Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas is up, and is now $4.69 a gallon for premium where I live (SoCal). I was wondering is there are any mods or accessories for improving jet pump efficiency. Are race pumps, such as the Berkeley 12JR with the inducer preloader impeller, more efficient?

Michael

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Jets and "fuel economy" are not neccesarily "synonomous" unfortunatley not a whole lot you can do beyond making sure alls working at max efficiancy (engine , trim etc ) and , just get out and vote ! :)hand

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Get a boat with a propeller. :)devil

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
Do more cruising than floorin it. My deck does ok as long as the secondaries stay closed. When they open, she drinks the fuel. Cruising I can go a few weekends.

·
Steve
402 Posts
You can drop your RPMs down with an impeller change, that might help a little. If you have a vacuum secondary carb, you could try a stiffer spring on the secondaries. That way it takes them longer to open all the way, if they ever do open completely. But as stated, nothings going to help as much as a lighter foot on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am going with an LS and a prop this year!!!:D My daily driver is a highly modified Geo Metro that gets 65 MPG so yes I am all about some fuel mileage. Most of the things to save fuel will not be much fun in a boat. Things that would help will be: bumping up compression as high as possible for the fuel you want to run, lowering cruise RPMs, make sure everything is tuned up and not running rich, advance ignition timing, most of all make sure your friends help out with the cost of everything!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Did some math today , admittedly we don't use our boat as much as some , went thru a 50 gal drum and a half of fuel last season and will likley do the same this one, if gas is up a buck a gallon thats $75 bucks if I use it twice as much thats $150, Not happy about it and sure don't like it it but doesn't sound so grim when I look at it way , now the daily commute , thats a different question :mad: Gotta have drilling in the US and that pipeline Now folks !

Edit : Sorry for the little "jog" to the politics but its tought to contain!

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Did some math today , admittedly we don't use our boat as much as some , went thru a 50 gal drum and a half of fuel last season and will likley do the same this one, if gas is up a buck a gallon thats $75 bucks if I use it twice as much thats $150, Not happy about it and sure don't like it it but doesn't sound so grim when I look at it way , now the daily commute , thats a different question :mad: Gotta have drilling in the US and that pipeline Now folks !
I agree with Tom. First thing is we need to have more domestic oil production to bring the cost down. Currently the crude oil and gasoline street prices are controlled by the FUTURES MARKET. Somebody can stump their toe in one of the OPEC nations and gasoline goes up here in the US a few cents before the day is out. I really don't fully understand the political philosophy not to utilize our natural resources, especially if we have plenty. Crude oil is still the most efficient means of producing gasoline and BTU's.

Back to the topic.... As Tom showed, if he doubles his fuel useage from last year, his cost to operate will increase $150.00. Assuming your jet is in average condition, one cannot increase the efficiency of the pump to offset the fuel cost. If your pump is worn out, well, then it needs an overhaul anyway and it will cost in excess of $150.

JMO
Gear

·
Registered
319 Posts
LS

I am trying something new to me. a turbocharged LS-1 with EFI. AA impeller. not just for economy, its also lighter weight than the old BBF.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am going with an LS and a prop this year!!!:D My daily driver is a highly modified Geo Metro that gets 65 MPG so yes I am all about some fuel mileage. Most of the things to save fuel will not be much fun in a boat. Things that would help will be: bumping up compression as high as possible for the fuel you want to run, lowering cruise RPMs, make sure everything is tuned up and not running rich, advance ignition timing, most of all make sure your friends help out with the cost of everything!
My jet boat is meant for wasting gas and relaxing.... but tell me more about this Geo Metro!!

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
No more FREE RIDES, everyone have to chip in, distribute the wealth
Best post in this thread.

We had a boat for years on Parker Strip. Everyone always wanted to go out and party. But no one wanted to fill ice chest with food or drinks, help with gas money or help wash down boat when out of water.

Problem solved, sold boats. Now I pitch in and wash the boats. Much easier (and cheaper), plus ... I'm not driving so I can drink all day hahaha

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
I built some 750's and took off the 660's.

Other than that, buy an oil well!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
So many guys gave me shit for running two holley 450's on my 10.2 to 1 pump gas 496. My junk heap can give damn close to 5mpg. Very hard to do with a jet. It can also go 76 mph at 5400 rpm with the loud peddle set to full blast. I can be on plane and cruise at 2800 rpm thanks to the pump work I had done. Stage 1 blueprint with an "A" impeller. Sure it may be faster with a pair of 750's. But looking at what is going on now, I am leaving it alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So many guys gave me shit for running two holley 450's on my 10.2 to 1 pump gas 496. My junk heap can give damn close to 5mpg. Very hard to do with a jet. It can also go 76 mph at 5400 rpm with the loud peddle set to full blast. I can be on plane and cruise at 2800 rpm thanks to the pump work I had done. Stage 1 blueprint with an "A" impeller. Sure it may be faster with a pair of 750's. But looking at what is going on now, I am leaving it alone.
Nice boat!

If you are getting near 5 mpg, you can't complain about that. What kind of speed does it run when cruising at 2800 rpm?

Michael

1 - 20 of 44 Posts