Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a generator for the boat. I am not going to replace my four batteries at $160.00 each.

Which is the one to go with, and why?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
honda 2000.....cuz:
its a honda
it starts on first pull
its a honda
it runs 8 hours on a gallon of gas
its a honda
its quiet
its a honda
I like red
its a honda

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Not that it couldn't be done, but all the systems I've seen in friends boats still use a battery bank to run the stereo, and the generator runs a charger (Cascade, Iota, etc.) that keeps the batteries up. Might still end up buying some new batteries.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
Not that it couldn't be done, but all the systems I've seen in friends boats still use a battery bank to run the stereo, and the generator runs a charger (Cascade, Iota, etc.) that keeps the batteries up. Might still end up buying some new batteries.
ding ding ding.....WINNER WINNER....CHICKEN DINNER:D:D

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
make sure you get the EU2000 inverter honda, not the little regular red generator. x12 on that one, i run mine at glamis all night long so i can watch tv, can't even hear it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Are you gonna run the stereo off of the generator (12v) or are you gonna run a charger (120v)to your battery bank?

The 2000i is an assume generator, 7 hour run time on a tank, and fricken quiet....you can run a 10 amp 120 charger with no problems all day long, but you will have to vent the hatch to cool the generator, and its gonna smell a little, but a ton of guys are doing it....

·
Registered
944 Posts
Both the Honda 1000 and 2000 can be combined to double the capacity if needed later. Make sure you get the inverter type so that it will run at low RPM when demand is low. You might want to install a Carbon Monoxide alarm too.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
I'm a fan of blue and a generator whore. In addition to these I have a Honda 500. I actually sold the 2800, had it for years and it was always a flawless performer.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you gonna run the stereo off of the generator (12v) or are you gonna run a charger (120v)to your battery bank?

The 2000i is an assume generator, 7 hour run time on a tank, and fricken quiet....you can run a 10 amp 120 charger with no problems all day long, but you will have to vent the hatch to cool the generator, and its gonna smell a little, but a ton of guys are doing it....
I plan on running the stereo off of the generator, but I do also have a three bank battery charger.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I plan on running the stereo off of the generator, but I do also have a three bank battery charger.
Off of the 12v charging plug, not a good idea, it aint gonna run it, check the rating of the out...you may need to go through the charger, which would be better for everything involved, keeps the batteries nice and charged, I would avoid using the 120v output directly into any high dollar electronics, the square wave out put is ugly....and you might see some noise from harmonics.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Off of the 12v charging plug, not a good idea, it aint gonna run it, check the rating of the out...you may need to go through the charger, which would be better for everything involved, keeps the batteries nice and charged, I would avoid using the 120v output directly into any high dollar electronics, the square wave out put is ugly....and you might see some noise from harmonics.
Very good point..........

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
Awesome, you just let it dump raw exhaust there in the bilge or do you have a custom exhaust for this?

I have one as well but end up sitting it on the swim step to run my Ac at night in the cabin.

UD

the stainless pipe right behind the genny is the exhaust, to my suprise it doesn't get that hot. I dumps right below the boat exhaust under water and under the swimstep. Very quiet and effective, not much smell at all.:)devil:)devil
Vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Auto part Car

Cable management Electrical wiring Wire Technology Cable

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
the stainless pipe right behind the genny is the exhaust, to my suprise it doesn't get that hot. I dumps right below the boat exhaust under water and under the swimstep. Very quiet and effective, not much smell at all.:)devil:)devil
View attachment 58439

View attachment 58440
That tiny pipe is the exhaust?

Did you do your own install, or have it done?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts