Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what to expect out my gas tank. only have a 5 galon one for now. this is my first boat , 74 marlin jet boat with 455 olds. how long can i run on the 5 galons? will be upgrading to 2 eleven galons this winter..

·
Registered
829 Posts
just wondering what to expect out my gas tank. only have a 5 galon one for now. this is my first boat , 74 marlin jet boat with 455 olds. how long can i run on the 5 galons? will be upgrading to 2 eleven galons this winter..
you'll be good for one, maybe two hours of driving time. my two 11 gallon tanks last one day of driving up and down the river, with my 454 bbc.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
my 2 10 gallon tanks take me 16 miles up river and 16 miles back with not a lot left over.. then again i do keep my foot in it most of the way.

350 SBC 750 CFU double pumper.

if i kept my foot out of it more or drove like i had some sense it would probably last longer.. So average 55 mph for 32 miles on 20 gallons. When i say it like that i hang my head.

Edit: Before any one says it.. yes i have checked for leaks and found none..

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It all boils down to hull weight, efficiency, engine, and how into it you are. I have two 11 gallon tanks that will last me almost all weekend of cruisin if I'm not in it all the time.

My boat stays on plane at around 2500rpm so the engine doesn't have to work too hard to keep her goin at speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks!

i know this was probally a stupid question, but was just curious. will definitly keep my eyes on my fuel,even though my mind seems to forget the important things!
heading out to wampers in the mourning for my first voyage:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i know this was probally a stupid question, but was just curious. will definitly keep my eyes on my fuel,even though my mind seems to forget the important things!
heading out to wampers in the mourning for my first voyage:D

Just stay close to shore incase you got to paddle.. Would not hurt to take a jerry can with you your first time. Since you only got 5 gallons the jerry can can allways get you home. Thats how i run on two tanks.. one tank there, one tank back.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Just stay close to shore incase you got to paddle.. Would not hurt to take a jerry can with you your first time. Since you only got 5 gallons the jerry can can allways get you home. Thats how i run on two tanks.. one tank there, one tank back.
If he runs up river first coming home might be easier :)bulb

One year we blew up our roller cam 472 ( +.060 460) and then replaced that engine with a stock 460 short block and a Comp hyd flat tappet. We figured our big engine got nearly twice the fuel milage that the stocker did. It had to work much harder to run up river at 3,500-3,800. It blew up on the second day. BNAG :|err

And yes, a 5 gal Jerry jug sounds like a good idea.

S CP :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I run a 20-gal tank, and a mildly modified 454.

I can get about 3 1/2 hours of skiiing or tubing out of it, if I am careful.

Ran it dry once in a bit over 2 hours, power-cruising with my foot in it pretty good most of the time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One year we blew up our roller cam 472 ( +.060 460) and then replaced that engine with a stock 460 short block and a Comp hyd flat tappet. We figured our big engine got nearly twice the fuel milage that the stocker did. It had to work much harder to run up river at 3,500-3,800. It blew up on the second day. BNAG
Ditto

Went from a 460 stocker 4 hours on two tanks 24 gallons total. 12-1 472 roller cam a tunnel ram and a pair of 750s 3 hours on 12 gallons

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts

Rule of thumb. 10 gallons and hour for every 100 ponies. All I can say is "bring a rope".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.