Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok I'm new to this forum and the boating scene. Our family just purchased a vacation home in Lake Havasu. So my question is any recommendations for a first time boat owner for Lake Havasu and its conditions? Listed below are some things I'm hoping to be able to do and get out of the boat.

(items listed below are in order of priority)
1) try to stay under a 20k budget
2) Looking for deck or open bow boat that has room for the whole family
3) Would like something that has decent power to run up and down the lake (dont need to be the fastest but dont want to be the slowest.
4) Nothing to small as ive seen when the big boats (rough water) hit the water I dont want to fear being ran over.
5) Look good

I know this might be a lot to ask for the budget we have but this is all new to us.
Thanks for any help you could offer.
-Brian-

·
Got Beer?
434 Posts
IMO... nothing smaller than 24' . . . check Boatbrokers in town thay normally have plenty as do others. when you say fit the whole family.. define family (and the friends who will come) I have two kids, they would bring two friends...
I grew up with 9 brothers and sisters...
do you want us to fit in the boat with our friends :)

if you are putting the boat in your garage - make sure it fits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

I would say room for at'least 9. I'm assuming something with at'least a v8 motor? Anything to stay away from?? Sorry for the lame questions I just dont want to be stuck with someting ill regret. (wrong hull or length for our needs)

Thanks for your response ill check that place out when we go out at the end of the month.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
If you have never owned a boat before, I'd suggest renting some to get the feel of what it's like for the family. Lots of choices out there.
Room for 9? Suggest going pontoon...:)hand

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
If you have never owned a boat before, I'd suggest renting some to get the feel of what it's like for the family. Lots of choices out there.
Room for 9? Suggest going pontoon...:)hand
He does not want to be the slowest boat out there.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You may want to look at a 2005 Yahama 23' jet boat. They are very reliable, safe for children, and should be priced between 21-23K. Pontoon boats would be another choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boat

This might help the opinions but most people on the boat would be adults. (family boat for adults) No children unless friends brought them along. 9 passengers would be the most with extra family or friends that come out for the weekend. Pontoons are fun but id also like to have the ability for me and my gf to come out and do some running around the lake at a moderate speed. I know Im asking a lot for the money but any opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Boat Brokers & RV - Lake Havasu City, Arizona - New and Used Boat Sales & RV Salesomething like this good or bad for havasu and what we were looking for???

·
Registered
432 Posts
This might help the opinions but most people on the boat would be adults. (family boat for adults) No children unless friends brought them along. 9 passengers would be the most with extra family or friends that come out for the weekend. Pontoons are fun but id also like to have the ability for me and my gf to come out and do some running around the lake at a moderate speed. I know Im asking a lot for the money but any opinions are welcome.
I have a 24' Hallett open bow 600 hp nice all around boat in good shape the open bow makes it very roomy you can see it at nordic boats or call me at 982-855-7420 ask for bart

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Honestly with your goals, needed passenger room and budget, Id strongly consider a 23'+ Ebtide or Chapparal Deck Boat. They ride decent, have plenty of room, very user friendly, reliable power, cheap to insure, cruise a respectable speed and not too bad on the fuel bill.

I think if you looked hard enough you can find quite a few priced around 20k.

My buddy bought a 23 or 24' Chapparal for his first boat. He's had it for about 5 summers now and loves it. Not the hottest looking boat nor the fastest (although maybe the loudest with his insane stereo haha). But it gets the job done, its very roomy, and it beats a pontoon boat any day. pontoons suck.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Don't get a pontoon unless you plan to stay close to the launch ramp. 25 - 45 MPH is really slow getting up to the bars at Topock and Moabi, or even to the good fishing spots. Get a "custom" boat, and a good sized V-8. We had a Cheetah 23 footer wit a 6.2 stroker motor for years, and the kids have it now. We've had 14 people in that boat, and it doesn't have issues (Like looking like it will sink).

·
Registered
285 Posts
What you want is obtainable but you have to be patient and look every day for something to pop up. I picked up my boat in Havasu recently from the original owner and I could not be happier and is something along the same lines of what would fit your needs. I did not call for a week or two because I thought it was a scam due to the price. I got a 98 shockwave 25ft open bow mid cuddy with a 454 mag, bravo one, trim tabs, full length swim step, rex power silencers, bimini top, and it has a deep v for the rough stuff. Will seat 12 but 9 is plenty comfortable and I picked it up for under $20k.:)devil However I have never seen another one in that price range ever. I was looking at buying a Howard 220 offshore, not quite as big as my shockwave but will handle the rough stuff and is huge for a 22 footer. Here is an example of a Howard I was going to look at, price is over $20k but it has been for sale for a while and might be had for under $18K. 9 people would be pushing it though.

Used 1996 Howard Custom Boats Off Shore, WESTLAKE VILLAGE CA - 98589068 - BoatTrader.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Honestly with your goals, needed passenger room and budget, Id strongly consider a 23'+ Ebtide or Chapparal Deck Boat. They ride decent, have plenty of room, very user friendly, reliable power, cheap to insure, cruise a respectable speed and not too bad on the fuel bill.

I think if you looked hard enough you can find quite a few priced around 20k.

My buddy bought a 23 or 24' Chapparal for his first boat. He's had it for about 5 summers now and loves it. Not the hottest looking boat nor the fastest (although maybe the loudest with his insane stereo haha). But it gets the job done, its very roomy, and it beats a pontoon boat any day. pontoons suck.
This is the route I would go with too in your situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you guys so much for info keep them coming. I'm learning everyday...decisions decisions. Is it hard to finance a used boat these days??? Should we be coming in with cash only???

·
Registered
285 Posts
For me the easiest way to get my boat financed was to refinance my truck through my credit union and get cash from it. Also the apr was less than half of what it was for a boat loan. 4.75% for 72 months.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mid 2000's Hurricanne deck boat, 22', 200 Injected Merc., good in rough water, lot's of room, good on fuel, changing room, pull skiers, will hit 50 mph + with six people, can fit eleven people, ice chest and two dogs. Not flashy, not alot of coin either, nice boat - Powell boat!!!!!!!!!!

Bought mine in 2005, love It.

Anyone can pedal a bicycle, can you pedal a flat?????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice

Thanks for the options everyone. I come from an off road racing background so I'm always into something performance oriented. But I also need to have something my mother and father wont be afraid of using when they go out alone. I'm leaning to some of the sportier looking boats but i just need to go look at them in person. What ive gotten so far is bigger is better???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts