Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first say tha I am in no way your typical first time boat buyer. I have spent a good part of my life on many boats and have had the fortune of driving and experiencing just about every type of boat there is.being from southern California I have spent most of my time on lake havasu and lake mead so my interest has always been focused on performance boats. Being a custom audio fabricator and designer i have also had the pleasure of dismantling a wide variety of boats which has taught me a great deal about how the various boat manufacturers build there boats. I have spent the past 3 years learning as much as I can about a few key builders who build quality boats that I would love to own. As for what I feel comfortable with I am looking for a v bottom boat in the 22 to 24 foot range, single engine (obviously) and open bow, I would prefer a cuddy cabin but would be open to a walk through. In all my research I always find myself looking at either the eliminator 230 eagle xp and the cobra 230 viper. Im looking for 496 mag ho power. What I need now are some serious reviews on both of these boats and some feedback from current or previous owners. Any information would be helpfull.

·
VOTE!
2,123 Posts
There are a number of great choices in that size range, the two you pointed out are among them. One question you may ask yourself is how many people will typically be in the boat at a given time? There are boats in that size range that have larger seating areas than others. I have small kids, so the idea of a cuddy appeals to me, although I don't own one, but the ease of movement in a boat that has a decent sized seating area and a walkthrough is very nice.

Since others are offering opinions, I would look at the Essex 24' Valor, Essex 23' Monarch, Lavey 24' New Era, Hallett 24, Howard 25, and Shockwave 25' Tremor. I personally think the passenger seating and swimstep configuration of the Essex line is the most comfortable and convenient, although you won't win any races in any of their boats.

Enjoy the search. Whether buying new or used, it is a buyer's market.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a number of great choices in that size range, the two you pointed out are among them. One question you may ask yourself is how many people will typically be in the boat at a given time? There are boats in that size range that have larger seating areas than others. I have small kids, so the idea of a cuddy appeals to me, although I don't own one, but the ease of movement in a boat that has a decent sized seating area and a walkthrough is very nice.

Since others are offering opinions, I would look at the Essex 24' Valor, Essex 23' Monarch, Lavey 24' New Era, Hallett 24, Howard 25, and Shockwave 25' Tremor. I personally think the passenger seating and swimstep configuration of the Essex line is the most comfortable and convenient, although you won't win any races in any of their boats.

Enjoy the search. Whether buying new or used, it is a buyer's market.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately one of my limitations is overall towing weight. With my current tow vehicle I can only tow a max of 5000 lbs. I have upgraded brakes, trans cooler, load support and will be adding a trailer brake system when I make my decision. The largest boat that I can tow is probably going to be 24 foot. I have researched all of those boats and while they are all really quality boats I still find myself leaning towards cobra and eliminator. I do like the Lavey and the Howard but i just can't get excited about either. Lavey is located rite down the street from me so I will have to go down there and get into one to see if they can change my mind. My dad has a Daytona which is an amazing boat which pushes me towards eliminator but I have a feeling it would be out of my price range.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Lake Mead and Lake Havasu....If you like the Eliminator Eagles, you might want to look at the 25/26 XPs w/cubby open bows..

The larger boat might be more too your liking on Lake Mead and Havasu, since both lakes can be extremely choppy, at times.

Couple pics, bigger boats, nicer on rough lakes. Left Pic(25 Eagle), Right Pic(26), very similar. Keep Us Posted !!! Good Luck!

used_elim1.jpg 26%20STOCK%203.jpg

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Hey Downriver!

I, too, am biased towards LaveyCraft but I urge you to definitely check them out. Ask for Chris Camire.

The 24' NuEra is one of the strongest performing boats in the line-up and generally larger than most others 24's. Lavey's boats are measured from actual running length. As most will agree, their in-gel graphics are also amongst the best!

As you are more experienced than the average buyer, I'm sure you will appreciate the build process and overall quality of a LaveyCraft. Chris will answer any and all questions you might have.

Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help you with and good luck!

·
Essex Junkie
149 Posts
I will throw another vote for an Essex boat. They are well known for their hulls and interior quality. The 23' Monarch is what I have and it is well below 5000 lbs. Seats 10 people pretty comfortably. I have a 454/Bravo3 and the boat will get up close to 58mph with full tanks.

Funny how there is a post showing a boat at Boaters Outlet in Upland...that is where I bought my boat. The owner Ted is a super stand up guy and he gets his boats serviced locally at Concept Marine. You can do a test run locally at Puddingstone to make sure you know what you are getting.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I will throw another vote for an Essex boat. They are well known for their hulls and interior quality. The 23' Monarch is what I have and it is well below 5000 lbs. Seats 10 people pretty comfortably. I have a 454/Bravo3 and the boat will get up close to 58mph with full tanks.

Funny how there is a post showing a boat at Boaters Outlet in Upland...that is where I bought my boat. The owner Ted is a super stand up guy and he gets his boats serviced locally at Concept Marine. You can do a test run locally at Puddingstone to make sure you know what you are getting.
I agree. Essex also a great boat.!:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
I agree. Essex also a great boat.!:))THumbsUp
which also build laser, at a lower cost but made by the same people and same shop. i have one and this boat does everything and more i want it to do..its the 24 blade model, oh its for sale and listed on riverdavesplace.com..:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
343 Posts
which also build laser, at a lower cost but made by the same people and same shop. i have one and this boat does everything and more i want it to do..its the 24 blade model, oh its for sale and listed on riverdavesplace.com..:))THumbsUp
Good call on the Laser MM, another nice boat. He might be interested, you should post a pic? He's wants a 496 though?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts