Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SLOW MEMBER
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my 16 foot Aqua-Craft today. It has an olds-mo-pile 455 in it with a few aftermarket parts in it, nothing fancy. Besides for a couple of small leaks it ran pretty good. The engine runs excellent, but the gear box seems to be making a little noise. At idle it rattles a little bit, at full throttle, there is this strange noise that seems to be coming from the back of the boat around the prop area. The prop is a three blade, and appears to be brass. Do these things make noise regularly? Any ideas would be great:)devil.

·
Upstanding Member
12,680 Posts
I ran my 16 foot Aqua-Craft today. It has an olds-mo-pile 455 in it with a few aftermarket parts in it, nothing fancy. Besides for a couple of small leaks it ran pretty good. The engine runs excellent, but the gear box seems to be making a little noise. At idle it rattles a little bit, at full throttle, there is this strange noise that seems to be coming from the back of the boat around the prop area. The prop is a three blade, and appears to be brass. Do these things make noise regularly? Any ideas would be great:)devil.

The prop won't make any noise (that you could hear), but how does the strut bushing look?

·
SLOW MEMBER
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I measured the boat and it is just over 17 feet long, the title says 16 foot.
I tried to wiggle the prop shaft up and down and it did not have any play in it, but I do not know for certain what the bushing looks like. That could be the noise I am hearing. Sounds like the prop is spinning on the shaft, although I know it is not. Thanks for the help, Ryan

·
SLOW MEMBER
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow thats one of the best examples of a minnesota hot boat I've ever seen.:)devil:)devil
I never said it was nice:)sphss just that the drive train was loud. The exhaust is very quiet, and it passes the MN 86db law that my blown jet does not:|err

It is actually a pretty solid boat, not all beat up and rotted. It does need some work, seats, drivetrain cover, and carpeting. With all of that fixed it will be a decent lake boat that I am not afraid to let bump the dock once in awhile.

·
yeah its ugly
113 Posts
wow I was just given a little chit:)hand its a neat little boat and its got two things going for it. First its got a v-drive, and second its not a jet or a whacker

taking cover
little john

ps I've spent a good portion of my life in MN and WI. and love it back there. Keep thinking about moving back for good

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,593 Posts
It's the 17...thanks Jerry. I would love to find a survivor of that hull. Best turning boat..(flatbottom) that I have ever driven. The reason you feel like the prop is slipping is because of "cavitation". At rpm's of about 2-3500 the prop will occasionally grab some aireated water and the rpm's will go up with no more gas. It feels and sounds as if somethiing is slipping...

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
The rattle in the V-drive is normal at idle, as the engine lopes the V-drive will clank a bit, nothing to worry about. Be sure it has oil in it (90 wt).
Enjoy your new ride.
David

·
SLOW MEMBER
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the oil before I took it out and it is full, I also made sure that the cooling system on the box was working good. It does not rattle all that bad at idle, maybe just a little.

The noise sure does sound like cavitation. Is that normal? Just drive through it, or do I need to change something. Thanks for the help guys, I really like how the boat drives and handles.

I broke something on my engine in my jet boat today out on lake superior and had to get towed by a wacker about 15 miles back to the landing.:mad: Looks like the v-drive is my new ride for awhile:)devil.

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,593 Posts
You could have a piss poor prop on it. If it drives through it then it really isn't a problem. More of an annoyance. Two blade props are even worse.

Don't carpet the boat. Just scrub those floors with soap and water and get all the grime up. The boat is a mess but with some TLC..(maybe tie the wiring up..) it could be alot better.

I think that boat was for sale somewhere. I remember seeing it. Just can't remember how long ago.

·
SLOW MEMBER
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that boat was for sale somewhere. I remember seeing it. Just can't remember how long ago.
I posted pictures of this boat last year asking if I should build this one, or another that I had. You had posted that this was a fun hull, just not a very stable one at high speeds. So I decided to put this one together, especially after the person I got it from offered me the original engine for cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
wow I was just given a little chit:)hand its a neat little boat and its got two things going for it. First its got a v-drive, and second its not a jet or a whacker

taking cover
little john

ps I've spent a good portion of my life in MN and WI. and love it back there. Keep thinking about moving back for good
Your a humble man i appreciate that,thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.