Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what type of gauges everyone is running?
Mechanical,or electrical,where applicable,Marine or non marine,Speedo or not,liquid filled or not? what types are best for the Jet boat's....Hal

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
It's a matter or personal choice.

I like mech. gauges for everything especially oil pres. Oil pres, oil temp, water temp, speedo all liquid filled and blower pres. guage. I couldn't find a liquid filled tach :p

I know a racer that likes electric gauges for everything. So it just a matter or choice.

The larger the better if you have room.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover:D

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
On a boat, marine gauges all the way.

I'm running Auto Meter Pro Comp Marine electric gauges. No chance of a leak from an electric gauge.

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I run Beede guages and never had any issues. They are nice,reliable and friendly on the wallet. Tom @ jetboatperformance carrys them in stock along with rex and eddies;)

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I run the Beede guages as well. NOW if I can only figure out how to mount the news ones with the angled bezels. I think the Hardin Marine guages are Beede's as they sure look alike.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I run the Beede guages as well. NOW if I can only figure out how to mount the news ones with the angled bezels. I think the Hardin Marine guages are Beede's as they sure look alike.

Get a drill with a sanding roll on it. The back side of the gauge holes needs to be angled.

Just put these in. Relatively easy on the wallet. Wasn't sure about the CF, but they look great in the boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Get a drill with a sanding roll on it. The back side of the gauge holes needs to be angled.

Just put these in. Relatively easy on the wallet. Wasn't sure about the CF, but they look great in the boat.
CF? I've got the angle but would like to see the brackets on the back side and how they are done. Can you shoot a photo? I don't care what your wiring looks like just what you did to the brackets. Thanks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
CF? I've got the angle but would like to see the brackets on the back side and how they are done. Can you shoot a photo? I don't care what your wiring looks like just what you did to the brackets. Thanks.
CF = Carbon Fiber

I don't have any photos of the backside right now. I can snap some tonight.
All the gauges come with an aluminum "U" type barcket. I just cut one side really short to follow the angle of the gauge on the backside of the dash.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
CF = Carbon Fiber

I don't have any photos of the backside right now. I can snap some tonight.
All the gauges come with an aluminum "U" type barcket. I just cut one side really short to follow the angle of the gauge on the backside of the dash.
That would be great. Your dash looks great. Thanks

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
I used automotive gauges in the Stevens when I rebuilt it.

It's hard to see, but basically what I did was clearance the edge of the gauge hole in the dash so it would clear, then trim one leg of the gauge bracket to the angle of the gauge. Splay the legs out slightly so it tightens down securely and you're done.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
not bad but i like my gauges they look better and not everyone has them.plus you get what you pay for.:)sphss
I guess that's why there are so many brands on the market so you have a choice. I'll take a photo later of my dash mock up and post what I think looks good, or any way to me. I've got a couple of holes that I've got to fill, so please over look that and the fact that I haven't got it painted yet. This is just for fitting purposes. :)coffee

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
I went electrical except for water pressure but that's because i didn't have a choice. If i did it again i would go liquid fill in a boat just because how rough it can be out there at times and the needle doesn't bounce around. Go with a marine gauge if possible, my gauges are auto except my water press which is the same design but marine. What i noticed is that condensation can build in the auto gauges but the marine version didn't have this problem.

Mechanical gauges are more accurate from what i've heard, but for my application i didn't need to be that exact... just needed to know i was close...

·
Administrator
11,647 Posts
396 said:
I run Beede guages and never had any issues. They are nice,reliable and friendly on the wallet. Tom @ jetboatperformance carrys them in stock along with rex and eddies
The Beede's are (were) nice for an economical package. But the factory jacked the price so much now you can get an Autometer or Livorsi for little if any more. Hence we and several others are dumping the Beede product.

Like Hammer said Faria has some similar looking nice packages.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts