Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing a new Holley Blue fuel pump setup on my boat. Im questioning what pressure i should run?? Im running a chevy 454 bored .60 over small dome pistons about 10:1 compression stock heads Victor intake single holley 750. Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
686 Posts
You need a pressure guage and a fuel pressure regulator. Those pumps don't like to be stored for long periods with 10% ethenol fuel. It leaves some nasty stuff clogging the screen, eats up the impeller veins and just general damage. I've had mine for 7-8 years and it's time is about up. I couldn't really ask it for more considering the abuse I gave it. Had I taken care of it it would last many more years.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I get it with a $29 airtex mechanical (with the bypass plugged)from autozone. Some people have good luck with electric pumps and relays and switches and regulators and all that wiring, i don't.

·
Registered
359 Posts
how do u get 7psi throughout the whole rpm range ?
You should be good just running a 750 carb with a blue pump. Its an old topic, but it depends on how hard the pump has to work. Flow of filters, size of lines from tank to carb, etc., all have an effect. But you should be good. Fuel pump are rated at free flow. Its like the old saying, an Indy car will do 250MPH, but won't do it towing a trailer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should be good just running a 750 carb with a blue pump. Its an old topic, but it depends on how hard the pump has to work. Flow of filters, size of lines from tank to carb, etc., all have an effect. But you should be good. Fuel pump are rated at free flow. Its like the old saying, an Indy car will do 250MPH, but won't do it towing a trailer.
Im running -10 from the tanks to a 10 micron fuel filter water separator to -8 out to the fuel pump. Should be pretty free flowing. So now i guess my question is at idle what should i be set at pressure wise that will run good at WOT?

·
Banned
861 Posts
It could stay where you want it just floor it turn your head and look. No wait have a passenger watch the guage for you.:D

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
I'm running a blue with 2 750s and never had any fuel issues at WOT. you should be just fine ;)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
OH GOD, puff up you chest and tell us how big and bad your 470 ci gn monster is?
I mean really Bob...... really
Not impressed personally but I guess you have your fans:no:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
OH GOD, puff up you chest and tell us how big and bad your 470 ci gn monster is?
I mean really Bob...... really
Not impressed personally but I guess you have your fans:no:
Thats not really the point. The OP is talking a single 750 and being told he needs 8 psi? Really? Like I said, maybe I am doing it wrong and need to get a better fuel pump. u
What made me think it was safe to take you off "ignore" Live and learn.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
8 PSI????
Any of you guys ever bother to look at Holleys flow charts for various pumps? Ever notice what happens to flow as the pressure increases?

I guess I need to rethink my fuel system. 5-6 psi idle and 3-4psi WOT. Of course I'm not making as much power as most of you guys are. Its only a 470.
You need to start with the pressure that high to properly break the pump in?:)bulb:p

How come the don't give rpm when they state flow rating on a mechanical pump?

And"My mother always told me that if i didn't have anything nice to say i should STFU'!

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
If I put more than 6 psi to my QFs they get all kinds of stupid :p

·
Banned
861 Posts
Perhaps you could mount your gas tank above the motor and use a gravity feed setup to supply your engines with gas. Or use a cup and just pour it down the carb as you open the throttle blades. :)bulb

1 - 20 of 29 Posts