Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Broke and Pissed
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97' bbc 454, gen 5 !?? I want to go to a carb set-up?? Can I run a IV style??? oval or sqr. port,,,the gen 5 intake gasket seems to line up good with my square port tunnel ram??? any body know for sure??? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)st

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Hell Mercury Marine did it. All of the peanut port headed 5's and 6's came with Mark 4 cast iron intakes. You talk about a port mismatch.

·
Broke and Pissed
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

:)bulb Thanks for info. I was hoping they would work but after finding out oil pan and timing cover where dif. I wanted to be sure!! sure saves me hassles..........thanks.again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!keith:)sphss

·
Some guy
3,634 Posts
Hell Mercury Marine did it. All of the peanut port headed 5's and 6's came with Mark 4 cast iron intakes. You talk about a port mismatch.
I didn't consider or ask about ports, just thought he was asking if it would bolt on.

That port mismatch deal has been the subject of discussions for years. I personally ran a rectangular port intake with oval port heads on a flatbottom I had years ago. I had guys telling me there was no way it would run.............right up until they saw it.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I didn't consider or ask about ports, just thought he was asking if it would bolt on.

That port mismatch deal has been the subject of discussions for years. I personally ran a rectangular port intake with oval port heads on a flatbottom I had years ago. I had guys telling me there was no way it would run.............right up until they saw it.
Yeah when I unbolted mine from my '97 Gen 6 I could not believe the mismatch but hell at 300HP out of 454 cid its not a big deal. We also use to bolt on the square port intakes on the Oval stuff in pull truck stuff. I agree is didn't look good but they ran.

I don't mind a little mismatch in the floor area. .. I think a little "tumble" is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts