Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody run a perma-cool fuel/water separator filter?i'm going to try an 81000 series filter instead of the usaul fram pcs5062m filter. any thoughts? they both work on the little cast mount thats in the boat. both have 1"/14 threads and the gaskets are the same. i believe the fram is a 12 micron and the perma-cool is a 2 micron. both flow more than enough fuel,12-25 gal per minute. just a little paraniod about the unknown. any experiences shared about these products would be greatly apprecieted . thanks -Jas

·
Registered
417 Posts
i am using a perma cool water seperator with great results. never used one before last year and alway had water in fuel problem, havnt had a problem since i install it.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I just installed one on my boat. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm not expecting any problems out of it. At least I better not!:|err

:D

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
i am using a perma cool water seperator with great results. never used one before last year and alway had water in fuel problem, havnt had a problem since i install it.
When you had the problems where you buying your fuel at a fuel dock or from the pump in town ??

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
used the perma seperators before with good results, but i've switch to using wix seperators, the 1 i run now will flow 240gph and the filter/seperator element is as big as a lonnnng type oil filter. i've never had fuel flow issues, or water in the carb since using the wix. on occasion water would get by the permacool 1's i used to run. the wix filter and base together were about 70 bucks at the local orielly's , and the base has 1/2 pipe threads, so you can run 1/2 fuel line to and from it:)devil

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
The Permacool adapter has big in/out's also.

Remember, a water seperator does so do to specific gravity (water is heavier than gas) therefore all seperators can't really hold that much water. If the mount nipple is kept same length, a deeper (longer) filter will hold more water.

Again, they'll hold ounces of water but not keep a bunch of water from getting in to the carb/fi.

Replace them every season !

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys.the problem i have is with clearance. i can only run a filter thats under 6.75" long. i'll drain it often. -Jas

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
On these can you run; two in-one out kinda deal? basically putting it before the "T"

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Jason, I've ran one on our sled for years. Dual 1/2s in and out. I would think one would work great for that monster of yours but do change out the element every year.........john

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
Same here, had one for 3 trouble free years. Change it out every year, all good. It feeds my blower engine w/ dual Dom's all day long. Just make sure you get the one with 1/2" in n outs, even if you don't need it now, you may in the future :D

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Oh, and by the way....if you don't use the extra 1/2" in or outs, make sure the plugs are TIGHT. The pump has a really hard time picking up fuel if they're loose and allowing air in.........don't ask me how I know...:((((((

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
I Ran A Perma Cool Till The Drain In The Bottom Broke And I had To Put A Bolt Through It On The River So I Could Drive The Boat. I Run A Napa Water Seperator Now. Easier To Get And Havent Had Any Problems Yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts