Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is polyester resin ok to use in glass tanks or is there a better choice? Looking to build some components that will see fuel and pressure changes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The Ethanol in gasoline will disolve polyester based fiberglass. Lots of boats had fiberglass tanks and the switch to gasahol caused major issues through out the boating industry. The fiberglass tanks would eventually leak and the residue from the dissolved resin caused major issues in the fuel systems.

Doug

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so neither work?

ginger, in your build up it shows lots of good pics but i didnt read what type of product you were using the pieces im building are not going to be submersed in fuel just be exposed im building and intake top for my tunnel ram and was toying with the idea of using phenolic material but the price is way out of my budget and then i thought of cutting it out of a large chunk of 2in thick hdpe? plastic which is cheap compared to a chunk of billet or phenolic and then i was thinking of using glass i can make a better top because im free to manipulate glass a lot easier ive seen carbon intakes but again price is an issue

so in your tanks you used epoxy resin?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts