Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure its been talked about, but can someone school me on the differences (Pro/cons) of a Gen V block vs the Gen IV. We will be needing to get an oil pan either way so that is not a concern. Also no problem running an electric fuel pump. What else is different?

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
I am sure its been talked about, but can someone school me on the differences (Pro/cons) of a Gen V block vs the Gen IV. We will be needing to get an oil pan either way so that is not a concern. Also no problem running an electric fuel pump. What else is different?
In my opinion, the only advantage of the Gen V or VI block is the one piece rear main seal and the ability to use the cam retainer plate so you don't have to set the end play with a cam button. The disadvantage of the retainer plate is that Cloyes does not make a double roller chain set that will work with the smaller nose on the cam with a retainer plate. They do make a good set (single roller) that will work with hydraulic roller springs and mild solid springs.

·
Banned
697 Posts
you covered the main difference. no fuel pump boss, and 1 pc rear main. Different timing chain cover, They also changed the main oil flow path from the pan rail to along the lifter galley. and of course the big change is the casting holes in the block deck.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Great post Bill. I too am ignorant on the differences. Will IV stuff like starters, oil pans, heads, intakes, dizzys and the like fit a V??

A sticky on the match/mismatchs would really be helpful (hint, hint :D)

·
Banned
697 Posts
Great post Bill. I too am ignorant on the differences. Will IV stuff like starters, oil pans, heads, intakes, dizzys and the like fit a V??

A sticky on the match/mismatchs would really be helpful (hint, hint :D)
The main stuff that DOESN'T direct cross is timing cover, oil pan, oil filter block adapter, heads(sometimes)

You can cross the cams from 4-5, but you need to use a cam button on the 5 and change the cover.

The really big change was from 5-6 when they went to roller lifters.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
If you don't already have the Gen 5, skip it and go to the Gen 6. GM did such a lousy job of thinking things through with the Gen 5, the came out with the Gen 6 to fix it. Mainly for head interchangeability.

·
Administrator
16,874 Posts
Hold On

Guys !!!!!

The V and VI have a priority main oiling system.

DUH :D 5325 mentioned a difference

Copied by Dart And Merlin
in addition to the other differences mentioned this is the big one.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Guys !!!!!

The V and VI have a priority main oiling system.

DUH :D 5325 mentioned a difference

Copied by Dart And Merlin
in addition to the other differences mentioned this is the big one.
Correct Infomaniac, this is the biggest difference and the biggest pro to the motors. You don't have oil starvation problems you have with gen 4 motors. If you have the option go with the gen 5.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
If you have a mark 4 any mods that can help the oiling issues? Sorry if this is jackin. I heard someone a few months ago mention putting pipe cleaners in the pushrods??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Use a VI not a V

I agree with the above post about the Gen 6 over the Gen 5. GM fixed the cyl head compatibility issues on the Gen 6. You hit on the main differences. You can get a GM block with a 1 piece rear main and an fuel pump boss. The timing cover is the way to tell the difference between the Gen 5 and Gen 6. The gen 6 has 6 bolts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts