Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently have blown gas 522 in our flatty. it has a bowtie block, ross pistons, aluminum rods and a chevy crank (static compression about 8:1). It has an interrcooler and a 1271 making about 18lbs of boost with a bird catchers on top. As you can imagine gas for this thing is expensive, so we've been tossing around the idea of switching to alcohol.

What would be involved in making the switch? Keep in mind we're not looking for a top alcohol motor, just something with cheaper fuel and easier to tune.

We have a new 540 short block with new eagle crank and rods and JE flat top pistons sitting in the garage. We also have two sets of fresh aluminum heads (dart and brodix), with the brodix heads on the 540 static compression is about 9.5:1, not sure about the darts.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Perfect for a switch to E-85 105 octane. Cooling of 85% ethanol. Where are you located?
Running methanol you would need to up the compression ratio to 12/1 to get best results.
Other forums E85performance.net E85forum.com Yellowbullet.com lots of info out there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You need to flow your injection, a little low on compression, probably need a bigger pump. Re-plumb the fuel lines and a bigger fuel tank. Have a good ignition.

·
Gone
1,834 Posts
Whatever compression you want to have....from 8 to 1 to 12.5 to 1. Higher is better but does not mean it won't run good. Same pump....change nozzle bodies, spool, nozzles and main jet.
No high speed required. Simple.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pump is a 80a and I assumed I'd have to flow the fuel system at the very least, probably go with a bigger pump. What about the blower

·
Gone
1,834 Posts
If you are going to continue to run 20 lbs or less boost...and 80a if it is good shape is fine.
Flow it if you want to and it makes you feel better. Otherwise I can give you a leak % on the barrell to start...nozzle sizes, main jet to start etc and tune it from there.

·
Village Idiot
3,573 Posts
Fiat can give you a good starting point as he has set up a number of people. If I were in your shoes I might look into E85 as an option if you have it anywhere near you. If you don't then have at the alky. Good luck.

Paul

·
i'm back!!
687 Posts
80a ok on low boost, but at 8-1 with 20 lbs ur makin more power on the gas deal. needs 11-1 min with 110 pump and u will really go through the alky...and id run a good mag also. I would burn about 85 gal c16 per weekend when i switched to alky about 150+ per weekend. not good...a bit lower cost but transport of fuel is a bitch.

·
Frst Round Runnerup
334 Posts
Listen to Fiat. We just did this on my boat this year. 8.5to1 compression 516 CI BBC. Bob gave me a tune up, started and ran good right out of the box. He has only been doing this since God was a small child!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Listen to Fiat. We just did this on my boat this year. 8.5to1 compression 516 CI BBC. Bob gave me a tune up, started and ran good right out of the box. He has only been doing this since God was a small child!
Bob will make it so simple, you will stare at the motor after running it & felling more power than you ever imagined & keep asking yourself over & over again "It can't be that simple, it just can't"

Be warned though, most cases end up in broken drive train problems.......

Also if you have run injected gas, injected alky tuning will be so much simpler.

Run the additive & not worry about draining the fuel.

Many will give you different advice all I can tell you is what I have learned. Listen to Bob.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Run the additive & not worry about draining the fuel.

Many will give you different advice all I can tell you is what I have learned. Listen to Bob.
That is one comment that wil start a war of words on any performance forum. :):)punch
I happen to agree with you.

The sand car in my avatar was on methanol from 2000 until 2008. I NEVER drained the tank. I did use VP M1 exclusively, and I use the lube/odorizer from Manhattan Oils. When I sold the car, I only had to replace one fitting that had very minor corrosion starting at the edge of the seat (AN fitting).
Keep your drums/gas cans of E85 and Methanol away from moisture. Alcohol is hydroscopic, it will absorb water from the atmosphere. Never let water sit on top of a fuel drum, etc.
Sorry for the hijack. :)hand

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great stuff, thanks guys!

I've been on the boards long enugh to know to listen when Fiat speaks :). We'll pull the motor in a few weeks and check everything, then I'll be contacting Fiat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts