Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a rumor that it may be possible to gain horsepower when adding diesel and gasoline at the proper ratio.
I believe there is a test ongoing as we speak. Rumor also states that this is the fuel that Highnoon will be using July 4th.
Danhercules can you give us an update on how the "secret" blend is working for you this morning?

Can you also elaborate on why you are running late for our scheduled river trip? Hurry up we are waiting for you. :)

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
Sounds like a good way to ruin your engine. It doesn't take much gas to mess up diesel. I've had to clean out many fuel tanks after the driver did an OH SHIT at the pumps and started putting gas in.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Sounds like a good way to ruin your engine. It doesn't take much gas to mess up diesel. I've had to clean out many fuel tanks after the driver did an OH SHIT at the pumps and started putting gas in.
x2, not a good idea unless you're deliberately tryin to melt a piston:D cetane booster is about the only thing you can do to deisel fuel.

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
Ya think 10 gal is too much in my 26 gal tank ?

Yes, ok I pulled the " dumbass of the month" yea even worse than calling out a jetboat the is 20mph faster than I am. I put 10 gal of gas in my Dmax. Getting it pumped out now. Hope to be on the road in about an hr.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Let me guess, Dan may have thrown gas in his truck. That is not ususally a good way to start a trip.

Cy

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Ya think 10 gal is too much in my 26 gal tank ?

Yes, ok I pulled the " dumbass of the month" yea even worse than calling out a jetboat the is 20mph faster than I am. I put 10 gal of gas in my Dmax. Getting it pumped out now. Hope to be on the road in about an hr.
makes great weedkiller:)devil:D change the filter too and have them clean out the return cooler as well, it holds quite a bit of fuel.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really I cant believe anyone would be that dumb to put gas in a diesel.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i get 1 every other wk in here on a wrecker due to it, gravy $$$$$:D

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
Complete dumbass, Yes. I was smart enough to realize it while pumping. I never started it. They are pumping it out of the tank.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I don't know which hurts worse, The cost of having the fuel you paid for being pumped out or the cost of buying said fuel. I am sorry to hear this. But I am laughing because this would have never happened if you were at work like you are supposed to be. lol.

·
Just Me
4,059 Posts
Back before all the fancy tank heaters and diesel addatives we used to put about a masson jar full of gas into a 100 gal diesel tank to help them start in the winter and keep from gelling. 10 gal to 14 gal might be a bit much. I hope you caught it before you started the truck.

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
All done. On the road!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Whatever A$$HOLE. I will just sit here in my 7-Eleven and drink away my sorrow of not going to the river iuntil my brain shuts down. (Slurpee) Have a good trip and be safe.

Cy

·
Registered
166 Posts
why am i not surprized? "Efin Danny...... not a day goes by"
oh and Dan...... dont forget to RE-FILL the fuel tank. still remember sittin on the 15 waiting for AAA to bring us some deisel. :)hand

have fun you guys...

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Really.....................

You should check the chemical makeup of JP-4 sometime (that would be millitary designated jet turbine fuel).
The civilian version is Jet A+ I believe.

It is, very close to, kerosene mixed with gasoline, nearly 50-50.

Kerosene runs fine in diesels (and does not gel up in winter in cold climates). It has LESS power tho, due to the lost parafin.

Very few millitary vehicles are fueled by Diesel fuel.
They ARE diesel engines, but, especially in the US Army, and especially overseas, are run on the current turbine fuel, JP-8. Been there, watched the lines at the tankers. PLS's, Hemmits, Bradleys, and Hummers (all DIESEL ENGINES) at the same tap as Abrams' (a turbine).

I have run many a diesel on JP-4. they start much easier in cold climates.

You DON'T run JP-4 in a gasoline engine, unless you want to melt stuff.

Yes, you CAN run gasoline in a diesel (in fact, millitary 2.5-ton trucks run EITHER FUEL (without computers to tell the engine which one it has in it like cars and e-85 flex fuel setups have).

Power gain or not, dunno, will have to see that tested.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts

You should check the chemical makeup of JP-4 sometime (that would be millitary designated jet turbine fuel).

Kerosene runs fine in diesels (and does not gel up in winter in cold climates). It has LESS power tho, due to the lost parafin.

They ARE diesel engines, but, especially in the US Army, and especially overseas, are run on the current turbine fuel, JP-8. Been there, watched the lines at the tankers. PLS's, Hemmits, Bradleys, and Hummers (all DIESEL ENGINES) at the same tap as Abrams' (a turbine).

Yes, you CAN run gasoline in a diesel (in fact, millitary 2.5-ton trucks run EITHER FUEL (without computers to tell the engine which one it has in it like cars and e-85 flex fuel setups have).

let's see this magic motor:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
still waitin to see this motor that'll run gas or deisel:)hand pretty sure its bs but ya never know:D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

I heard about this years ago, that the military wanted to use JP 4 for everything to mimize costs. Last I heard Everything from the trucks to the tanks and everything but the nuclear powered stuff ran on JP 4, or at least now it sounds like JP-8

·
Just Me
4,059 Posts
Yes the Duece and half, veitnam era vehicle, will run on any fuel. It has a multi fuel deisel engine. The engine life is shortened drasticly running on gasoline. And it is an alternate emergency fuel for that vehicle. The duece and half would pretty much run on swamp gas if you could fill the tank with it. The UH-1 would fly on JP4 or JP8 and had white gasoline (unleaded) listed as an emergency fuel. Never saw one run on it, but the -10 (operators manual) had it printed in it. Again, the UH-1 was a Vietnam era aircraft. Most of the military now uses JP8 in most of the vehicles. There are some vehicles that Must run diesel fuel only. JP8 will run in your civilian diesel such as a 2002 7.3 Powerstroke. While JP4 burns hotter than JP8 it has nowhere near the flash point of gasoline. Most diesels will not last running JP4. And for the record JP4 is equivilant of civilian Jet A+. The plus designates the addition of Prist (sp) a fuel additive. The major difference between JP4 and JP8 is the level of refinement. JP8 is less refined and as such heavier. JP4 is liter and less dense and would flow past the rings and take out the bearings on most engines. Diesel and gasoline won't really combine. If you let them settle, the gasoline will rise to the top.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts