Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. Trying to remove the deck mouted fuel filler cap so I can slide the tank back to remove the old steering cable and wiring harness on a '78 Sunkisst. It has side mounted tanks. I have drilled the rivets holding the fuel filler cap but can't get it to pull up. There is no way to get your hand under the deck and on top of the tank so I don't think there is a hose and clamp.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
fuel fill

Need some help. Trying to remove the deck mouted fuel filler cap so I can slide the tank back to remove the old steering cable and wiring harness on a '78 Sunkisst. It has side mounted tanks. I have drilled the rivets holding the fuel filler cap but can't get it to pull up. There is no way to get your hand under the deck and on top of the tank so I don't think there is a hose and clamp.

Any suggestions as to what to do?
Does your interior cover the gunnel where the gas fill is located or is it exposed when the interior is instaled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The gunnel comes down to the top of the tank. You can evn get a finger between the tank and the gunnel. I can't pull the steerng cable front to back or back to front, I think it is wedged between the tank and gunnel. I have cut the wiring harness and tried to pull it out as well but realized the wire for the sending unit is attached to the top of the tank so another reason I need to take the tank out,

Got all the steering cable disconnected and the F/R shifter cable. Sure hope the new ones go in a lot easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not even from the end. Not sure what size tanks (look to be about ten gallons on each side) but the only way I can see getting to everything is by sliding the tank toward the back and tilt it out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well time to cut your losses and sell it.... someone put it in you just have to figure out how.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay...here is what I have decided to do. I am going to cut an access door in the vertical part of the gunnel. Figure that way I can get to the fuel filler line to the tank and the sending unit for the gas gauge (assuming it is close to the fuel fill). I will also be able to help guide the wiring and cables from front to back. By doing this on both sides I will always have access and hopefully not have to take the tank out.

Any suggestion on trim or what type access door to use would be helpful. Thought about using a mini circuler saw to cut the hole so I can set the depth and hopefully use the cut out piece for the door. Figure the best thing would be cut the opening on a slight angle to keep the panel from pushing inward. Any ideas on what type or where to get trim for the access door would help.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Post some pics of this thing before you start with a saw. Like James said, Someone put it in, there has to be a way to get it out. The fuel sender, fuel line connection and fuel fill may not be near each other at all. In fact on 2 of my boats they are not close to each other. The fill is at the front, the pickup is at the back and the sender is in the middle. Not sure on the 3rd as I have never looked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts