Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents.

Been reading some of the post's about the blower engine's Gas vs Alky. Very interesting stuff.

My guestion,

Building a 600BBF 12-71. 1050 Dommies - Gas.
After reading how much better or "easier" on an engine, Alky is?
Can I still use carbs? Change them to Alky?
Or do I need a hat? What about fuel lines? anything special needed?

Now you all have me thinking! Questioning my build!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Gents.

Been reading some of the post's about the blower engine's Gas vs Alky. Very interesting stuff.

My guestion,

Building a 600BBF 12-71. 1050 Dommies - Gas.
After reading how much better or "easier" on an engine, Alky is?
Can I still use carbs? Change them to Alky?
Or do I need a hat? What about fuel lines? anything special needed?

Now you all have me thinking! Questioning my build!
Can not help with your question...
But that is awesome that you are buliding a 600 BBF just make it blown and injected and have a great time. I wanted to build another ford but the HYdro came with all BBC stuff and just could not see spending the 2-3K to replace it with BBF stuff. I run a 514 BBF in my sanger jet and love it:)devil

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can not help with your question...
But that is awesome that you are buliding a 600 BBF just make it blown and injected and have a great time. I wanted to build another ford but the HYdro came with all BBC stuff and just could not see spending the 2-3K to replace it with BBF stuff. I run a 514 BBF in my sanger jet and love it:)devil
When I orginally purchased my Hallett 19' 6" it also had a 496 blown BBC. Well guess what? yep.

As Soon as this ground up restore is complete, ton of pictures will be posted.

I think I answered my question. I'll stick with Gas (AV), this will be a lake boat hard to find ALKY at a lake. I will bring fuel with me, but being my boat is an X-ski race boat (Twin 35 gallon tanks) I should be fine for a weekend. Besides, always ran Gas (AV) never had a problem, even is all the Superstocks we ran... I'll be running a Blower shop inter-cooler.

good day

·
Registered
877 Posts
Also wondering about alky carbs on a roots blown lake boat moter. Built several over 1000h.p. gas motors over the years with great success. Got a customer wanting to build a blown alky deal but being a lake boat not much interested in the hat deal. Other option would be electronic injection but also something I know nothing about.

·
Registered
633 Posts
When I orginally purchased my Hallett 19' 6" it also had a 496 blown BBC. Well guess what? yep.

As Soon as this ground up restore is complete, ton of pictures will be posted.

I think I answered my question. I'll stick with Gas (AV), this will be a lake boat hard to find ALKY at a lake. I will bring fuel with me, but being my boat is an X-ski race boat (Twin 35 gallon tanks) I should be fine for a weekend. Besides, always ran Gas (AV) never had a problem, even is all the Superstocks we ran... I'll be running a Blower shop inter-cooler.

good day
Just wondering do they have AV-gas at the lake you go to ???......Eric:)hand

·
Registered
633 Posts
Also wondering about alky carbs on a roots blown lake boat moter. Built several over 1000h.p. gas motors over the years with great success. Got a customer wanting to build a blown alky deal but being a lake boat not much interested in the hat deal. Other option would be electronic injection but also something I know nothing about.
They do make a blo-thru carb for turbo's on alky , but have not seen any alky carb's on top of a blower,,normally since the amount of fuel (about 1.7 x ) carb's just dont seem to be the answer to me ,, when you use fuel injection you get a better FAN of fuel , ( both with gas and alky , )....Eric:)hand

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Punisher, are these guys converting blown gas engines to e-85. I am trying to build a dedicated alky motor, as in more compression, bigger cylinder heads and hopefully more h.p... hopefully with some reliability.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Punisher, are these guys converting blown gas engines to e-85. I am trying to build a dedicated alky motor, as in more compression, bigger cylinder heads and hopefully more h.p... hopefully with some reliability.
You can drive around with a ALKY injection system,( is it ideal maybe not ) what application boat are you trying to put the alky in ?.........E:)hand

·
GTO's and Jets
125 Posts
1 guy I know personally is running 11.5:1 compression and overdriving 30% with an 8-71 on E-85 and cometic MLS head gaskets.

The naturally aspirated guys are running up to 15:1 with it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Alky Express, 19 ft pickle fork jet boat. New build from the ground up. Looking for in excess of 1200 h.p. I have a 509 dart,Callies, Oliver steel rods, Brodix heads. Littlefield 10-71 and 2 dominators that made just over 1000h.p. on c-12 with about 10 lbs of boost This has proved to be a reliable combination for this customer but looking to step it up a bit and still be user friendly. Still trying to be a lake boat that doesnt have to come back to see me every week.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Alky Express, 19 ft pickle fork jet boat. New build from the ground up. Looking for in excess of 1200 h.p. I have a 509 dart,Callies, Oliver steel rods, Brodix heads. Littlefield 10-71 and 2 dominators that made just over 1000h.p. on c-12 with about 10 lbs of boost This has proved to be a reliable combination for this customer but looking to step it up a bit and still be user friendly. Still trying to be a lake boat that doesnt have to come back to see me every week.
DITCH THE DOMI'S,, lol , Just put a hat on it, (better throttle responce )...Eric:)hand

1 - 12 of 12 Posts