Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you all controlling your bottle pressures out in the river with the extreme temperatures?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How hot are those heaters getting the bottles? I would assume for the heater to work it would have to get the bottle hotter than sitting out in the sun at the river, which would get it pretty hot too... I guess I would have thought that keeping the bottle cool at the river would be the tough part.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Beach towel put in the ice chest then place on the bottle. I have a friend that use to place his bottles in the sand in the water with a towel over them it seemed to keep them cool enough even on the hottest days.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was giving some thought of a cooling system, using river water and some sort of either water filled blanket or coils to keep the temperature down on the bottle. Of course it would only work if the engine is running, unless it was designed as a closed loop.... I would hate to grenade my engine because of a pressure spike due to temperature.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Just run your fuel pressure a little on the rich side , typically the plunger will stick before it will overdose the engine with nitrous.

Use the saftey systems.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
First of all do not trust those little bottle guages, they are a joke. I recently bought a 5" diameter 1% guage for bottle psi. Last weekend at the races almost all of my small bottle guages were off, some as much as 300 psi. I was running a rather large system so I made sure my bottle psi was right on for every pass. I would either throw the bottle in my cooler with the large guage connected or I would take the bottle down the the lake and leave it in the water for a minute or so to get the bottle psi down. When its cool out I warm the bottle in the truck for a while and I run a bottle heater in the boat, I heat the bottle to 1050 on the holding rope then purge down to 950-1000 so I have liquid waiting at the solenoids. Only drawack to the heaters are they are hard on the battery.

If your going to use one of those little bottle guages make sure you never peg the guage, what happens is the guage pegs then skips a tooth inside the guage and it will be a few hundred psi. off from that point on.

If your at the river and it gets way too high take the bottle out and put it in the water for a while, it will cool off. A purge is a nice thing to have also to drop the psi a small amount.

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
not to hi-jack your thread bro, but i have nowhere to mount a bottle in my boat except for back by the headers... im thinking that it'll build up too much heat back there and blow the pop-off on the bottle.. but im dying for the bottle haha! any suggestions? i guess i could always take out the back seat... hahah

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
what do you mean under the boat? i got a tunnel hull if that makes a difference

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
not to hi-jack your thread bro, but i have nowhere to mount a bottle in my boat except for back by the headers... im thinking that it'll build up too much heat back there and blow the pop-off on the bottle.. but im dying for the bottle haha! any suggestions? i guess i could always take out the back seat... hahah
just have the passenger hold the bottle, when you want to go faster have them point the bottle at the scoop and crack it open...this should work fine for you:)hand

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
just have the passenger hold the bottle, when you want to go faster have them point the bottle at the scoop and crack it open...this should work fine for you:)hand

only if you're the passenger tony!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
The two bottles in our boat are tucked up next to the drivers seat and passenger seat. The bottom of them butt up against the fuel tank. Someone on here took pictures of where their's was mounted and the bracket look just like mine.

You can build a mounting pad and mount a bracket to it under one of the side's of the boat.

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
never thought of that! thanks sleeper.. CARRY ON WITH ORIGINAL THREAD!

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I through bolted mine. Some/most guys get nervous about drilling holes in the bottom and I completely understand that.

Both my fuel tanks are through bolted too. Is there a better way? I'm sure there is, but this works too.

Both fuel tanks and the bottle mounts are nice n solid and none of it leaks.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
wet towell fresh offa the header will bring pressure up, wet towell outta the lake will bring it down. we do shiat all high tech rounds heay:D

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Even lower tech................what she is..........she is. No gauge of any kind so I have no idea what the pressure is. Ran it last weekend in 115 degree heat without cooling it down and it worked. Pressure was no doubt a little on the high side, but it still ran the same number mph-wise. In fact it ran .2 mph faster than two weeks before when it was only 100 degrees.

Been using the gas for the past 6 years and never knew what my pressure was. Doesn't seem to be a big deal for river/lake boating and cove racing in the summer. I'm sure it makes a big difference at the track when you're trying to be consistent though.

Winter time is another deal all together. I use a bottle heater, but it draws so much current I have to turn it on only when the motor's running, or it drains the battery quick like.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Bottle mounting:

This is the passenger side. I didn't want to drill through the bottom of the boat so I built and glassed in a mounting pad the drivers side is the same:

I been wanting to mount this in the middle of the boat and show up one weekend: :)sphss :p

Set the jet's at 150 HP and go from Martinez to Piacacho for a 14 mile run :)sphss :)devil :p

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts