Performance Boats Forum banner

Former race boat?

Tags
boat race
8K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  NITRO NUT 
#1 ·
I just picked up my TX19. This is me right now----> :D

Does anyone here have a pic of it from when it raced? Ever seen it/know anything about it?

I think it's a former ski race boat. It has large side gast tanks, guessing at least 15 gallons. The steering colum was mounted about 8" off the center of the keel line. I haven't weighed it (yet) but I was told it was 350 lbs. It does seem to flex similar to a friend of mines PB Gullwing which is also supposed to weigh 350 LBS.. On the transom it used to have the following written on it:
Mr.Dick Martin / San Diego Coin Exchange
Golden Getaway Corp. and the whole gang
Mr. Jim Youngblood / Dominator Jet Co.
Super Jet Engineering / Mariner Trailer Co.
Unique Metal Co. / Equality Plating
Schneider Racing Cams / S & S Headers

Any info you guys have on this boat or anything you see in the pictures is appreciated! :)devil

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just picked up my TX19. This is me right now----> :D

Does anyone here have a pic of it from when it raced? Ever seen it/know anything about it?

I think it's a former ski race boat. It has large side gast tanks, guessing at least 15 gallons. The steering colum was mounted about 8" off the center of the keel line. I haven't weighed it (yet) but I was told it was 350 lbs. It does seem to flex similar to a friend of mines PB Gullwing which is also supposed to weigh 350 LBS.. On the transom it used to have the following written on it:
Mr.Dick Martin / San Diego Coin Exchange
Golden Getaway Corp. and the whole gang
Mr. Jim Youngblood / Dominator Jet Co.
Super Jet Engineering / Mariner Trailer Co.
Unique Metal Co. / Equality Plating
Schneider Racing Cams / S & S Headers

Any info you guys have on this boat or anything you see in the pictures is appreciated! :)devil

looks like it had a lenco driveline on it. i dont think you'd want to run circles (ski race) with that type of driveline. looks like dragboat type stuff.

#11 ·
I agree about it being a drag boat...350# is pretty light...too light for something to be used as an endurance race boat (ski race) and ditto on the Lenco driveline. Somewhere in the rules it says a steering column needs to be a minimum distance from the center for certain classes where center steer isn't allowed.
Nice score.:)devil

#29 ·
As for the off set steering. The ADBA back in the 80's had the River Racer classes. That was when jets ran jets, flats ran flats and hydros ran hydros. The class required the steering wheel to be at least 8'' off center, 2 seats, a state registration, no trans and 460 cid limit. This class was to represent the hot lake boat. The class was also run heads up, no index, no break out. The record speeds if I remember right were hydros 132mph, the flats 115mph and the jets 107mph.

Tim

#19 ·
if the serial# starts with jbn then it is a true youngblood hull.other wise not.

yes jimmy youngblood laid up 350lb hulls for race only boats on request.not to many of them made.most were lake boats 450-500lbs hulls.

congrats on the gullwing:)handtravis

you can get alot of info on youngblood hulls on youngbloods website.

steven smith, jac and scott seastrum wrote alot of info on them as jac sea worked with and around jim youngblood when the very first gullwing was made and tested here on the arkansas river.:)

#30 ·
I wanted to get a different boat with more potential and with less work involved. So far the only thing I've accomplished is making more work than the boat I had needed. :)sphss Oh well, this one is my keeper.

I haven't had a chance yet to go check out this boat's former sponsor's.

#31 ·
This boat was formerly named "Wet Corvette" which was written in huge letters across the deck. Before that it had the words "Designed & Built by Jim Youngblood" on the left side of the deck and it also had "Owner & Driver ____ (illegible)" on the right side of the deck.

Any racers out there remember seeing this boat, know it's previous owner's, or have a picture of it from when it was raced? Thanks

#37 ·
IT IS ONE OF THE RACE HULLS. MY BROTHER AND I BOUGHT IT FROM DON WILLIAMS AT SO-CAL PERFORMANCE UNLIMITED. MY BROTHER WORKED FOR DON AND PUT TOGETHER THE BOATS. HE AND DON WOULD GO TO CABOT ARKANASA TO JIM YOUNGBLOODS SHOP. MY DAD HAD THE FIRST YOUNGBLOOD TX19 ON THE WEST COAST. HIS WAS SPECIALLY MADE AND SET UP FOR A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY CALLED MIGHTY MOUSE. IT WAS ON THE BROCHURES FOR SO-CAL PERFORMANCE UNLIMITED. MY BROTHER AND I NAMED THE BOAT THE WET CORVETTE, BUT WHEN WE BOUGHT IT FROM DON IT WAS CALLED MR MAGOO. THOSE WERE SPONSORS THAT DON HAD WHEN HE WAS RACING ON BACK. AND THAT BOAT WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THE PIN STRIPPING UP FRONT. WHEN DON AND MY BROTHER WERE DRIVING BACK FROM JIMS PLACE THAT BOAT GOT AIRBORN AND THERE WAS SOME DAMAGE UP FRONT. IT WAS TAKEN BACK TO JIM AND REPAIRED.331 WAS DON'S RACING NUMBER. THE MOTOR WE PUT IN WAS A CORVETTE 454 WITH A 6-71 BLOWER. IT RAN LIKE A STRIPPED ASS APE. MY BROTHER SOLD IT OUT FROM UNDER ME, HE NEEDED THE MONEY. SHIT HAPPENS. YOUR GAIN MY LOSE. I SURE DO MISS THAT BOAT. I SAW IT WHEN YOU FIRST BOUGHT IT AND WAS WANTING INFO, BUT FOR SOME REASON I WAS KICKED OF THE SIGHT.THE REASON THE SEATS WERE IN THE MIDDLE WAS FOR DRAG BOATING AND I
WHEN WE WOULD GO TO LAKE MARTINEZ WE WOULD PUT THE BENCH IN. YOU DID A GOOD JOB ON THE BOAT. TAKE CARE AND HAVE FUN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.