Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you know I moved an hour and change south to Calgary and the boating season for exploring is basically here. A bit more melt in the mtns and the rivers will be flowing like mad so I went out last weekend and tried one of the main ones in the area.

Anyone wanna come along? :D I did the first rapid shown but not having another boat with me I didn't opt to run the other which was a triple shelf of sorts. Lots of whitewater in the distant gap in the rock face so should be a damn good run in a few weeks when the river comes up a bit.

And guys wonder why we run tin jetboats ;)

Stopped and had a look then ran thru this one

Definitely didnt want to mess up here lol :O

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eventually got to here. I did the first shelf easily but the 2nd was alot worse and only could be done at the far other extreme side of the river. THird didnt look bad but there was no sense taking the chance with no backup boat so to speak. Was just thrilled with the scenery out there. TOo bad you cannot go forever on that river, it hits a national park eventually :(

Looking upstream at the third shelf and a pretty "interesting" looking gap in the distance

2nd shelf, doable at the extreme left of the photo

Parked below shelf 2

My fav shot of the day, damn my new cell takes good pics :D

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
James set your phone down by that last shot and take some video of you catching air off that drop!!:)devil

Cant wait till I can get a 21 Eagle:D

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I have relatives in Calgary. Nice beer can water, but hows the fishing?? Looks like a good place to dip the fly line.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Calgary California right? That water looks a little cold.I must admit, it looks like it would be a lot of fun despite the cold.

Cy

·
Prune-Picker
140 Posts
Wow! That's awesome scenery. If I was closer I'd be calling to tag along. Got a few ?'s though. You go out there alone?? No backup? What's the drill if you need help? I guess you'd just paddle to shore and wait. What sort of critters hang out in those woods? Grizzley's? Mountain Lions? Wolves? Aren't those all meat eaters? Do you carry a gun??? ......Oh wait....you guys let your government take away that right....
Seriously, do you ever see those beasts when you boat in the wilderness?

Cs

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
AWWWsom pictures

Welcome back. Thought you fell off the face of the, oh that;s right you're up there. Same thing!!!

Mark

·
Registered
375 Posts
Was that an open invite? What's the closest airport with commercial service? JK, that is some awesome boating, would love to do it someday.

·
northern member
602 Posts
Xero , nice pic's , looks like some fun boating . how close to the park are you where you stopped? any trouble with other river people , i remember the flyfishers were pretty :)st:mad::(:( a few years ago .

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
geeez guess I gotta start checking my threads more often, too many q's lol

Its Calgary Alberta Canada of course, edge of the rockies about 5 hours north of the Montana border, yes we have an international airport :p (pop ~1 million) We had the winter Olympics a while back if you recall.

The area I launched was about 45 mins from my house, so yea pretty nice country real close by. The lower end of this river runs right thru the city but there are several dams between here and there unfortunatly. Upper end runs into Banff national park which of course is off limits to power boats.

Where I stopped was below the next dam so still no where near the park. trying to find a way to shuffle boats oveer the dam so we can make a full day run from Morley right to the national park. Hoping for a trip later this month with some other boats. Yes I was out alone this day and thats why I didnt take too many big chances in rapids.

You "could" wait on shore for someone to come help but you'd be waiting a long time out there lol

Its a popular river for rafters and such but I'd assume just have a 2nd boat there, Im guessing other river users may not be exactly friendly to ya in some cases :D My cell phone did seem to work in the few places I checked it.

Animals, you bet, probably not gonna see many grizzles in this area but other bears wouldnt surprise me. Ive certainly camped in places that you have to be careful about your food etc I dont carry a gun nor would i likely ever bother as I dont see the risk would be "that" great. Altho, it is the one single time if it wasnt so hard to do so I could see having a handgun being useful.

I have only run this once but will obviously explore it more now that its in my backyard so to speak. I certainly plan on being respectful and courteous to other river users but also certainly am not about to let them chase me off the river. I expect them to respect my right to be there as well, it IS a commonlaw right in this country to navigate our waterways. I sure have heard alot of stories of bad encounters with rafting groups and fly fisherman etc and rest assured I will be considerably more annoyed being hassled by anyone who's actually making a profit/living off the river.

Ive had rocks thrown at me when I lived back in Ontario and I sure hope people who do that stupid stuff realize if one ever connects or even comes close to connecting, the authorities will be notified.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you walk along the rivers you drive on first or do you mash the gas and hope for the best?

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.
Runnings rivers is certainly somehting you "learn" to do. Some people start with your method but they soon get tired of getting stuck, pushing and repairing things LOL It can also be a pretty dangerous depending on how big the water you're in is.

Once you see that river formations arent 'random' and know what to look for it becomes far more enjoyable and you can focus on the sections which are truely a challenge. Its also really enjoyable taking out new people as they are often quite amazed at what you can boat thru, while you're not even thinking about it! Running for extended periods in 4-6" of watr usually is a real treat for people new to this type of boating.

Yes I get out and look at things which Im unsure of like that first section of whitewater. Quite obviously I would have had to for the 2nd which basically had 3 seperate sections quite close together. Things happen very fast when doing this type of boating as you cannot always stop mid river to have a look at whats ahead due to depth and/or currents. This is another reason why its always best to run upstream first whenever possible.
Its also why lake boating bores the s*$% out of me now

:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Its also why lake boating bores the s*$% out of me now

:D
I could see that happening very easily..

However that part about people tossing rocks at you? thats some BULLSHIT... I carry a gun and would not respond well to people lobbing rocks at me.:|err

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to this guy last year, this must be further upstream, obviously when there is more water :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts