Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys that really helps me with my decision making. my next boat is going to be a dual purpose boat (ocean and lakes) loving going to catalina and shoot maybe a trip down the coast to san dog. dont like plain galvanized and i dont recall ever seeing a painted galvi but now that i know that i can i think perhaps i will:D

· E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,625 Posts
can you paint a galvanized trailer? or do you take away the purpose of galvalinity when you paint it??
Galvanizing is coating the metal trailer in molten zinc. Painting the zinc does nothing to the galvanizing, unless you sand-blast all the zinc off first (do not do this).

· Registered
1,486 Posts
Aluminum is the only way to go in salt. We tried every type of trailer when I was in the SEAL teams, including Galcoat (galvanized and powdercoated) and aluminum, by far, held up the best. Be sure to have them use stainless bolts with it. It will look much better in the long run.

Darrell.

· "On the road again..."
9,162 Posts
You can paint it no problem but if using in saltwater, aluminum with galvanized springs, axles, etc. is the way to go. I live on the Gulf Coast and talk from experience.

· Registered
49 Posts
I also don't like the look of galv so I went with aluminum and I think it looks great as it is.
What wheels are those? I need to get them for my trailers so they match my truck :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.