Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Examine the picture and you can see the issue. This is the "block true" plate that came with a SV85 I just came up with. I felt a need to check it for somee reason. As you can see it is not right.
I indicated the slot. It is parallel to the Y axis on my mill. I then indicated center from the bottom hole. This should put me in the centerline of the plate....right?? Right...
So, some A2 + B2 = C2 math can tell me what the measurement should be at x distance from the hole, right??
I need to make it right. Up to specs. I did not check the 2 edges to see if they were 90*. It is moot, since they are not the same height.
Thanks
Wags

Attachments

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Mehh...what's a few thou between friends....:cool:
I think you're making life difficult on yourself by putting it in the machine like that. I'd have the two edges at X and Y...forget about trying to figure the trig. Indicate off the center hole, go X a certain dimension, go Y the same dimension. As long as you know that one edge is exactly 45* to the slot, and you indicate that edge into either X or Y, you should be GTG.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steel... that is the deal. I don't know if either edge is 45*.
I could easily see if they are 90* to each other. But I get lost from there. I could draw it out and do the math, but I am lazy. I figured some math whiz would know it off the top of their head.
The chic works for the state of IL. They have a fab dept with cnc stuff. Maybe I'll just send it with her and tell them to fix it.
Wags

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I could easily see if they are 90* to each other. But I get lost from there. I could draw it out and do the math, but I am lazy. I figured some math whiz would know it off the top of their head.
The chic works for the state of IL. They have a fab dept with cnc stuff. Maybe I'll just send it with her and tell them to fix it.
Wags
Do you have a rotary table?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Wags
To check the 45, all you need is indicate the edge @ x/y, and you should be able to go over and up equal amounts. Maybe with an edge finder...set the Y, come over on the X, touch the edge, go up 3.000" on the Y, you should come over 3.000" on the X and find the edge again if it's a true 45*. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I would rotate the plate on your table and reclamp such that the deck angles are parallel to your X and Y axis. Find the center of the hole, then the X and Y should be easy without the need for any math.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I would rotate the plate on your table and reclamp such that the deck angles are parallel to your X and Y axis. Find the center of the hole, then the X and Y should be easy without the need for any math.
The problem is that one of those surfaces has to be exactly 45* to the center slot (which should be pefectly centered on the hole). Checking 45* to the slot is the challenge. A rotary table would make it easy, or the "up and over" measurement.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The problem is that one of those surfaces has to be exactly 45* to the center slot (which should be pefectly centered on the hole). Checking 45* to the slot is the challenge. A rotary table would make it easy, or the "up and over" measurement.

Yep. When I made my block truing fixture (with no CNC), that was my main obstacle to overcome.

Wags if you want to fix it yourself and have the capability to make new cones for the cam journals I can tell you how I made sure it was 45*. Since you have access to a CNC it might be easier to farm it out and have the ends trued.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No rotory table. I do see the indicate x and y and up and over. IF after indicating x, y is not also in line, that answers my 90* to one another issue. It will still take some work to verify the 45 to slot.
Wags

·
Registered
285 Posts
just curious.... did you check the surface between the deck areas (parallel with the valley area) to see if it was square with the slot?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
No rotory table. I do see the indicate x and y and up and over. IF after indicating x, y is not also in line, that answers my 90* to one another issue. It will still take some work to verify the 45 to slot.
Wags
Do the up and over on the slot till it's exactly 45* on the table, then check the edges. ;)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'd make a snug fitting round pilot on the lathe to fit the hole on your plate and fasten that to your mill table to hold the hole position. Find your center using a coax indicator or whatever you use. Set the plate down so your slot is at a rough 45, then stick a test indicator in the quill....angle/details don't matter so long as you don't turn the spindle during the process...touch off, record your location, walk the X and Y up an inch and tap it around until you've got the slot at a perfect 45. Clamp it down, recheck, then clean up the deck sides of the plate on your x and y.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Where is the "smiley" of an airplane buzzing over my head, damn it!

I know I can comprehend this stuff, anyone care to explain all this mumbo jumbo?

Where is Phil? (DIMARCO21)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd make a snug fitting round pilot on the lathe to fit the hole on your plate and fasten that to your mill table to hold the hole position. Find your center using a coax indicator or whatever you use. Set the plate down so your slot is at a rough 45, then stick a test indicator in the quill....angle/details don't matter so long as you don't turn the spindle during the process...touch off, record your location, walk the X and Y up an inch and tap it around until you've got the slot at a perfect 45. Clamp it down, recheck, then clean up the deck sides of the plate on your x and y.
I think you hit the nail on the head. This will ensure the 2 angles are 45* to the slot. The x and y axis of the mill ensure the 90* to each other. Simply dial in distance from center hole to top of plate (+ 1/2 tool diameter)
Wags
I knew there was enough brain power on here to steer me right. THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Where is the "smiley" of an airplane buzzing over my head, damn it!

I know I can comprehend this stuff, anyone care to explain all this mumbo jumbo?

Where is Phil? (DIMARCO21)
I am double checking and correcting the accuracy of this plate. It is fixtured through the mains of a block. The slot uses a tapered cone deal to go into the cam bore. You then indicate and deck off of this fixtute ensuring deck height and angle. I just got this one with another mill I picked up.
So, making it right.
Wags

BHJ Blok-Tru Blueprinting Fixture General Description: BHJ Products, +1 (510)797-6780

1 - 20 of 29 Posts