Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these floors in some of the boats, super nice. I was wondering if the wood floor is real, or some type of overlay in the resin.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've seen these floors in some of the boats, super nice. I was wondering if the wood floor is real, or some type of overlay in the resin.

That is balsa bottom with 300 Hours of sanding, buffing, polishing and waxing.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Jerry's floor also has a slight bit of pigment added to the clear coat.

The Revenge I just sold had a wood veneer overlay. The resin in the balsa had "greened" a bit, so I opted to do an overlay.

Some are now doing carbon fiber :)devil:)devil

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carbon fiber would be nice also, just wanted clean the engine area this winter. Gettin my ducks in a row.....:D

·
Distinguished Member
5,788 Posts
Morg, damn your revenge was nice. Wish I had a chance to see it (or give it the rental car treatment :)), before you sold it. ;)
I noticed you were using a shaft coupler for the driveshaft input... Is this common on circle boats? Every boat I've seen with a solid drive shaft has a splined shaft on both end of the input. Seems a solid coupler would make engine removal a bit of a PITA not to mention alignment even more critical than normal...

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Morg, damn your revenge was nice. Wish I had a chance to see it (or give it the rental car treatment :)), before you sold it. ;)
NOw that's some funny shiznit right there.........:D:)devil

·
Registered
731 Posts
Balsa core

Balsa core comes in 1/4" to 2" thickness in 2' X 4' pieces. They have a filberglas scrim on one side to hold the sheets together. The sheets are scored to allow them to bend. I started using Balsa Core in 1968 at Aqua Craft.
For restorations it can be overlayed a sound bottom, then filberglased over. I used it on a Lavey Craft. The glass was loose on the topside. I removed the loose glass, then bonded the Balsa core, wilth more glass over.
I just recieved a 18' Hondo, with the same problem. It will get the same fix.
HARLAN ORRIN

·
Brea/Big River
118 Posts
Balsa core comes in 1/4" to 2" thickness in 2' X 4' pieces. They have a filberglas scrim on one side to hold the sheets together. The sheets are scored to allow them to bend. I started using Balsa Core in 1968 at Aqua Craft.
For restorations it can be overlayed a sound bottom, then filberglased over. I used it on a Lavey Craft. The glass was loose on the topside. I removed the loose glass, then bonded the Balsa core, wilth more glass over.
I just recieved a 18' Hondo, with the same problem. It will get the same fix.
HARLAN ORRIN
what thickness do you usually use?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What are you doing in here Bash, your new boat has gorgeous new floors, leave it the F*@k alone. You got alot of other places to be spending your money, I hope my floors come out half as good as yours. F1~

·
Brea/Big River
118 Posts
What are you doing in here Bash, your new boat has gorgeous new floors, leave it the F*@k alone. You got alot of other places to be spending your money, I hope my floors come out half as good as yours. F1~
The more I read, the more I realize how deep the money hole is :D I was just curious...I've been a fan of balsa floors forever.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When y'all say fiberglass over do you mean just resin and is there a clear calk or seamsealer for the edges and seems that is safe to use with fiberglass

1 - 14 of 14 Posts