Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
drink the ugly away
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm a newb and my name is oriah. this is my first jet boat, i just got it and dont know a whole lot about it or jet boats in general. i plan on rebuilding it myself and could use any and all the info you veterans have for me. now here is what i know and or was told about the boat. it is a 19' and was made by tahiti in 72 so i was told, altough the title says sea ray made in 71. it has a 455 olds? and a berkley jc

so, yeah like i said give me your thoughts

·
Banned
1,517 Posts
you have alot of work ahead of you have you taken on any project like this before?

·
drink the ugly away
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have alot of work ahead of you have you taken on any project like this before?

never done a boat before but do have exp working with glass building sub enclosures. also have exp with big block gm motors and a bunch of exp with paint, i'm hoping i can hadle it. pretty confident

·
Banned
989 Posts
maybe its the picture but it looks like a 17footer. i guess you have to ask yourself what do you want to get out of this boat(ski boat, lake boat, etc...). if you are into restoring things then go for it. looks like alot of work for what it would be. IMO for what some jet boats are selling for these days, you could probably be on the water alot cheaper & faster.

·
Banned
989 Posts
oh, and welcome to the site! :)

·
Banned
1,517 Posts
Yeah welcome aboard!:D thats what I was thinking lots of work for a 3-4k boat when you are done- but thats what its all about:Dfor some of us- if you enjoy the work its worth it !

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Get with "old rigger" here on the boards. He will be able to tell you if it is a Tahiti or not, and if it is, he can tell you almost anything you want to know about the boat (he used to work for Tahiti):D

Also, the best advice I can give you, is to search through the forums here and just start reading, anything that sounds related to what you're doing.

I would really recommend looking at the thread "holorinhal" started on his boat that he is rebuilding called "'73 Kona Resto Build II", it is basically a brand new boat now.:))eek:))

Another very good thread is "Sounds like a smoking deal" started by "BUSBY" about "Squirtcha?"s boat, that thread has a lot of good info on building a boat.

And my boat build thread is filled with a lot of what not to do!lol:D

There is tons of information on the boards about anything boat related, I don't think I would be where I am now without these forums because my boat is my very first boat and I didn't grow up around boats either, and there's not a lot of resources here on the east coast about jet boats.

Best of luck to ya.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Opps, forgot. Welcome to the boards!!!:D

Yeah, you might want to measure that thing, it looks tiny in the picture. Here's a side shot of my 19' (when I first got it) for comparison.

:)hand

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
It may actually be a 16 Tahiti, I had a 1973 18' tahiti as my first boat. Those were great years and I thought it was soo fast. Buy was I in for a surprise when GPS's became affordable. Luckily, other boats became within my price range as well. Welcome to the boards. Like some others have said, You really need to assess the amount of work and money you want to invest in a boat that small that only seats 2-3 people tight. You are off to a good start. Worst case scenario, rob it of the pump and motor and controls and buy a bare hull on craigs list and sell this hull on CL then e-bay the small stuff to raise money to get the parts you need. Really look into the repainting over metal flake too. Todd here on the boards, toddnjuzz, is very knowledgable. One thing I can say for my tahiti, is is was a learning experience for sure and some of the greatest years of my boating life and prior to owning it I had no boat experience. The previous owner of my tahiti has many fond memories and great experience with it is on here as well as Lickitysplit, If you want to see some of where you will be in a few years after learning the ropes and followint the good advice that is available here, there is a good thread on my boats and friends on the east county boat crew thread here too. Again, Welcome to the boards now get to work.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
It may actually be a 16 Tahiti, I had a 1973 18' tahiti as my first boat. Those were great years and I thought it was soo fast. Buy was I in for a surprise when GPS's became affordable. Luckily, other boats became within my price range as well. Welcome to the boards. Like some others have said, You really need to assess the amount of work and money you want to invest in a boat that small that only seats 2-3 people tight. You are off to a good start. Worst case scenario, rob it of the pump and motor and controls and buy a bare hull on craigs list and sell this hull on CL then e-bay the small stuff to raise money to get the parts you need. Really look into the repainting over metal flake too. Todd here on the boards, toddnjuzz, is very knowledgable. One thing I can say for my tahiti, is is was a learning experience for sure and some of the greatest years of my boating life and prior to owning it I had no boat experience. The previous owner of my tahiti has many fond memories and great experience with it is on here as well as Lickitysplit, If you want to see some of where you will be in a few years after learning the ropes and followint the good advice that is available here, there is a good thread on my boats and friends on the east county boat crew thread here too. Again, Welcome to the boards now get to work.
Yeah, that boat that Mitch built is insane!!!:)devil

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
What are your plans for the boat? Are you going to keep the 455?

·
drink the ugly away
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What are your plans for the boat? Are you going to keep the 455?

my plans are to try to keep all the same lines that the boat has now.
i'll be rebuilding the fire wall? i think it's called but not sure if that's what you would call it in a boat. i will also be rebuilding the motor hatch with a bigger fully functional scoop and ram air intake system.
i'm working on a conceptual drawing for the paint skeem and will post that shortly
i'm going to build the motor good enough to get one good summer of play out of it while i'm building a honda/acura tl type s v6 for it. once i get that in thier i'll make the decision of wether i want to rebuild the 455. i'm not really looking to make a race boat just a fun rec boat ski/wakeboarding. but it will be fast for sure.

i'll probably end up editing this post and turning it into my build thead if possible

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Honda V6???:)eh:)

Why you wanna downsize???:confused:

You gonna put any turbos on it or anything?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
my plans are to try to keep all the same lines that the boat has now.
i'll be rebuilding the fire wall? i think it's called but not sure if that's what you would call it in a boat. i will also be rebuilding the motor hatch with a bigger fully functional scoop and ram air intake system.
i'm working on a conceptual drawing for the paint skeem and will post that shortly
i'm going to build the motor good enough to get one good summer of play out of it while i'm building a honda/acura tsx type s v6 for it. once i get that in thier i'll make the decision of wether i want to rebuild the 455. i'm not really looking to make a race boat just a fun rec boat ski/wakeboarding. but it will be fast for sure.

i'll probably end up editing this post and turning it into my build thead if possible

BAD IDEA!!! You will spend more trying to get parts to make it work in a marine application than you would buying a chevy or redoing the olds.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/boa/731432391.html

·
drink the ugly away
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honda V6???:)eh:)

Why you wanna downsize???:confused:

You gonna put any turbos on it or anything?

downsize?
in what way?

i built one of these motors for my friends sand rail and its pushing 540hp na. it's a four seater and it does wheelie's though third gear with all four seats full.
sure it's smaller because it's short two cylinders but it can make just as much power, plus it's mpfi, uses less gas and honda motors have an insane power band that gm and ford motors dont.
but i'm going to do more research into what it's going to take to run it and may not end up doing it, although that is what i want to do

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
downsize?
in what way?

i built one of these motors for my friends sand rail and its pushing 540hp na. it's a four seater and it does wheelie's though third gear with all four seats full.
sure it's smaller because it's short two cylinders but it can make just as much power, plus it's mpfi, uses less gas and honda motors have an insane power band that gm and ford motors dont.
but i'm going to do more research into what it's going to take to run it and may not end up doing it, although that is what i want to do
Yes.......but, a sand rail is a completely different animal than a jet boat. Jets don't have transmissions and they run in water (lots of drag).

Jet boats aren't made for gas mileage, if you want that, then go buy a whacker!l):ame There's a reason that there are more big block jets than small block or V6 jets.;)

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Yes.......but, a sand rail is a completely different animal than a jet boat. Jets don't have transmissions and they run in water (lots of drag).

Jet boats aren't made for gas mileage, if you want that, then go buy a whacker!l):ame There's a reason that there are more big block jets than small block or V6 jets.;)
hey I have a 327!:|err

To me it comes down to price. Yea you want to be able to rebuild what you just bought But at what price? You can buy a good condition Bare hull and stick a motor in there for about half the price to rebuild your current boat.

Jet Boats get expensive fast!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts