Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
This boat has been for sale for a few months...at $150K.

Single Ilmor 710, Imco Drive..no standoff.

I think your boat is going to be much better :)

Roln 20s

·
Boat Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This boat has been for sale for a few months...at $150K.

Single Ilmor 710, Imco Drive..no standoff.

I think your boat is going to be much better :)

Roln 20s

Oh I agree :D I was just pointing it out that looks to be a decent deal for someone. I was very happy with my Ultra but one major reason for the switch was the need/desire for twin engines for my application. Since this is a single, it wouldn't meet my needs for the areas I wanted to boat in but someone that a single engine application works, not to shabby.

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
Oh I agree :D I was just pointing it out that looks to be a decent deal for someone. I was very happy with my Ultra but one major reason for the switch was the need/desire for twin engines for my application. Since this is a single, it wouldn't meet my needs for the areas I wanted to boat in but someone that a single engine application works, not to shabby.
Agreed...its a nice boat.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
What motors are you running?

I'm surprised this boat only runs 90mph with the 710 and lighter layup. Hope that's not a winter top speed.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Saw the boat on the front cover of Boat Trader last week when Garcia & I were down in SoCal visiting a few manufactures and dropping his boat off at Cobra.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't think 150K for a 30' single Illmor deck boat is a good deal....even if it is from the Black Sox holyland..

Particuly when you can find a 2008 27 Daytona open bow for 80k...its a 496 but a 710 single in a deck is going to be a dog anyway....

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I don't think 150K for a 30' single Illmor deck boat is a good deal....even if it is from the Black Sox holyland..

Particuly when you can find a 2008 27 Daytona open bow for 80k...its a 496 but a 710 single in a deck is going to be a dog anyway....

it quotes on boattrader.com that the boat reaches 90mph.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
It's gotta be true if its printed on the internet....:)

Your right the highly creditable internet... I have a similar setup with a 700sci and have seen well over 90. Im sure it has to be a cool day for the ilmor to get up there with this big of a boat but im sure its capable....

·
Registered
953 Posts
Your right the highly creditable internet... I have a similar setup with a 700sci and have seen well over 90. Im sure it has to be a cool day for the ilmor to get up there with this big of a boat but im sure its capable....
I am sure the 710 is capable but it gotta be running light, propped big and a lot of room to get there.....I had a open bow mach 26 with a whipped 502 and 90 was easy going downhill......and it would take from Foxes to well past Roadrunner to get there...I think the 700sci is good engine and probably more conservately rated...just a big boat for a single engine...unless it was like a one of the couple 29's that were built that had 1200hp and number 6's to push them...

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I am sure the 710 is capable but it gotta be running light, propped big and a lot of room to get there.....I had a open bow mach 26 with a whipped 502 and 90 was easy going downhill......and it would take from Foxes to well past Roadrunner to get there...I think the 700sci is good engine and probably more conservately rated...just a big boat for a single engine...unless it was like a one of the couple 29's that were built that had 1200hp and number 6's to push them...
700sci was dynoed in at 669 crank HP, I know I expected more too. The lighter layups are really allowing the bigger cats to grab some taller #'s, and hopefully taking some stress off the drives. Time will tell.

·
Boat Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sheeeet what do I know :p i'm from the east coast. :)

I guess it depends on what your looking for. 100mph + then i agree your right. This boat won't cut it.

For a large stable lake boat that will cruise 75 and still have a bit more for when you want, then maybe yes.

Now while I'd love a 120mph boat, Practical and cost factors (i.e. insurance) had me decide to get something that would hopefully get me into the mid 90's but stay under 100.

If I got the boat and it went over 100, my insurance quote went up significantly and frankly I don't think a couple mph is worth almost 100% rate increase as i already pay enough with 2 other boats. Now I could play the numbers game with engines/hp/topspeed to the insurance guys but I personally don't want to risk my assests or insurance coverage to not belly up and get the correct coverage that truely protects me and/or my occupants.

If the deck had twin 700's i'd assume true insurance would be 5-6 grand a year. That's nutz..if you ask me

·
Registered
953 Posts
Now while I'd love a 120mph boat, Practical and cost factors (i.e. insurance) had me decide to get something that would hopefully get me into the mid 90's but stay under 100.

If I got the boat and it went over 100, my insurance quote went up significantly and frankly I don't think a couple mph is worth almost 100% rate increase as i already pay enough with 2 other boats. Now I could play the numbers game with engines/hp/topspeed to the insurance guys but I personally don't want to risk my assests or insurance coverage to not belly up and get the correct coverage that truely protects me and/or my occupants.

If the deck had twin 700's i'd assume true insurance would be 5-6 grand a year. That's nutz..if you ask me

Its been a couple years since I priced insurance on Cats, but I always remember 500HP being that sort of limit where you would start paying 1500 or better for Insurance so I would have thought a 700hp motor was going to put you in the 1500-2500 range. Now I don't know how that works with DECK boats...not sure if insurance companies ever caught on to the fact decks were cats with innerliner open bows...

I had a twin engine ob cat that was insured for 150k purchase price and it was 2500 a year and it was a 105 mph boat...

I am not sure what a twin 700sci boat would insure for these days...

But...back to your comment about being able to ride 75 in a stable boat ...then I stand by my comment this boat is overpriced to do just that.....there are a lot of other newer used cat options you could cheaply insure that will cruise 75......you don't see many 29/30's with single engines and the ones you do are for sale...there is a reason for that....

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Its been a couple years since I priced insurance on Cats, but I always remember 500HP being that sort of limit where you would start paying 1500 or better for Insurance so I would have thought a 700hp motor was going to put you in the 1500-2500 range. Now I don't know how that works with DECK boats...not sure if insurance companies ever caught on to the fact decks were cats with innerliner open bows...

I had a twin engine ob cat that was insured for 150k purchase price and it was 2500 a year and it was a 105 mph boat...

I am not sure what a twin 700sci boat would insure for these days...

But...back to your comment about being able to ride 75 in a stable boat ...then I stand by my comment this boat is overpriced to do just that.....there are a lot of other newer used cat options you could cheaply insure that will cruise 75......you don't see many 29/30's with single engines and the ones you do are for sale...there is a reason for that....
My 29 is always for sale ;)..... There is quite a few 29's in the waters these days with singles. Havasu/Parker does not carry many of them but other water playgrounds they are more common. Obviously a twin configuration is most popular but all depending on what you are after. I personally did not want the dollar amount of twin engines, gas, maintenance, rigging, etc. I also did not want two props hanging off the back, and I can especially see this in a deck.

I priced my boat to do a single 850sci and #6 but power to weight ratio the difference was not that much until it came to price. Plus the 700sci for low cost can have the hp increased to what would be close to the 850sci. Maintenance on 850hp+ motors gets intense and 180 day warranty compared to 1 year, there is no comparison. I would love to go a single 1000hp+ monster but practicality becomes a main concern at this point, now in my opinion it would be wise to go twin. All in all for someone who wants to get into the 110mph+ range in a 29+ boat go twin just be ready to pay. Someone like me who wants to cruise 85-90mph and be under 5000rpms and only deal with one engine, I feel my setup is great IMO.

Also like you stated earlier, "there is a reason for that" same goes to the price of that 34 you like. :)bulb

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I would have to say between a deck (30') and my (29' open bow) maybe 250-300lbs. guessing. I do know that vacuum bagging and the kevlar and penski composite crap definetely takes some weight out of the boat, possibly 500+lbs. Please dont quote me on these numbers they are educated guess'. i remember when I was told that vacuum bagging a 29' could save 1000lbs. :)sphss not buying it.... Anyways, thanks for the props on my boat, like I said its not for everyone but for me, I freakin love it...

So you gonna make me an offer???? :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts