Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Greg ,what is my problem here ,at wot this happens but when I'm not into throttle that hard its fine,is it a fuel delivery problem maybe, it climbs right up to 4500 rpm and then starts to do this .........JUST ACTS LIKE IT STARVING FOR THE FUEL AT HIGH RMP

2007 LIBERATOR TUNNEL HULL DOMINATOR PUMP WITH DROOP AND A ,STOCK GRATE NO INDUCER OR LOADER
1978 FORD 466 430-HP
HOLLEY 750. BLUE PUMP. WITH REG.3/8 LINES

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
A pressure gauge at the carb would help eliminate some of the unknown.... Alot of those Holley pumps have failures but could be alot of things.... Start with the easy stuff to eliminate and work from there. Timing, etc, etc

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Fuel Pressure

Hi Greg ,what is my problem here ,at wot this happens but when I'm not into throttle that hard its fine,is it a fuel delivery problem maybe, it climbs right up to 4500 rpm and then starts to do this .........JUST ACTS LIKE IT STARVING FOR THE FUEL AT HIGH RMP

2007 LIBERATOR TUNNEL HULL DOMINATOR PUMP WITH DROOP AND A ,STOCK GRATE NO INDUCER OR LOADER
1978 FORD 466 430-HP
Do the tanks have anti syphon valves in them or are they free flowing fittings. How long do you run the boat a WOT?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
broken ballast was my pro blem go figure

changed ballast out to brand new and hell that was it
Hi Greg ,what s it problem here ,at wot this happens but when I'm not into throttle that hard its fine,is it a fuel delivery problem maybe, it climbs right up to 4500 rpm and then starts to do this .........JUST ACTS LIKE IT STARVING FOR THE FUEL AT HIGH RMP

1978 FORD 466 430-HP

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
By ballast you mean the resistor? While it might know how many rpm the motor is running i don't think it cares how far the throttle is open.. .......ie 'at wot this happens but when I'm not into throttle that hard its fine'...

But if it's fixed, run it! Glad i wasn't working on it, i would still be looking for some kind of fuel delivery issue...especially with a hollie blew pump.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was not the cure.......

Resistor was not the fix,did away with it with a new coil still no fix I have found that my my coil contact under my cap (Mallory unilite)was almost burned away(the carbon spring loaded contact that hits the rotor button)......so im replacing cap and button next but winter has begun so won't no untill spring ........I really don't think it's a fuel issue,that cap didnt look good,let's hope that's the calprate ......
By ballast you mean the resistor? While it might know how many rpm the motor is running i don't think it cares how far the throttle is open.. .......ie 'at wot this happens but when I'm not into throttle that hard its fine'...

But if it's fixed, run it! Glad i wasn't working on it, i would still be looking for some kind of fuel delivery issue...especially with a hollie blew pump.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Resistor was not the fix,did away with it with a new coil still no fix I have found that my my coil contact under my cap (Mallory unilite)was almost burned away(the carbon spring loaded contact that hits the rotor button)......so im replacing cap and button next but winter has begun so won't no untill spring ........I really don't think it's a fuel issue,that cap didnt look good,let's hope that's the calprate ......
I just have to ask...What does starving for fuel sound like to you? lol

Don't much care for mallory no-lites....Some people have good luck, I don't. If ignition passes visual inspection and i'm not sure, i will usually round up a known to be good spare ignition...If the carbon looks crappy that could very well be the issue, when the coil fires it has to go some where...small diameter cap might have that spark jumping to other cylinders. Just so ya know...if the trigger in the dizzy takes a dump spare parts might not be locally available and could cost $75+. I am kind of partial to stock hei ignitions. With a decent cap/rotor they are good for 7000 rpm and up to 6-8 lbs boost...cars ran them for 100,000+ miles and every auto parts store has parts. Last mallory i had made me paddle over a mile...pissed me off enough to grind on my tunnel ram and file on the cap to get hei to fit....One wire..needs to be 12 gauge minimum...no ballast/starter bypass wire to mess with..mallorys don't like voltage spikes at all . I heard even a bad diode in an alternator could kill them even if the alternator tests good.

Years ago my buddy and i towed his dune buggy out to the desert...i had it out 5 miles from nowhere and kicked up a rock, hit the dizzy cap and broke the contactor off the rotor...no spare parts...tools...needle nose pliers and a pair of vice grips and a cooler with a sixer of mickeys malt liquor in barrel bottles with rip off top. I drank a few while i was trying to figure out which way/how far camp was...bright idea...make a contactor out of the rip top and glued it into place with a piece of nylon wire tie and a bic lighter...made it back to camp and ran it most of the next day...True story!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel pump was the problem

Problem still persist until a new fuel pump solved the problem ......thanks for your feed back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts