Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is crazy. Why don't they spend a little less time & money evaluating it and figure out how to get rid of it?

It looks like the movie Idiocracy is prophecy.

Floating dump seen as deadly to the sea

Researchers study toxic Garbage Patch

By Mike Lee
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
2:00 a.m. August 28, 2009
A collection of garbage found on the expedition was displayed. Much of the area's debris is small, but it is still deadly to the ecosystem. (Howard Lipin / Union-Tribune) -

Related links

Scripps Environmental Accumulation of Plastic Expedition Website
Scripps Environmental Accumulation of Plastic Expedition Course Map

Miriam Goldstein of UCSD's Scripps Institution of Oceanography was the lead scientists on the trip to the Pacific Garbage Patch. (Howard Lipin / Union-Tribune)

LA JOLLA — Fresh from a 20-day voyage to a Texas-size vortex of plastic trash called the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a team of La Jolla researchers yesterday showed samples of what it found floating about 1,000 miles off San Diego's coast.
Scientists from UCSD's Scripps Institution of Oceanography used nets to collect debris for a study to highlight how the trash is damaging an ecosystem that few people ever see and few marine biologists have assessed. The refuse — discarded carelessly on land and at sea — eventually converges in an area known as the North Pacific Gyre, where trade winds can trap it for years.
Scripps and the nonprofit venture Project Kaisei in San Francisco each sent a ship to the site. The combined projects, which cost an estimated $850,000, amounted to the most comprehensive research effort to date focused on plastic trash in that gyre.
The debris can kill marine life and could have more insidious effects, such as concentrating poisons in the food chain.
“This is one environmental disaster that most people still don't know about,” said Project Kaisei co-founder Douglas Woodring, who sailed on the New Horizon with the Scripps team. “We are trying to really bring it to a global level.”
Scripps researchers found an almost continuous string of plastic on the surface of the gyre as well as plastic flecks in deep-water samples.
Some objects were obvious — discarded fishing nets, plastic bottles, tarps. But “the vast majority of things we saw were small, about the size of your fingernail or smaller,” said Miriam Goldstein, chief scientist for the New Horizon expedition.
This decomposition makes it difficult to see from the air or via satellites, and seemingly less dramatic than the colorful Garbage Patch moniker.
“The ocean pretty much looks like ocean,” Goldstein said during a news conference at Scripps.
Goldstein and her colleagues will spend at least six months analyzing their samples to understand the density of debris, the types of plastic found and the potential ecological fallout for bacteria, plankton, fish and birds.
“We have a lot of work to do before we can say anything about the definite impact on marine life,” Goldstein said.
Scripps held the news conference anyway — an unusual move for an institution that typically waits until it has results to substantiate its endeavors.
Scripps director Tony Haymet said there has been substantial public interest in the gyre venture, which is known as the Scripps Environmental Accumulation of Plastic Expedition, or SEAPLEX. Since late July, the blog and Web site for SEAPLEX have together generated nearly 42,400 views from people in 90 countries, the institution's officials said.
So Scripps is seeking to form an alliance with other groups for a voyage to the South Pacific gyre, which is harder to reach partly because it's farther from San Diego.
That expedition could take place late next year or in 2011. Scripps pegged the cost at $2 million.
“We are afraid of what we're going to find in the South Pacific, but it's time to go,” Haymet said.
Plastic pollution of the ocean is a mess that Scripps might not only study but help solve, he said.
Some researchers are trying to see whether it's feasible to recover the plastic and turn it into fuel. They also want to increase public awareness about the importance of not discarding plastic at beaches or into waterways.
In San Diego and other coastal cities, garbage that isn't recycled or put into landfills often floats down creeks and storm drains to the ocean.
“We'd like to think that this problem is not a perpetual blight that we are leaving for all future generations,” Haymet said.
Union-Tribune

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...g-dump-seen-deadly-sea/?science&zIndex=156632

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If you can make $850K for sailing around and "studying" it, why pick it up? "There needs to be several more similar studies to really understand the patch". :)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can make $850K for sailing around and "studying" it, why pick it up? "There needs to be several more similar studies to really understand the patch". :)

Then you got my point. An opportunist with a PHD milking the grants. And we wonder why things are so screwed up.

A little less conversation and lot more action is what this calls for.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I guess it easier to talk about it and pat yourselves on the back, than to just go clean it up.:rolleyes: Theres big money in enviromental schemes, but no money for the man power.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Then you got my point. An opportunist with a PHD milking the grants. And we wonder why things are so screwed up.

A little less conversation and lot more action is what this calls for.
I'm currently applying for grant to study the effects of Pirates Cove the Colorado river. You know, boat traffic, water pollution, increased suicide rates; it will take a while.

I'm going to need several fast boats, maybe a pontoon and a house boat. Lots of petty cash for ice, food, drinks and to pay "assistants". I'm almost done with the proposal hope I didn't leave anything out. :)

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
This might be a stupid question: Is there an aerial photo of this mess ?

Sleeper CP :D
If you read the article it says it doesn't show up on arieal photos or sat. Maybe its floating under water a bit. I like you have a hard time believing that a texas sized waste dump has never been seen before.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Anyone know the lat/lon of it? I tried to Google Earth it but couldn't find it. If it's the sixe of Texas you should be able to see it.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I tried to Google Earth it but couldn't find it. If it's the sixe of Texas you should be able to see it.
If 4 million illegals can find a place to live the size of Texas you think this would show up on a satellite photo . Shit a 22' boat heading up the gorge shows up just fine. :)sphss:)sphss:)sphss

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Smoke and Mirrors

I've been here long enough to know just how smart most of us are, but...
We know what they are doing, how they are doing it and who pays for it. How 'bout we come up with a plan to garner some of these 'Grants'. We've got engineers, lawyers, police officers, tinkerers, stategists and businessmen and women.
Maybe I should start a new thread...

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
Sht, this isnt nothing new... There are barges that run out of san pedro that carry trash out into the ocean and dump it. Its a trasnfer station, and they transfer it somewhere into the ocean. We are at the dumps daily, because of the business we own, but when we have houses in that area I refuse to go to that transfer station. Drive a little further up the 710 to firestone.

·
Hangin' with Kobayashi
489 Posts
They know where it's at, instead of studying it, pick it up! But you know that they will say it has become its own little ecosystem, did you see all the clams attached to the plastic bottles? Just like a floating artificial reef.......

If they go and pick the trash they won't be able to get paid to go spend a month at sea in a fully staffed yacht "studying" the effects of trash in the sea. I don't need to study it - It's bad!

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Photo of a plastic bottle, 3 feet of line and some netting sitting on a tarp.

OH THE HORROR!!!!!

Can't trust those lib eco freak nitwits.:)sphss:)devil:)hand

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Greenpeace and their "pirates" spend millions of $$$$$$$ chasing legal whaling vessels, and sending people to protest everything from America's Cup races to Military testing at sea.

While I think it's disgusting and criminal for people to dispose of non-biodegradable items at sea, the fact is that it's there. Now what can be done about it?

Greenpeace, Earth First, Earth Liberation Front, and the rest of the eco-whackjobs could have that stuff cleaned up in a few months if they'd channel their energy and funding into doing something constructive for a change.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are grants available with money to do all kinds of things, all you have to do is put your money where your mouth is and start applying...

20 years ago I rode around on a boat on the colorado river for a few years on grant funding! Now it was only a new pontoon boat that was purchased under the grant, but when you are on the clock who's in a hurry anyways!!!!!!!

section 314 of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act provides funding for:

Lake Water Quality Assessment (LWQA) projects; Phase 1 Diagnostic/Feasibility Studies; Phase 2 Restoration/Implementation Projects; and Phase 3 Post-Restoration Monitoring Studies. In addition, the guidance added new data elements for Clean Lakes activities to the Grants Reporting and Tracking System (GRTS) to enable EPA and the states to track progress in the use of section 319 to support Clean Lakes activities. Finally, the guidance says that these Clean Lakes activities should be funded in lakes that are publicly owned and that have public access, consistent with the Clean Lakes regulations at 40 CFR 35 Subpart H.

Stick with this type of stuff "Phase 3 Post-Restoration Monitoring Studies"... if you want to keep it simple

I would almost Guarentee that all the Law Enforcement Agency's working the Col. River are tapped into the Grant Funding system!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I saw this a while back on the Discovery Channel...the pile is huge. All I was thinking was "wow, if you can round that up and take it into the recyling centers around you probably could end up with some pretty good amount of money".

On the show these guys were just following it aroung studying it. Get a federal grant to purchase a big empty cargo ship with a crane and basket and scoop all that junk up and go recycle it. You get paid from the government to do it and then you get paid again at the recylcing center..

Win, win to me!!!

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
I would almost Guarentee that all the Law Enforcement Agency's working the Col. River are tapped into the Grant Funding system!
Most are, but with STATE Grant funds. In AZ we're funded through Grants derived from AZ Boat registration fees. Patrol Boats and other facilities are bought through Grants from State Marine Fuel Taxes.

There aren't any specific grants for Marine Law Enforcement through the Feds.

Believe me. I've checked.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Most are, but with STATE Grant funds. In AZ we're funded through Grants derived from AZ Boat registration fees. Patrol Boats and other facilities are bought through Grants from State Marine Fuel Taxes.

There aren't any specific grants for Marine Law Enforcement through the Feds.

Believe me. I've checked.

I would guess that technically AZ Game and Fish perform in some law enforcement capacity.... So you would have to trade in your gun for a fish shocking rig... and no more BUI busts, just ticketing people without fishing licenses (but most of them would be drunk so you wouldn't miss that part)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts