live with. No blower ever made life easier on the crank. Get a damper. Top end deal, ATI Super Damper, more of a budget deal, Romac, or Pro Race. All 3 make blower specfic dampers with the pulley bolt pattern in them. No adaptors needed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Ah, but does it help with torsional twist.;) As for harmonics. Why bother with dampers at all. Every car has belts. Don't they absorb the harmonics?
Ya just put a chain coupler there instead. lol

I agree with GN7 btw so x2

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Let me the idiot here hell I dont care ...what the hell is the diff if the bowls are sideways as far as jetting and what is boost reference?
When the carbs are sideways, you can remove all the bowls to access the jets. When they are inline, you have to remove one carb to get access to the rear of the front carb, and the front bowl of the rear carb.

Boost referencing allows the carbs to see the manifold vacuum/pressure, instead of under the carb. Which in a blower deal creates hi vacuum under the carb, and would cause the carb to never open the power valve. When the carn sees the manifold pressure, or low vacuum, the power valve is able to open.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
carbs

Hey gn7 i was wondering also about the boost reference deal i have always ran a enderle hat but have been thinking about building a blown carbed lake motor, what do they do to the crabs to boost reference them. You run carbs on your boat right

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks Bob but how can I tell if the carbs were boost referenced mine have no power valves and the guy who made them seems to be a prick and wont answer emails just go easy okay?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The boost referencing is for the power valves.

Also, make damn sure the linkage is 1:1. Don't just bolt on the 1:1 kit and assume its ok. It won't be.
Progressive linkage on sideways carbs = 4 rich cyls or happy and 4 lean cyls or not happy.
Wags

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Personally I am a balancer guy. Had one on my lake jet. Still have it on the PE piece. (cause I was already setup with spacing, pulley, etc).
Wags

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
BTW, I am not a blower expert or anything like that but... the street pealer I just finished (well, a few month ago) runs its balls off.
Balancer, boost referenced carbs, sideways mounted, locked advance, 400 -5%. He was at 5 or 6 over and it was so bad the owner was scared. I had him back it down to underdriven. Now he says it is driveable. Before he said it just wanted to run. I don't think he has been to full throttle yet, though. Starts with key turn, he loves it. Said he never knew how great it cold be.
Good luck.
Listen to those that know.
Wags

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the input guys. will definitely be running the balancer then.. and ill get started on the carbs. they had the power valves blocked with huge jets in before so ill take them back down with the power valve. Any recommendations for the jetting for a base line? Put the original jets the carb came with or slightly bigger for blower?
Carbs are 4150 750 dp mech secd.

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
Progressive linkage on sideways carbs = 4 rich cyls or happy and 4 lean cyls or not happy.
Wags
I had progressive linkage on my Dominators and never had any problems with lean cylinders. It was nice to be able to cruise without being into the secondaries. Saved fuel which was a plus with E85.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
that manifold is an old Edelbrock tunnel ram that originally came with a dominator top with the carbs kicked at an angle kinda like an old torker!
the power band was 7000-9000rpm! forget the model#, but I had one:D
looks like they took the top off and bolted a plate on it for the blower!
should work fine-and the OOOOHHHH factor is definately there!

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Also, make damn sure the linkage is 1:1. Don't just bolt on the 1:1 kit and assume its ok. It won't be.
Wags
So, on normal in-line mounting, cylinders 1 & 2 / and / 4 & 6 are happy on the primaries? Uh - NO. There is PLENTY of plenum on most tunnel rams to get all cylinders happily fed under primary throttle.

On a 6-71 blower, WHEREVER the fuel/air comes from - it gets twisted all together through the rotors. It could come out of only ONE venturi (barrel) and it would end up in all 8 cylinders.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts