Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back. Where have you been? What's the latest with Trident?

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
TB: yes I know.
Ultra: Yes, Yes, No.

Froggy and I date back to the HB days. He and I had terse conversations in the early days of his company. I advised him against the dual jet drive concept and gave him a hard time about bringing his model boat to the SEMA show two years in a row.

I am sure that he disliked me greatly for a couple years and contemplated taking me out Ninja style.

However he came to appreciate me a little more after he got the boat built and got "New and Improved" Hot Boat to test it.

After that, Wes assisted PB greatly in launching our site and we have been friendly acquaintences since. Wes is intelligent and
well versed in the workings of our marine industry.

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Good to see you too Chris... frankly, I am back because you jumped in. I think it is good for the site, and good for the community.

Trident is busy digging an ever-increasing crater in my yard. The project isn't dead, it just needs a millionaire with an interest in losing money to really believe that he wants the nicest deckboat in the world to be revived...

I am kind of kidding, but not really. I don't think there is a market for the boat that I want. Nobody but me would pay for it. As a vanity project, I intend to revive Trident with a pile of money if only to end up with one myself, and then pass the project on with strong funding to someone who could build a boat more suitable to return a profit with. I'm not wired for it apparently.

And I brought the model only two years... then a boat. I would have brought a boat the first two years but I didn't have one because I was busy building it from scratch instead of splashing, but I still wanted a bunch of cool shit for my Corvette and truck, so had to show something... ;)

We do go back a long time. My fondest memory of you in fact was our second meeting. Our first didn't go so well, but our second meeting was spent with you apologizing to me for the first meeting, and for believing John West's bullshit about me splashing Ultra to start Trident... Ah... the good old days. :p

FWIW, I never disliked you. I just thought that Hot Boat was corrupt as hell, was disingenuous to the buyer and unless you bought editorial, you wouldn't catch a fair break... And you were the editor... so...

But, here it is ten years later. A lot of water has gone under the transom since then, and I think we both have a lot to be proud of, and probably more than one regret in all of it. I certainly regret ever seeing the dual jet (at a Hot Boat shootout I might add...) but don't regret building the boat. Money and time well spent IMO...

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Hey Wes! Great to hear that you're back. I've missed visiting with you sir.

Keith Sayre
Great to see your name too Keith! I can't speak with high enough praise regarding you, and you were truly a good friend in the industry...

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Welcome Noob!

How's the other stuff going?

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
So killer... gonna be a great decade for me. Thanks for asking. :D

How have you been?
Work work work work work work work. Someday I'll get down to your neck of the woods.

These days work monitors my internet. Was told that I was close to the top of the list with my usage on PB which has unfortunately made me stay away during work hours and home hours are for family.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Things have been better this year than the previous 3 for the boating community in general.

Stand corrected on SEMA. ;)

John West, yes well still a friend but understood.

"HB Corrupt as hell", WOW. I guess to the purest of hearts you could claim a few instances at HB during the 25 years that I was at the helm where something was massaged. There is a much more sinister perception of how the tests and things operated versus reality. Even yourself to this day.

90% of all covers were reserved for advertisers. Unethical? Not for me. As for edit: I made three editorial changes during my time at HB for the betterment of two advertisers. Aside from that; we tested what was brought.

The real problem re: boat tests, centers around the manufacturer and being true to the end product.

Meaning how many extra hours does he spend on the boat for the magazine tests versus the boat delivered to Joe Public. I know some spent a couple extra hours on spit polishing and some spent dozens of hours. But how do we figure that out??

If it was as bad as many insinuate, why waste the hundreds of industry professional man hours ie., Wilkes, Shoemaker, Spaise, Brown, and so on if only advertisers get good write ups and non advertisers were scapegoats? I could cite countless non advertisers that received great writeups and several BIG advertisers that got terrible writeups.

Ask Advantage and LaveyCraft how they felt about some of the reviews they received from HB during my time there. For that matter, Cole, Hallett and several more. All good advertisers.

That is really the beauty of the Performance Boats video boat tests because the reaction and evidence is caught on film.

As for 10 years later and a few regrets; absolutely. I wish I had shorted Bear Stearns stock and had
purchased options on Apple and Netflix stock.:)

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
Things have been better this year than the previous 3 for the boating community in general.

Stand corrected on SEMA. ;)

John West, yes well still a friend but understood.

"HB Corrupt as hell", WOW. I guess to the purest of hearts you could claim a few instances at HB during the 25 years that I was at the helm where something was massaged. There is a much more sinister perception of how the tests and things operated versus reality. Even yourself to this day.

90% of all covers were reserved for advertisers. Unethical? Not for me. As for edit: I made three editorial changes during my time at HB for the betterment of two advertisers. Aside from that; we tested what was brought.

The real problem re: boat tests, centers around the manufacturer and being true to the end product.

Meaning how many extra hours does he spend on the boat for the magazine tests versus the boat delivered to Joe Public. I know some spent a couple extra hours on spit polishing and some spent dozens of hours. But how do we figure that out??

If it was as bad as many insinuate, why waste the hundreds of industry professional man hours ie., Wilkes, Shoemaker, Spaise, Brown, and so on if only advertisers get good write ups and non advertisers were scapegoats? I could cite countless non advertisers that received great writeups and several BIG advertisers that got terrible writeups.

Ask Advantage and LaveyCraft how they felt about some of the reviews they received from HB during my time there. For that matter, Cole, Hallett and several more. All good advertisers.

That is really the beauty of the Performance Boats video boat tests because the reaction and evidence is caught on film.

As for 10 years later and a few regrets; absolutely. I wish I had shorted Bear Stearns stock and had
purchased options on Apple and Netflix stock.:)
Relax Francis... just getting a rise out of you... I was thinking back to Commander being able to pull their evaluation when the boat didn't work right and the like...

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Francis Sinatra or Connie?

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts