Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have two tanks. however when i filled up my passenger side tank my fuel level showed full on my guage, even before i filled the driver side. Is this normal that the guage only reflects one tank?

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I'd think it would depend on how they've wired it up. I'm not sure they can even wire two senders to one gauge without using some sort of toggle switch to read each one individually. Most the ones I've seen will have a separate gauge for each tank, or the switch you can throw to read one or the other. Typically with two side tanks they will empty out evenly if both are filled. This being the case you really wouldn't need a read on both tanks, unless you didn't top em both off to start with.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Shawn ,my current big boat for example ,has two tank senders and one dash guage but is equipt with a double input single output switch .When "jogged" side to side it reads R or L ,I run one tank to a low level (not out) and then the other. Althought lots of dual tank setups will feed at nearly the same rate just like Squirtha said ,some also wont as well .I've always advocated running one tank at a time. my theory is that if one tank runs out or low before the other the system will start to draw air from the "out" side We use manual brass tank switching valve but there are also Electric switching devices that will handle tanks, senders and even returns $$ Tom

(on my Flatty I use my ski flag handle as a "dipstick":D )

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I'd think it would depend on how they've wired it up. I'm not sure they can even wire two senders to one gauge without using some sort of toggle switch to read each one individually. Most the ones I've seen will have a separate gauge for each tank, or the switch you can throw to read one or the other. Typically with two side tanks they will empty out evenly if both are filled. This being the case you really wouldn't need a read on both tanks, unless you didn't top em both off to start with.
Damn Dan you are on a roll. I will leave all the answers to you. Every thread i have looked at this morning you were on it.

What he said........:)hand

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill add this. i have a brass lever in the back that only allows one tank to run at a time. However i do have some toggles on my dash that are not marked that i had no idea what they did.... :)bulb

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Damn Dan you are on a roll. I will leave all the answers to you. Every thread i have looked at this morning you were on it.

What he said........:)hand
I don't know squat. Just guessing. :)devil

That's why my favorite board words are........I think, it seems like, maybe, I wonder if, is it possible, I've heard, I've seen......etc. etc. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't know if it's what you have going on, but the tanks in my tahiti would " self level" if both valves were on.
gravity will cause both tanks to self level if the line connecting the 2 tanks does not go higher than the fuel level. if those lines are above the fuel level then they will not self level.......... doesnt anyone remember science class?

as far as the switch thing. i think it comes to preference. i was told that if you're gonna draw off 2 tanks at the same time then the 2 lines need to be the same exact length and diameter up to the "T" . otherwise you will draw off one tank faster than the other

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
gravity will cause both tanks to self level if the line connecting the 2 tanks does not go higher than the fuel level. if those lines are above the fuel level then they will not self level.......... doesnt anyone remember science class?

as far as the switch thing. i think it comes to preference. i was told that if you're gonna draw off 2 tanks at the same time then the 2 lines need to be the same exact length and diameter up to the "T" . otherwise you will draw off one tank faster than the other
On my old flatty the tank lines came off the bottom of the tanks, on my new boat they pull out the top and go down in the tank! This goes out to a tee one tank to the other across the back of the transom then to the pump. so you are saying it will pull from one tank and not both on the new boat without a valve in line ???

·
Cajun Member
1,436 Posts
On my old flatty the tank lines came off the bottom of the tanks, on my new boat they pull out the top and go down in the tank! This goes out to a tee one tank to the other across the back of the transom then to the pump. so you are saying it will pull from one tank and not both on the new boat without a valve in line ???
Even though I have equal length hose from tanks to T, I have ran one tank dry before the other and started to pull air from the empty tank.(tanks fed from top)I will damn sure rig the new boat like Tom suggests.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I've often wondered why you couldn't put a cross-over line in the bottom of the tanks so they would self level. It works very well on BIG RIG saddle tanks. Seems to me the line could run across the transom and be out of the way.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i have two tanks and a manual swith, and one gas gauge with a toogle switch to check either side, i cant tel a difference when i run one side dry and the other is full

·
I never hit bottom.
193 Posts
Dont know if its right, but it works for me.

I have both feeds from my tanks going to a T then right to the fuel pump.

Whenever I fill it up, Its almost identical amounts of fuel in each tank.

I spend most of my day just floating around, so i guess once the air is out of the system, they self level..

Just my .02

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
My last tanks fed from the bottom (gravity) and would self-level. The two sets of tanks I have now feed from the top. Although they're usually pretty close on levels, I don't think they "self-level".

Plumbed with equal lengths of hoses into a "T", then the filter, then to the fuel pump. One thing I know for sure is if one tank empties...........you're effectively out of gas even if the other one has fuel in it. I'm not plumbed in such a way that I can shut the feed off from the individual tanks.

Might just have to rectify that on the new boat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts