Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought I would give it a try to ceramic coat my boat and it turned into a nightmare.:mad: So I started polishing about half the boat before I noticed these little pin holes everywhere FYI GUYS DONT BE STUPID LIKE ME LESSON LEARN ALWAYS DO A TEST SPOT IN A GOOD AREA THAT NOBODY CAN SEE". So I stopped what I was doing and went back to the detail store they told me I needed a heavier grit and those pin holes will go away. I tried a spot only to see it got worse!! I already did some research and found that this could be that the GEL was applied wrong and got air bubbles in it and there's no way of fixing it. So iam pleading with you guys praying there a solution to atleast make it better. Thanks all for responding.
Netbook Automotive lighting Hood Blue Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Stairs Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Blue Sky Azure Electric blue Rectangle
Cloud Hood Automotive lighting Wood Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Azure Blue Automotive design
Hair Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Eyelash

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
What Hull is this, I am having a hard time seeing the pin holes, is this original gel coat or has it been redone? The pin holes would typically be there from an issue when the gel was laid down, oil / water in a line or some type of contaminant. If that is the case you can not buff those out. Cut and buff is great until you go thru the gel coat, if you don't have experience color sanding or even buffing with aggressive compounds get with someone that does as it can really make a huge difference. Also looking at this under florescent lights raises the degree of difficulty as well, so many imperfections will show that you would not see sitting in the sun, if its a show piece its needs to look good under the lights if its a river cruiser make it look great in the sun.

The picture I attached with the 3M bottle looks good, clean reflection of the bottle etc, I had to turn the bank of lights off directly above it for this picture. The second pic in the sun looks good and the depth of color shows. Hopefully you get some additional opinions on this, I am a novice at best... seek professional advise this is just my two cents from being around several shops. Also this boat in the pics is paint not gel but the fluorescent issues are the same either way.

Liquid Fluid Paint Plastic bottle Gas
Hood Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there, Have you already solved your situation. If not there are some remedies, both temporary or permanent. I hate to see a nice boat like yours with perforated gel-kote. But it can be remedied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts