Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at it yesterday(didn't get any pics). Guy wants around $1000 with no motor(BBF I pull it). It needs a floor for sure, and maybe stringers(full stringer boat) and a lot of other little things. Just wondering if this is anything worth messing with. I know nothing about an Aggressor pump but it looks VERY nice. It has hydraulic trim, droop and is supposed to have a lot of work done to it. Just a thought. Let me know what you guys think... Just trying to get something going for this summer!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
A couple grand put towards the purchase price can get you a boat that needs less work. I went down that road.
I bought my old Schiada for 2k turn key. That season I floated back to camp 3 times, replaced the alternator, starter, battery, carb, and flywheel. All replaced at the river in 100+ temps. That winter I did a full restore. Only floated home once. The next winter I added a new motor and rigging. Didn't float home all summer and even ventured down river. After it was all said and done, rebuilt the whole entire boat, I still had a $2000 boat. Moral here, get something well known with a good reputation. It'll help when you sell it later.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:iagree: I'm really just looking to throw a motor in something and be good to go for the Summer. Just wondering if this hull/pump were worth the effort/money. My buddy has a nice Southwind that ONLY needs a motor for $2500. I will probably do that.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Better name that's geared more towards performance and less towards a skiing/cruiser. What's the details on the SW?

·
Registered
215 Posts
If the boat needs stringers I wouldnt touch it. Way to much work. Now if it had a lot of sentimental value (family memories) then maybe. May be a good parts boat and a trailer for a grand but the boat is done.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doubt it went 120+ but worth a look at. Look it over good and if you aren't familiar take someone that is. The thing that concerns me at first is he thinks it goes over 120. Anyway worth a look if its close.
I know this guy. It did have a nasty 514 BBF in it that he just took out. Probably not 120 but I don't care. Just looking for a nice cruiser that I can get going soon...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know this guy. It did have a nasty 514 BBF in it that he just took out. Probably not 120 but I don't care. Just looking for a nice cruiser that I can get going soon...
Well if you know him then thats 1 hurdle your over. Then you should be familiar with the boat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at your sig I am left wondering why you want another boat. Looks like you already have the spectrum pretty well covered minus a pontoon or offshore type hull.
Haha, don't let the sig fool you. They all need a lot of work to be nice boats. I really want the V-drive going but it's just not going to happen in the next few months. The Taylor has been the main one that I take out but it still needs interior/paint. It's really been the best first boat anyone could ever ask for and I still love it but I feel like it's time for me to upgrade. I guess I am still a boat newbie but I am hooked! I spend a lot of time on the lake now and want something a little nicer.:happy:

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Haha, don't let the sig fool you. They all need a lot of work to be nice boats. I really want the V-drive going but it's just not going to happen in the next few months. The Taylor has been the main one that I take out but it still needs interior/paint. It's really been the best first boat anyone could ever ask for and I still love it but I feel like it's time for me to upgrade. I guess I am still a boat newbie but I am hooked! I spend a lot of time on the lake now and want something a little nicer.:happy:
Makes sense now. Check my sig. I completely understand. LOL.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my buddy to go and haggle with the Hawaiian jet today. He got him down to $1600 with the motor(514 BBF?). Still did not buy it yet but I might put a floor and stringers in it for that price if I can hear it run. Can't get a hold of my boy with the Southwind...:duh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Better name that's geared more towards performance and less towards a skiing/cruiser.QUOTE]

Wich one the Hawaiian or Southwind? I like the look of both boats but love that the Southwind can be a nice ready to go boat in less that one day of work!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Southwinds are great boats. I've never owned one but have met several people that do. Great dual purpose boat (fun and fast). I lucked into a tunnel v hull or I would have bought something similar to the Southwind. I was looking at daycruisers when I found a craigslist ad for mine. I had searched as much as 400 miles away from me and found mine 1 mile away lol.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Better name that's geared more towards performance and less towards a skiing/cruiser.QUOTE]

Wich one the Hawaiian or Southwind? I like the look of both boats but love that the Southwind can be a nice ready to go boat in less that one day of work!
The southwind. You see a lot of them still running hard. Hawaiians not so much. Can't recall the last time I actually saw one. Can't say I've ever seen one that was a hot rod.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The southwind. You see a lot of them still running hard. Hawaiians not so much. Can't recall the last time I actually saw one. Can't say I've ever seen one that was a hot rod.
Well, if I can get him to pick up the phone i will get the Southwind. Gosh damnit!!!:bangmyhead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts