Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok fella's the time may have came for me to start the hunt for my cruiser iv had 2 jets prior to getting into a few family cruisers,im going to save my azz off in the winter so not sure how much i'll have to spend!! so my question's start here
1. who makes a 21-and up vdrive daycruiser(found a shit load of jets)
2. a haul that actually rides good in the rough stuff(have 2 small kids)
3. would like to cruise around 45-50 and still have a little pedal left.

im asking these questions so i know where to start and im not wasting time looking at a bunch of junk!

thanks up front for any info :)devil

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
22+ cruisers are going to be a hard find.
Spectra Made some in the mid to late 70's, I believe
If you find one, it is either going to be really nice or a POS. Typically.
as thru my googling iv seen that so i edit my questions ill start at 21ft- and up:p

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of money are you talking ? I've got a brand new 22' openbow hull on a trailer that I could build as a V-drive. Price depends on power and acessories.

not sure im putting the family on top ramen and hot dogs this whole winter to try and put something together! a open bow would be perfect what would it take to build that sucker with just some mild cruising power:)bulb

·
Banned
742 Posts
Think about it, and PM me with your questions and requests. I build "motor rail installations only", no wood screws ! I'm thinking a 'base motor' for a V-drive would be a marine LS2 385 HP. Marine rigged motors are cheaper than 'custom built' and I already have 2 aluminum 36 gallon fuel tanks bolted into this hull. I make all the rigging myself and you can look at NADA for resale of my boats. I will return to this site later this evening. Thanks for reading.

·
Boatless Member :(
3,006 Posts
Buy a jet, save a lot of money, get a two seater b-boat when they are around 14-16. A jet is probably generally safer for children too and it's much easier for the kids to learn boating and waterspouts from.

Just my 2 cents, it's what my father did and it worked out great for us. When I turned 14, he bought the b-boat, I would cruise with the family and friends (and other friends boats with us) while he gave a member/friend a ride in his boat in the same cruise with a few speed runs here and there wherever we were headed.

Jets have reverse and neutral that don't require the engine to be turned off to change it out of gear. Much easier for children and wife to help you launch and pull the boat out of the water giving them vital boating experience and a sense of accomplishment when they get to participate. With bad weather, which was often the case where I mostly grew up, it was vital that I knew how to handle my own or even the boat entirely while he had the jet, the b-boat and later a 36' Baja when we were out on the water. I doubt he has launched the Baja since I've gone off to college, not that he can't do it but the effort around the inexperienced is stressful and draining. So again, I'd get something that they can both help you work on in the garage and out on the water. Once they learn it all, moving to a v-drive is pretty simple and they should have more respect for what the boat is and boating by that point.

(I'm 22 now in case you are wondering)

·
Backwards Buick
543 Posts
Buy a jet, save a lot of money, get a two seater b-boat when they are around 14-16. A jet is probably generally safer for children too and it's much easier for the kids to learn boating and waterspouts from.

Just my 2 cents, it's what my father did and it worked out great for us. When I turned 14, he bought the b-boat, I would cruise with the family and friends (and other friends boats with us) while he gave a member/friend a ride in his boat in the same cruise with a few speed runs here and there wherever we were headed.

Jets have reverse and neutral that don't require the engine to be turned off to change it out of gear. Much easier for children and wife to help you launch and pull the boat out of the water giving them vital boating experience and a sense of accomplishment when they get to participate. With bad weather, which was often the case where I mostly grew up, it was vital that I knew how to handle my own or even the boat entirely while he had the jet, the b-boat and later a 36' Baja when we were out on the water. I doubt he has launched the Baja since I've gone off to college, not that he can't do it but the effort around the inexperienced is stressful and draining. So again, I'd get something that they can both help you work on in the garage and out on the water. Once they learn it all, moving to a v-drive is pretty simple and they should have more respect for what the boat is and boating by that point.

I don't know about going jet first, you will be spending more money on fuel for one because to get the size jetboat you want it will be A LOT of boat for a jet. As far as the Forward Neutral reverse. Most V-drive cruisers have Transmission and dont require you shutting off the engine to change gears. JMO take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Schiada, Hallett Vector,Spectra, Howard, Sanger V Drive Cruisers. LiL Rick has one on these boards it was a Spectra, and He was only asking 10 turn key. I thought it was very reasonable. That boat would definately get you done................

·
Boatless Member :(
3,006 Posts
Most V-drive cruisers have Transmission and dont require you shutting off the engine to change gears.
I didn't know this, yes the jet uses more fuel but if you go with a four/six seater it's about the same. It just depends how you play. Sounds like he wants to go some what fast, maybe do 70ish or so. If you do that in any boat your going to dump fuel. Even going 50ish is going to drink.

What I expressed is the route that my father took, maybe not by choice but it worked out great for me. Just throwing it out there. It gave him the ability to have a boat I can drive myself and learn the world of boating from and another one he can do 120mph in the end. Sometimes we took both out sometime just one. Depending on the circumstances.

You said your kids are young. If you get a jet now, you can save for ten years for a b-boat and get a nice ride. I think he paid around 7 to 8 for a 19' Challenger with a 455 olds. Later he got a steal on a b-boat in extremely good condition and slapped a 427 in it with an 8-71. We did have to do a lot of re-builds on the Jet so maybe looking back a v-drive would have been better. I really can not say.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
He asked who makes V-drive daycruisers, not what your opinion was on them. Everyone has a different opinion on the perfect family boat...for me I would say a pontoon first and a 28 Magic deck when your ready to get serious.

For the V-drive daycruisers...they are bad to the bone and the Shiada in the Boat Spam is a pretty good deal. The cool thing about the V-cruisers is that you can endlessly do mods and the depreciation isn't too bad. They have a strong following and you'll get lots of looks because we all theck them out.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm totally sold on the v-drive cruiser thing, I looked at them for 3 years and settled on a 21 Spectra. Still in the rebuild stage. My opinion on a v-drive is that high performance IS fuel efficiency if you set it up right. I run twin 750 vacuum secondary carbs with 50 cc accelerater pumps on my blown 468 Sanger and it gets a lot better fuel milage with 32 gears than anything, jets, outboards and IO's. I'm going to run the same set up on my Spectra with a 496, 32 gears and a 871. I'm thinking that set up will be affordable to cruise 50 to 60 mph effortlessly on the primarys. The only downside is prop and rudder clearance when taking the family skiing / swimming and hanging out at the beach, you definately need a nice didgital depth finder around here and you have to pay a LOT more attention............................... Plus when you get the cash, you can just pour the HP to them and not break driveline parts............. My humble .02

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm totally sold on the v-drive cruiser thing, I looked at them for 3 years and settled on a 21 Spectra. Still in the rebuild stage. My opinion on a v-drive is that high performance IS fuel efficiency if you set it up right. I run twin 750 vacuum secondary carbs with 50 cc accelerater pumps on my blown 468 Sanger and it gets a lot better fuel milage with 32 gears than anything, jets, outboards and IO's. I'm going to run the same set up on my Spectra with a 496, 32 gears and a 871. I'm thinking that set up will be affordable to cruise 50 to 60 mph effortlessly on the primarys. The only downside is prop and rudder clearance when taking the family skiing / swimming and hanging out at the beach, you definately need a nice didgital depth finder around here and you have to pay a LOT more attention............................... Plus when you get the cash, you can just pour the HP to them and not break driveline parts............. My humble .02
i agree as stated above the mods can be endless and you can start out with just a family cruiser and lil this, lil that...boom now ya got a ripper that also hauls the family around comfortable. thatss why i wanna narrow it down as far as what rides the best im not looking to go a hun all day id be happy cruisin at 50-60 without the foot thru the floor!
thanks for the list of good boats...im gonna have to get my azz in gear there is some sweat rides for sale!!

·
Upstanding Member
12,717 Posts

I know of 100's of families who skipped right over the safer jetboat stage without incident or injury. And many of these families did it without reverse!!

Were those families just blessed with higher than average common sense? :)hand

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.