Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried replacing my cap and rotor with napa brand marine parts. They look identical to what's on the boat. Trouble is the rotor has broken on two of the replacements ive tried. i had an intermittent miss that went away when I cleaned up the old cap and rotor. But I want to replace it.
Anyone have any ideas maybe a different brand would work but the ones I've bought look identical to what's on the boat.
The first rotor broke on the dizzy shaft and just spun the thing wouldn't even start. Yesterday I'm all excited to try the new one and I started but sounded crappy and then died on the lake. Put the old one on and got home. That second time it looked like the rotor had been hitting the top of the cap.
I really want to find a GOOD replacement maybe one of you have good brand in mind.
74 southwind 18 v
460 for Holman moody stock except for pertronics conversion. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376144485.866939.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376144555.354195.jpg

·
New here
4,219 Posts
That cap really looks like a Mallory part. Might try a typical Mallory YL-type distributor tune-up kit and see if the parts match up.​

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a Mallory . I think it says cresco on it.
I didn't put the pertronics in I don't know about shimming. How's that work.
See the thing is the cap and rotor weren't changed after the pertronics and it all works fine now with the factory replacement parts that are on it now.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
lol I've seriously thought about that
Possibility of upper bushing worn out in distributor? Would allow rotor to slop around inside the cap a bit.

Personally, if I touch an OLD distributor, I just replace it with a Pertronix billet replacement. Inexpensive and rock solid.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dizzy doesn't show bushing wear on the scope. Plus if they were worn wouldn't it break the cap and rotor on that's on there now and works fine

·
Registered
577 Posts
If your thinking about just buying a new dizzy, you should check out Pertronix Ignitor III. Have that on mine and works pretty good and not too pricey

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
the standard deal on the marine conversions for a ford is the prestolite ignition. If you can get or have standard ignition crossover the part numbers are my400 cap, al99 rotor. Just make sure the rotor is sitting "all ther way down" on the shaft! Sometimes they are a pretty tight fit and need alittle extra push!

·
New here
4,219 Posts
If your thinking about just buying a new dizzy, you should check out Pertronix Ignitor III. Have that on mine and works pretty good and not too pricey
I really like those units. A couple-a-hundy for a whole new billet unit with multi-spark on start and a rev-limiter. Doesn't care about voltage, either. 9 to 12(+) is just fine with it.

Summit has whole Pertronix packages with billet dist, matched coil, wires, AND their own multi-spark box for $500-ish. I haven't used their spark boxes yet. I have about 4 of them stacked on a shelf from ordering those kits.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd rather not just throw money at it for a new dizy. It does run great as is. i just want a more permanent fix than wire brushing the rotor every other time out. I'll try the part number above maybe the last one I didn't push down far enough. Idk...

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I'd rather not just throw money at it for a new dizy. It does run great as is. i just want a more permanent fix than wire brushing the rotor every other time out. I'll try the part number above maybe the last one I didn't push down far enough. Idk...
Perfectly understandable. I just like to have everything the same, as much as possible. That way, I don't have MSD dist with Accel wires and a Mallory coil. One package, one brand, all new stuff, made to work WITH each other. Out in the middle of the lake, it's hard to find a parts store.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
At old guy: you have the same motor I presume?
Not any more but after 40 years of parts work and boating, boats and so on I have a pretty good clue of what he is going through! I did not mean to ruffle feathers or anything but what the OP is going through is not news to me! I have a cap and rotor in my shop in my spare parts pile and as I stated I have been through that before!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Possibility of upper bushing worn out in distributor? Would allow rotor to slop around inside the cap a bit.

Personally, if I touch an OLD distributor, I just replace it with a Pertronix billet replacement. Inexpensive and rock solid.
I popped a Pertronix in and it made a huge difference:))THumbsUp one and done just how I like it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These pertronix deals have multi- spark built in? No separate boxes? Tell me MSD has that too. I really like my MSD on my car but the boat doesn't have a cover, hard to hide stuff ...

·
New here
4,219 Posts
These pertronix deals have multi- spark built in? No separate boxes? Tell me MSD has that too. I really like my MSD on my car but the boat doesn't have a cover, hard to hide stuff ...
The Igniter-II has multi-spark DURING CRANKING. Then they have their own separate box if you need more. The Ignitor-III has multi-spark:
Our Ignitor III ignition module is designed for the serious performance
enthusiast who demands serious power. You have seen the performance
increases the Ignitor and Ignitor II series of electronic ignitions have brought.
Now get ready for more... 5 times more spark energy than a typical points
system. Ignitor III modules provide ignition box performance... without the “box”!
For the maximum Ignitor III benefit, select one of our Flame-Thrower III or HC
ignition coils from the coil section of this catalog

F E ATUR E S

• Multiple sparks thru the entire RPM range.

• Integrated digital REV limiter with LED feedback for precise
RPM setting.

• Memory safe function stores settings eliminating unintended
changes to Rev limit.

• Adaptive dwell maintains peak energy throughout the entire RPM
range, reducing misfires while improving engine performance.

• Peak current level is reached just prior to spark for maximum
energy without the heat build-up, increasing coil performance
and module reliability.

• Adjusts spark timing at higher RPMs to compensate for the
inherent electronic delay.

• Senses startup and increases energy for quicker, easier starting.

• Thermal clad surface mount construction for superior reliability.

• Built-in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the
system, preventing component damage.

• Legal in all 50 states and Canada. (C.A.R.B. E.O. #D-57-22)

• Guaranteed for 30 months... We Stand Behind It!
Here's the combo kit(s) that I usually get. They've gone up to $570-ish, but again - you get an ENTIRE ignition system. I am not saying they are the best / nor the best for EVERYONE's application. But for the "average" motor in the "average" vessel or car or truck - it's nice peace of mine to have everything working together and new. One place to go for any replacement parts.

Improved performance, better throttle response, and greater fuel economy--these are some of the countless reasons why you should update your ignition system, and we just made it a lot easier! These convenient combos have all of the PerTronix parts you need to inject some serious spark into your ride. We started with a low-resistance PerTronix Flame-Thrower II 45,000 V coil and a plug-and-play billet distributor equipped with an Ignitor II ignition module and adjustable vacuum advance (Chevy HEI applications feature a high performance street/strip HEI distributor). Also included is a PerTronix Second Strike CD ignition box with a built-in rev limiter--the only ignition box that delivers a powerful second spark throughout the rpm range. Finally, every kit is topped off with a set of low-resistance Flame-Thrower ignition wires, complete with silicone boots.

Ignition Combo, Box, Flame Thrower II Coil, Distributor, Black Plug Wires/Cap, Ford, 351C/351M/400/429/460

$573.97

1 - 20 of 28 Posts