Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after dropping $230.00 to fill the truck and boat last weekend and knowing that gas prices will never get better. I started wondering about engine builds and upgrades for better fuel economy. There are several threads going on about whether people will make less trips to the lake or river. I'm wondering if we start looking at different ways to burn a little less gas without giving up performance all together.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I think as long as VISA/MC/Discover are around people will spend it on their indulgence. I boat on a small lake in NE TN. It is a pontoon lake but with the popularity of wake board boats growing we have seen our fair share of these gas guzzlers invade our lake. I know one of the families that runs one of the marinas on our lake and in '07 with gas at $4 a gallon on our lake they pumped 3X the amount of gas compared to their best previous.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I rebuilt my engine to handle 89. Its also a little under carbed so it sips the fuel. That and its only 19 feet long. I can go all weekend on 22 gallons of fuel as long as I'm not flogging the piss out of it.

The gas thing is starting to hurt that is for sure.

~Brian

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yep, The cost of fuel has altered my car and boating recreation. Sh*tcanned the idea of building a 540" stroker for one of my cars. The 460 thats in it now will have to do. Thought about building a bigger FE engine for my Lavey-Craft, canned that idea too, the near stock 390 thats in it now works just fine. Runs all day on 10 gallons of 89 octane and with some minor tweaking I think it'll do just fine on 87 octane. I'll still buy ERC 110 for the other boats but not in the quanitys I once did. Any car engines I build in the future will be built to run economically on 87 or 89 oct. with a target of 16-17 mpg. If fuel does come down in price it will be a token drop just to make us feel good.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
I'll ride the motorcycle whenever possible to save fuel.
I'll limit my lake trips to one CFW and the rest Lahontan.
But blown alcohol is my thing and if I can't afford it...I'll boat no more.
I figure this year and MAYBE next and I am done.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
its affecting everyone:|errwe live on lake qauchtia and its a very big lake,use to i would 12 gallons in each side of 93 octane and go then refill the same day.not anymore.im thinking 10 gallons get where im going sit around and then go home.i hate doing that but its better than not going at all.;)

im going yo see much more b.s. time and alot less actuall boating:)sphss

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I made the switch to E85. Staying local more less trips.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I convinced my wife to let me build the motor bigger, and put a bigger blower on (Weiand 177 to a B&M 420). Now I can run a larger prop, and cruise at a lower RPM, so our long runs should use less gas :D. ounds good, huh?

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Fcuk all that noise! While I certainly should shave some fat off my unscheduled budget. Scrimp here, save there... Whatever! That all sounds like too much work to me. And makes me feel like a victim of fuel cost and economics. Personally, I'd rather spend the time and energy figuring out a way to just make more money. Isn't that what the goal has always been anyway?!! I hate being in a victim mentality for more than a half hour or so a month... usually way less. Then again, my glass is always half full :)sphss

·
Hondo Jet
120 Posts
I'm setting my boat up for E-85. I will let everyone know how it works out cost and performance wise as soon as I get it together.

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm setting my boat up for E-85. I will let everyone know how it works out cost and performance wise as soon as I get it together.
I just did a look up and we only have 4 E85 stations in CA and they are all in Socal.

·
Registered
762 Posts
So after dropping $230.00 to fill the truck and boat last weekend and knowing that gas prices will never get better. I started wondering about engine builds and upgrades for better fuel economy. There are several threads going on about whether people will make less trips to the lake or river. I'm wondering if we start looking at different ways to burn a little less gas without giving up performance all together.

Opinions?
Gary,
Just go easy on the loud pedal and you'll be fine. How's the water level at Pedro?

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gary,
Just go easy on the loud pedal and you'll be fine. How's the water level at Pedro?
Mike,

The lake is low and it's not rising like it should this time of year. It's still down about 50 feet and it only rose about 2.5 feet in April. We need 25 feet of water in May and it ain't gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what I've read about E85 it produces less power per gallon. But it has a much higher octain rating so you could get the power back by building a motor with much higher compression. But you need to keep the option of running pump gas if needed do to the limited availability of E85 so building a 12.5 to 1 motor is not a good option for a family lake hot rod.

But with a turbo deal maybe you could crank the boost up with E85 and back it off if you have to run pump gas.

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you thinking about going to a turbo set up?
Actually I just started thinking towards a basic rebuild next winter and then after my last rip to the gas station I started thinking along the lines of this thread.

But maybe at these gas prices a turbo can be a more cost effective way to build some power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts