Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and read about jet setups for full race on a track would need to be changed to race on a river or lake race. Would someone please explain the reasons for the changes needed and why. If a sanctioned race is held on a river or lake, then why would u need to change anything to race on the river or lake anywhere else????

·
2001 cheyenne Splash 555
175 Posts
Do away with reverse

Most racers do away with reverse and use it as a netural. So you can start your engine on the starting line without causing your boat to move. You do this with a block off of the reverse and bore holes in the side of the reverse gate

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I have heard and read about jet setups for full race on a track would need to be changed to race on a river or lake race. Would someone please explain the reasons for the changes needed and why. If a sanctioned race is held on a river or lake, then why would u need to change anything to race on the river or lake anywhere else????
I run the same set up in mine w/ no problems. I know guys who used to add a ton of shoe on the river because they were only going 600-700 ft. opposed to a 1/4 mile.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts

I may be wrong here but I think the difference is tryin to run a number at the track and when on the river racing your gonna run it as hard as you can run it not having to worry about breaking out .. Its just river racing vs. on the clocks at the track .. One might get alittle more aggressive with his setup at the river to be king of the cove ;)

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I run the same set up in mine w/ no problems. I know guys who used to add a ton of shoe on the river because they were only going 600-700 ft. opposed to a 1/4 mile.
I figured it would be opposite, more shoe for the 1320 vs less shoe for 700. I know some guys tht run a deep loader for rough water. I was explained to me once that as the shoe was incrementaly dropped, you would see increased mph, as the hull was raised upon the shoe/rideplate.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Deeper my shoe is the slower my boat is once I pass the keel over .060. Pump starts overloading driving the bow down and making the boat slower. Every boats different so it's really dependent on a bunch of factors. Most guys are slowing Down at the track to run in a bracket so like posted above I'd say most unleash things on the river.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think you have heard this from some people because of shut down concerns. Some folks run a more aggressive hardware setup at the track which tends to shutdown harder. Then when river time comes they back off the hardware for a smoother shut down. This is the concerns I've heard yet I leave my boat the same from the track to the river.

·
CANT RE MEMBER
1,159 Posts
Mine isn't full race by any means, but going to the track i will move the seat over for center steer just to balance the boat for safty reasons.

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Bug.... for me it kind of depends on water conditions and length of course. When we send some of the guys down to Houston for the "Winter Nationals" where they only race about 500' and the water is reasonably smooth... We loosen the boats up and possibly change impeller and/or nozzle size to where the bowl pressure builds quick and the boat "gets on top" of the water quicker.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I figured it would be opposite, more shoe for the 1320 vs less shoe for 700. I know some guys tht run a deep loader for rough water. I was explained to me once that as the shoe was incrementaly dropped, you would see increased mph, as the hull was raised upon the shoe/rideplate.
shoe depth and opening are going to be set based on what the data tells you. that's not going to change whether you're on a track or on the river. there are lots of "adjustments" that might be made from track to track. but i'd never drop or raise the shoe simply because i'm going on the lake.
people can do a number of different things in order to dial in consistent reaction times or et's. but if a person is going to the lake/river to race, those things are set aside. and as juan valdez said, everything goes on kill. but that has very little, if anything, to do with shoes or plates.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I wouldn't want my setup on kill at the lake, many reasons, safety is one, drunk buddies rescue crew is reliable but has organization issue, not going to push my hardware and break shit, of course there are exceptions

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bug.... for me it kind of depends on water conditions and length of course. When we send some of the guys down to Houston for the "Winter Nationals" where they only race about 500' and the water is reasonably smooth... We loosen the boats up and possibly change impeller and/or nozzle size to where the bowl pressure builds quick and the boat "gets on top" of the water quicker.
Steve, you mean to tell me that at the winter nats in houston, they only race for 500 ft? Man, that is chops territory.

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
We never make any changes. :)Unsure We go too fast any place we go so don't need to. :wink2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts