Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to paint the floors of my Campbell, but before I do I want to put a coat of resin over the old glasswork to fill and smooth the surface. I have easy access to poly resin, but the hardener has wax added. Do I need to sand the surface of the old glass to prepare for the resin? Should I start with a thinned coat to penetrate and then follow up with a thick coat applied before the 1st fully cures? Or just go straight to the unthinned resin. I assume that unless I can find some laminating hardener I have to sand any cured new resin before applying anymore. Is it the same with the 25 year old original glasswork too?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I would like to paint the floors of my Campbell, but before I do I want to put a coat of resin over the old glasswork to fill and smooth the surface. I have easy access to poly resin, but the hardener has wax added. Do I need to sand the surface of the old glass to prepare for the resin? Should I start with a thinned coat to penetrate and then follow up with a thick coat applied before the 1st fully cures? Or just go straight to the unthinned resin. I assume that unless I can find some laminating hardener I have to sand any cured new resin before applying anymore. Is it the same with the 25 year old original glasswork too?
You will need to sand all the floor/stringers that's to be coated.. you can then use a tight nap roller and apply a coat of resin thinned as directed with "Styrene Monomer" & you can use your waxed hardener to do this.. One librial coat will bring the floors back to there original condition...Roll it on and leave it...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You will need to sand all the floor/stringers that's to be coated.. you can then use a tight nap roller and apply a coat of resin thinned as directed with "Styrene Monomer" & you can use your waxed hardener to do this.. One librial coat will bring the floors back to there original condition...Roll it on and leave it...
How about spraying it with an automotive clear like ditzler with a flex agent, and shooting about 3 thick coats ????

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much do I need to sand? 400 grit, 320? I don't want to remove any material, just get the resin to stick and to fill any weave or low spots. It will still get painted later so I don't need a perfect clear coat. Do I just break the surface to give some "tooth"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.