Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm glad I found a group devoted to my favorite past time. I think my gf was getting very tired of hearing about the boats.

I read through the seloc manual and decided that I had the knowledge to rebuild my 12JC. So far that remains to be seen.

I got it all apart; the old impeller was in bad shape and was grinding into the wear ring. I'm pretty sure the shaft was bent. I had another 12JE with a new impeller and good shaft. I ordered a B overhaul kit and replaced the ring, bearing, seals and packing rings. With no shims the impeller grinds. With four shims the impeller turns smooth in 3/4 of a turn and rubs lightly on 1/4.

I figured that once the bowl was installed it would center the shaft and it wouldn't rub. However once the bowl is torqued it completely locks up the shaft and it won't turn. It doesn't look like the impeller is rubbing on the bowl but I can't say for sure.

I really appreciate any suggestions you guys have

Thanks
Josh

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
1) are you torquing it down evenly?
2) are your clearances correct between the impeller and wear ring?
3) maybe too many shims?
4) is the bearing in the bowl alright?
5) is the shaft you're using the right one?
6) I'm far from being knowledgeable about setting up jets so hopefully someone else chimes in :D
and finally
7) one of the best sources of information beside is Tom @ Jet Boat Performance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
put clay in a couple spots on the bowl side of the impeller and bolt the bowl back up and see if you have and clearance. Sounds to me like the bowl is touching the impeller.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I got it all apart; the old impeller was in bad shape and was grinding into the wear ring. I'm pretty sure the shaft was bent. I had another 12JE with a new impeller and good shaft. I ordered a B overhaul kit and replaced the ring, bearing, seals and packing rings. With no shims the impeller grinds. With four shims the impeller turns smooth in 3/4 of a turn and rubs lightly on 1/4.
Was this before reinstalling the bowl ?

I figured that once the bowl was installed it would center the shaft and it wouldn't rub. However once the bowl is torqued it completely locks up the shaft and it won't turn. It doesn't look like the impeller is rubbing on the bowl but I can't say for sure.
How did the bowl install? was it easy or did you have to force it?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The register on the suction housing isn't adequate for locating the bowl/shaft. Start the bowl bolts, but do not tighten. Then, stand the assembly on the bowl exit side and play with bowl placement while spinning the shaft. When you can't hear anything, tighten the bolts. If its still tight, you have a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts