Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was interested in hauling the 5th wheel to the track next weekend. I've never been there. It would only be to watch. I was wondering where i could get info on their max lenght/height limit, if i can camp near the pits, etc. I don't have a race boat, it will only be to spectate.

I have a 40' weekend warrior, will i be able to get it in there?

Thanks for any info and hope to see you guys runnin out there! be safe.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
i was interested in hauling the 5th wheel to the track next weekend. I've never been there. It would only be to watch. I was wondering where i could get info on their max lenght/height limit, if i can camp near the pits, etc. I don't have a race boat, it will only be to spectate.

I have a 40' weekend warrior, will i be able to get it in there?

Thanks for any info and hope to see you guys runnin out there! be safe.
yes, you will, but you will not be able to/should not park it on pit row.

the best place for spectator RV's is down toward the end of the lake across from all of the jets that park on the grassy area (Jet Boat Land ... ask anyone who is there and they'll point it out, easy to find). Pits are right on the grass, but there is a HUGE dirt lot there by the bathrooms with plenty of room for a 40' trailer. There is usually space on the island as well (you will understand where that is when you see the lake as well)

FYI, if you try to park in a "pit area", you might have a lot of pissed off racers ... I recommend parking either across from Jet Boat Land or on the island.

Brian

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
definitely won't park in the pits then. Unless someone want's a workstation JK . Thanks for the info. do you usually need reservations or can you just roll up?

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Your pretty much in pits no matter where you end up campng, there is just that one area that is more for pits/racers than camping. I would recommend the island for a good camping spot or jetboat land as Busby said. The grassy area in jetboat land is the nicest area and the best choice if you have kids or a dog but its hard to see the races from there. You can see it all from there its just kinda far away. From jetboat land its a 10 minute walk or 3 minute bike ride or 1 minute rhino or golfcart ride and your right in the middle of all the action. You can see the races pretty good from the island but its all dirt which bothers some people.

Any more questions feel free to ask otherwise we'll see ya there, racing should be real good.

CS

·
Damage Inc
433 Posts
Bring your helmet if you are riding a pit bike.

Please give us space when parking across from Jetboat land.
We need room to back the boats into the pits.
Some of our drivers can be picky about how we park...:)grn

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
tahiti, looks like you and me will be in the same boat.......... Bringing the kids and the trailer out to spectate for the weekend. This should be a great race!!! My understanding is that the gate is manned pretty late on Friday night. Anybody know if there's a cutoff on when you can get in? We're leaving after work Friday about 5.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I'm not sure there is a cut off time. They might be locking the gate down at the end of the lake by Jet Boat Land, but the main gate is usually open.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, i promise not too many more questions. HOw are they with pit bikes / golf carts ....

and finally, what's the phone number there i'm having trouble finding it. I'm trying to do this , should be a party!

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
Alright, i promise not too many more questions. HOw are they with pit bikes / golf carts ....

and finally, what's the phone number there i'm having trouble finding it. I'm trying to do this , should be a party!
you have to be 16 to operate either, Rangers require a helmet wherever Calif law requires it (on pit bikes/motorcycles, children under 18, etc), no riding/driving on grass areas

NJBA is pretty relaxed about the rules as long as the operators are polite, you start driving like an ass ... and you'll be asked to park it

There is no number for Lake Ming, it's part of Kern County Parks & Rec

Roger Roadstrom's number w/ NJBA is listed under contacts on their website: www.njbaracing.net

Click here for a map of Lake Ming

·
Social
1,250 Posts

Just do not ride out of the fenced area. The Rangers will get you for sure. The patrol the area way more then needed I think. One year they wanted to ticket Swanson's team for being in the back of the truck after picking up the boat from the end ramp. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Emergencies After 5:00 pm: (661) 861-3110

Parks Administration Office: Kern County Parks and Recreation
1110 Golden State Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Get Map
(661) 868-7000
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

E-mail: [email protected]

Kern River County Park Contacts:
(applies to Hart Park, Camp Okihi,
Lake Ming,
and Group Picnic Reservation areas) Hart Park Field Office - (661) 872-3179

·
000-OnRe!
242 Posts
Fee$ @ Ming

I know it's been on here before, but one more time for for us first timers
to Ming, I will staying in back of truck but would like to stay in pits,jet boat area etc. Will be bringing a rhino to cruise around in, do they charge a flat rate per vehicle and the people in it? or do they charge per person plus camping? If you stay in the campground is ther another charge to watch the races? Last NJBA race I attended was at bluewater back in th80s, it seemed it was all inclusive back then. Do they accept atm cards at the gate or do you need to have cash for the fees? Just want to be prepared.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I know it's been on here before, but one more time for for us first timers
to Ming, I will staying in back of truck but would like to stay in pits,jet boat area etc. Will be bringing a rhino to cruise around in, do they charge a flat rate per vehicle and the people in it? or do they charge per person plus camping? If you stay in the campground is ther another charge to watch the races? Last NJBA race I attended was at bluewater back in th80s, it seemed it was all inclusive back then. Do they accept atm cards at the gate or do you need to have cash for the fees? Just want to be prepared.
NJBA Fees/stuff:
Camping = $80 (Fri-Sun, includes a spot in the park and KCPR camping fees)
Car/Truck pass = $50 (if you want to go in & out of the gate)
Saturday (per person) = $10
Sunday (per person) = $15
Kids 12 & under free
No fee for Rhino/golf cart/pit bike, driver has to be above 16yo
For bikes, kids under 18 have to wear a helmet per the Rangers (CA law)

Your situation is interesting ... do you have a camper on the truck? or are you sleeping in your bed out in the open?

I think that covers it all? Any other questions, feel free to ask ... if I don't have the answer, I'm sure someone else here will.

·
000-OnRe!
242 Posts
NJBA Fees/stuff:
Kids 12 & under free

Your situation is interesting ... do you have a camper on the truck? or are you sleeping in your bed out in the open?

I think that covers it all? Any other questions, feel free to ask ... if I don't have the answer, I'm sure someone else here will.

Have a camper shell on truck for me and my son, wife and daughter will be
staying in toyhouse with friend, was considering pulling our toyhouse over
ther but just pulled it home from needles last weekend and it needs a cleaning, if you pay the $80 and camp all weekend do you still pay the daily entrance fee? Thanks

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Got the trailer all tuned up and ready to go. Hope the good weather holds up! When I think what we're paying for firebird, this is a huge bargain!!!

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
Have a camper shell on truck for me and my son, wife and daughter will be
staying in toyhouse with friend, was considering pulling our toyhouse over
ther but just pulled it home from needles last weekend and it needs a cleaning, if you pay the $80 and camp all weekend do you still pay the daily entrance fee? Thanks
The fee to camp is the fee to camp. If you want to stay in the park and take up a pit spot, that's where the fee comes into play. ($50 for the RV & $30 for the camping to KCPR). It does not include your daily spectator fee. It covers the RV and KCPR fees.

There is a RV park at the top of the hill (that does not charge the $50 RV fee to take up a pit spot) and free parking across the street if you want. But if you want to camp out right there in the middle of it all, it will cost you more.

Another way to receive a better deal is to buy your armbands at racers registration for $20 for the weekend if you're there on Friday. They cost more at the gate, but it sounds like you are going with a friend who's racing ... so you can goto registration with them and get them for $5 cheaper.

Currently, NJBA has a board member going around and collecting fees in the pits at your RV. After last race, they might have the people at the gate collect the fees if the race has already started (for late arrivals). Don't quote me on that, I'm sure that they will have to have some sort of RV PASS or proof of payment that will need to be figured out if more than one is in charge of the fees ... contact Tom Bandy (NJBA board member who's currently in charge of the camping fees) at 714-620-5343 cell, he will make sure your taken care of and that we don't have any unanswered questions. He also goes by cp028 here on the forums.

I hope this makes sense,
Brian

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
NJBA Fees/stuff:
Kids 12 & under free

ya brian i want to know to i guess if i pass out in my truck without the tent on it i am ok.but tent on it ranger sees it i guess its camp fee?

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
ya brian i want to know to i guess if i pass out in my truck without the tent on it i am ok.but tent on it ranger sees it i guess its camp fee?
Funny man right there ... I'm not going to answer that, someone might hold me too it & quote me later.

I will say this, I have seen people pass out in the bed of their truck before ;) and no, the Ranger did not charge them the fee to camp (better than a DUI in my opinion), but if they pitched a tent in it before passing out ... I would think they were planning on camping.

The RV fee started because RV's were taking up pit spaces.

It was a while before KCPR came in and started charging the camping fees. But they got smart and started doing it. Strange to me because NJBA rents the lake, so you'd think we had already paid, but KCPR still charges.

It is what it is, right?

Much cheaper than driving back and forth to town and getting a hotel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts