Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need imfo on flo coating the floor of my Daytona. Where to buy it , how to apply it etc... ?
Thanks Rick

·
" Live Laterally "
4,536 Posts
pm TRG or Riverdad.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Thats a good question to have answered on the forum. I need to know the same thing.

How do you flocoat and what do you use.

·
High Performance Marine
98 Posts
Just went thru this the past few weeks.
I Purchased Valspar "flow Coat" 5782C90002 . Be Careful the stuff goes bad Very Fast!!
I've used this product about 5 years ago and Loved it. I'm sorry to say that my love has changed after talking with TRG he turned me onto some Prestec available from Shurfab.
Stuff is nice and easy to work with, kicksoff with MEKP. Cleans up with Acetone.And after hardened it's SUPER Clear!!!
What I've always done as for prep work is 80 grit the floor then come back and 180 grit everything. The prestec must be sprayed on. I've tried a brush and does it look like $UKIn *hit.

Are you just re Flow coating your floor, or are you removing the carpet and changing the look?

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Sherfab unlimited in Ontario Ca Sher-Fab Unlimited Inc. Your First Choice For Composites they mail order product.
Pretty much clean 100% of dirt, grime, oil, glue...... EVERYTHING from the hull!
Sand until desired flatness for finish, essentially you need to mix the Prestec (I recommend this brand, its pretty much a problem free product!)
roll, brush or Spray it down, it will cure in open air and no PVA (Poly Vinyl Alcohol) will be needed for 100% cure, The manufacturer does not reccoment adding anything for thinning, I have added very small amounts of Acetone in the past (Less than 5-10%) and never once saw any issues, this product as well as the Duratech can be wet sanded for an even flatter finish such as clear on a car, but a very hard surface! so you may want to use a very fine paper before buff to make it easier on you and your knees.
I blasted through this rather quickly, so if I get anything wrong as the internet pro's pop in, please accept my deepest condolences for my Laziness, if there is any more questions, you can get more info from Ron at Sherfab, he will sit on the phone with you and paint a much prettier pic for you, after all, he'll be getting the sale! Their prices are pretty hard to beat these days.
TRG

·
Registered
520 Posts
About time we get this answered

We have all been talking about it around here. I am about to look and see if they have a website.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just went thru this the past few weeks.
I Purchased Valspar "flow Coat" 5782C90002 . Be Careful the stuff goes bad Very Fast!!
I've used this product about 5 years ago and Loved it. I'm sorry to say that my love has changed after talking with TRG he turned me onto some Prestec available from Shurfab.
Stuff is nice and easy to work with, kicksoff with MEKP. Cleans up with Acetone.And after hardened it's SUPER Clear!!!
What I've always done as for prep work is 80 grit the floor then come back and 180 grit everything. The prestec must be sprayed on. I've tried a brush and does it look like $UKIn *hit.

Are you just re Flow coating your floor, or are you removing the carpet and changing the look?
He is just making his Daytona look new inside, it has had a little rough use from the previous owner. I just want to make mine look fresh too.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Sher-fab is a great source X 5 for Prestec clear, it sprays just like auto paint, that is the beauty of it!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We talked to A.J. today at Sher fab & he said to just pour it on & spread it with a spreader. Anyone ever done this ?

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
for flat work maybe, keep in mind the thicker the coating, the more prone it is to cracking. Cheap HVLP gun with the biggest nozzle you can get, cover everything you don't want painted, with tape of plastic, and have at it. It's for giving as far as runs, or sags, but it will if applied too thick. Three coats is plenty of thickness, the smoother the starting surface the better the result. The Prestec recomends a minimum tooth of 220 to adhere.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just finished glassing in the new toe kick with West System.. I also used West System's #405 Filleting Blend Filler to thicken it up, that's the brown color seen in the fillets.

I was gonna sand it down to where it's smooth and looks better then spray some thinned down Epoxy/Hardener straight mix (no filler) through a cheapo Harbor Freight primer gun to get a nice "flow" like finish.. This is what I was recommended to do by the local V-Drive race shop in my area, I trust the guy a lot, but is there other products made better for this situation? The plywood is already sealed with a straight Resin/Hardener mix just poured on, it's about 1/16" to 3/32" thick.

I guess my question here is would this Prestec stuff be a better choice? Will it run on a vertical surface?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
520 Posts
got some on the way

Ordered some on Monday, will be here by end of the week. So yall think spraying is best? I have a hvlp gun that aint doin a thing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey Keith show some before and after pics. Sounds like some cool stuff... :)devil

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
We talked to A.J. today at Sher fab & he said to just pour it on & spread it with a spreader. Anyone ever done this ?
AJ is rons son and he does all of he Product testing there and color matching, good kid, learning alot, but all of their inhouse testing is dome merely of flat work, I dont think he fully understood what you may be doing, Just spray it, you will be very happy you did, Spreader will leave you some hoorrrrrrrrrible runs and puddles, dont even brush it either, Harbor freight cheap 460 gun will do you fine!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AJ is rons son and he does all of he Product testing there and color matching, good kid, learning alot, but all of their inhouse testing is dome merely of flat work, I dont think he fully understood what you may be doing, Just spray it, you will be very happy you did, Spreader will leave you some hoorrrrrrrrrible runs and puddles, dont even brush it either, Harbor freight cheap 460 gun will do you fine!
Sounds like the way to go .....Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Spraying it is! What size nozzle did you use on the hvlp sprayer?

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
X3 on the prestec:)devil

I used a $19 hvlp gun from harbor freight and drilled out the tip so it would spray
better.( drilled and tested one step at a time)

Listen to Todd and give sherfab a call they can walk you thru it step by step.

I also thinned mine with 10% acetone, be careful on the vertical surfaces it will sag
(ask me how I know)

this was done with TX2 and Prestec

1 - 20 of 48 Posts