Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Brea/Big River
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to do all the sanding and prep on a 18 foot flat bottom, what should I expect to pay to have someone shoot a single color gelcoat and have them colorsand and buff it? Also, who would you guys recommend in Southern California?

Would it be cheaper or more expensive to have it painted? What would you do if it was your boat (paint or gel)?

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Its going to be cheaper to have it painted than gelled. All the custom paint jobs you see on flats are exactly that, paint jobs. Then you will have a blank canvas that you can shoot graphics on a later date as your budget can afford. Good Luck!:)

· Registered
1,116 Posts
They all start life as gel, but as a redo, you seldom ever see boats of our nature regelled. It's gonna be alot easier to repaint, and your color choices will be far greater. You can choose products from PPG, Dupont, House of Color, and the list goes on. I just repainted my boat a few months ago, Transtar primer,to save a few dollars, PPG black and clear. All automotive products. That was applied over the original gelcoat base. You'll save a ton of money prepping it yourself, thats where most of the time and labor is. Don't be shocked if it takes twice as long as you think though, my boat took six moinths to prep, and that still did not get perfection. I did go black though, it may have looked perfect in white! ;)

· Registered
5,635 Posts
Why would anyone want to save money when buying a primer? that is where you should be dropping it like its hot! spend it there...and on your tape, masking paper, basecoats and clear...everywhere!! even on your w/sand paper, good products make life and the job easier of you and your pocked book in the long run! Why do paint jobs cost so much???;)

· Registered
2,448 Posts
Like Todd said, if you want a good paint job, buy the best of everyting you can find. Ortherwise you may as well by rattle can paint. Good primers can cost as much as your good clear. Epoxy primer is the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.