Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working the other day, one of my guys found a 9mm LR. As some of you know I own a co in which we manage forclosed properties for the banks. The eviction was over 30 day, so the property left behind can be legally discarded or transfered.

My question is what steps need to be taken to ensure 1) that the gun isnt stolen, and 2) there arent any bodies on the gun. The house was in the southcentral area, so there is a decent amount of reasoning behind thinking the gun could have been used in a crime.

Dont want him to try to register it and then have legal problems because its got a body count.

He lives in Rancho, and it was found in LA. Does he need to take it somewhere in LA, or can it be out here in SB County and still have the cross references done between counties?

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
two choices.. keep in and hope to never get popped with a gun that was used in a crime..OR.. put it back where he found it and call the cops can come grab it and check it, so that if it WAS used in a crime, someone can have closure on it. The things are chap to buy anyways.

·
Canatard
3,341 Posts
Stuff the gun in your glove box and make a point of frequently driving erratically while drunk.

If that doesn't net you a murder rap, you know the gun is clean and you're clear to use it for knocking off liquor stores in your new found life of crime.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Put a few more bodies on it and make some side cash then dump it off in another foreclosure.

Murder for hire is big money these days.

·
In INTERNET REHAB
1,113 Posts
Turn it in. You might just be giving someone closure. If I remember correctly, it was a father and son that found a gun used by one of the Manson members and turned it in..... turned out to be useful to the LA detectives later on. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, could have been another case but you get the idea.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would advise you to immediately contact the L.A.P.D. and turn over the gun. They will most likely conduct some ballistics on the weapon and hopefully tie the gun to an unsolved crime. There is no reason to keep a weapon like this with possible history. Especially with your prints on it. If you need telephone numbers ... PM me.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

I would advise you to immediately contact the L.A.P.D. and turn over the gun. They will most likely conduct some ballistics on the weapon and hopefully tie the gun to an unsolved crime. There is no reason to keep a weapon like this with possible history. Especially with your prints on it. If you need telephone numbers ... PM me.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
:)devil
turn it in!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Have your guy have the paperwork ready in regards to the seizure of porperty. Call which ever Law Enforcement Agency (South Central LA does not always mean LAPD) that handles calls in that area and explain the find. If you don't know who handles the area, PM me the address and I can more than likely tell you who to call, otherwise your going to be playing ping-pong with dispatchers all day long.

If it was a "crime gun" they will find out and you will never see the gun again. If it was simply a "found gun" not connected to any crime, there is a possibility you are the new owner depending on what is stipulated in the contracts as far as property left behind at the location. You will need to talk to the Detective or that handles Found Guns for which ever department you end up dealing with.

He could call SB county but they will more than likely tell you to contact the agency that handles the area of recovery. They could run the gun to see if it's involved in anything but i doubt they will.

As far as his prints on the gun. Don't get all stressed out over it. Just have the paperwork regarding the house to help explain why or how you or your partner would of come into contact with the gun in the first place and you should be good.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Have your guy have the paperwork ready in regards to the seizure of porperty. Call which ever Law Enforcement Agency (South Central LA does not always mean LAPD) that handles calls in that area and explain the find. If you don't know who handles the area, PM me the address and I can more than likely tell you who to call, otherwise your going to be playing ping-pong with dispatchers all day long.

If it was a "crime gun" they will find out and you will never see the gun again. If it was simply a "found gun" not connected to any crime, there is a possibility you are the new owner depending on what is stipulated in the contracts as far as property left behind at the location. You will need to talk to the Detective or that handles Found Guns for which ever department you end up dealing with.

He could call SB county but they will more than likely tell you to contact the agency that handles the area of recovery. They could run the gun to see if it's involved in anything but i doubt they will.

As far as his prints on the gun. Don't get all stressed out over it. Just have the paperwork regarding the house to help explain why or how you or your partner would of come into contact with the gun in the first place and you should be good.
Exactly. Have it cleared, prints on it are not an issue if there is a reasonable and valid reason for them to be there, and, if it is clear, enjoy the new toy.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Call and turn it in asap!!!!! If it is clean, and not registered you will get to keep it in about 120 days, assuming you meet state guidelines, etc

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Should have never touched it. Call da cops and let them deal with it.
:)devil
turn it in!
Call and turn it in asap!!!!! If it is clean, and not registered you will get to keep it in about 120 days, assuming you meet state guidelines, etc
It's not worth the trouble that you could get into. Personally, I'd put it back exactly where you found it and then call the police immediately!

Chances are that if it's found in South Central is will not have a registered owner! Just sayin'

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stuff the gun in your glove box and make a point of frequently driving erratically while drunk.

If that doesn't net you a murder rap, you know the gun is clean and you're clear to use it for knocking off liquor stores in your new found life of crime.

I personally like this reply the best!

My guy called the PD in Rancho and they said to not bring it to them, however to take it to Bass pro or Turners, and those people can run it to see about it being stolen or crime etc?.?. Then if it is clean, they will automatically do the FFL transfer.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts