Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at retirement in the next 4 to 6 years and would like to leave California. I am just fed up with all the crap going on in this state as I am sure many of you are as well. I have small kids who will be teen and pre-teen ages when I retire so my focus would be on a good location to raise a family and still be close enough for trips to Havasu. I am considering various parts of Arizona, Idaho and even as far as Texas. I would like to find a part time job maybe also to add to my college savings for the kids.

Would love to hear from anyone living in those states on the pros and cons of their areas. I am in the early planning stages of this and have not researched it much yet but I want a nice family area with good schools obviously and hopefully good colleges in State as well for my kids.

·
Registered
19,899 Posts
i hear ya brother been here for for 53 yrs...we looked in prescott az.eagle idaho,meridean idaho.castlerock co ,colorado springs,co, ft collins these were all diff road trips just to look at houses they were just 3 day trips each next trip will be montana and wyoming but i think eagle idaho is r best bet so far...........
i wanna be by the minigers (RCL) and start hanging with that bunch of a$$ clowns............................:partyguy: :)Unsure :rolleyes:

when we were in eagle id we put a 10k deposit down on a lil ranch house with a shop in the back on 5 acres but when we got home we chickened out......

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
We moved to the Salt Lake area 11 years ago from So Cal. We both grew up in So Cal. We lived in the Seattle area for a while as well. Utah is a pretty good place to raise kids. I never felt like I had to worry if they decided to go down town. Once you get used to the culture, it's actually pretty nice. The economy is still pretty good. As far as college, the University of Utah is a great college and very affordable for in state tuition. Cost of living isn't bad at all. As far as schools, it's what you make of it. We sent our son to a private school and he received a great education. We have two season here, hot and cold. Skiing is very close and lots of lakes nearby without having to deal with traffic like we did in California. Housing prices are very good for the buyer right now.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm ready to retire also..well maybe a couple years, anyway I've allways wanted to leave Cali. and head north, But Wife could not move
because she wouldnt be close to the kids..I understand that..But we did our time here

·
Registered
480 Posts
This could be a joke or not? I grew up in Oxnard and the inland empire, and I miss Oxnard. Just turned 40 and want to long board. (only if the surf is flat.) I have a gun for winter miracles!!! I have a duplex 10 miles from ski lifts in Utah and might think about some wheeling dealing. My whole family is in Cali and my oldest daughter really wants to live on the beach. Any one in Ventura County interested? California sucks until you leave. My duplex is owner occupied and new 2 year lease status for rental.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Check out oklahoma.lotta lakes.texoma lake aera is very nice.durant has a great university.its where i went.big nuff not to get bored bit still the lil town feel.talk to hass about texoma he lives on it.very big tunnel friendly lake.u would love it man its nice place.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
We're going with Lake Havasu and a nice RV. We can go north if we think it's too hot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i left so cal 5 or 6 years ago and moved to st george utah which is a retirement community. there are good schools and colleges nearby. there are 3 lakes within a half hour or so for boating and many other fishing type lakes. dont get much snow but its only an hour away if your into it. I left so cal and have not looked back i really like southern utah and its still within a couple hours of powell havasu and mead.

·
Registered
185 Posts
we retired from Boeing in washington state we looked in Idaho but didn't like the winter
driving thru havasu and seeing all the fast boats going to the lake the day before thanksgiving and hot rod cars driving around we bought a garage with a detached house and hear we are
it is very hard to get the wife to go back to Washington for a visit 54 years of rain/ mold and moss she is done with that oh and the family dynamics don't help ether

·
Registered
975 Posts
Arizona

The only thing keeping me in Cali. is my job, been there for 29 yrs. and when the right time hits, it's all about AZ. the weather and boating suits me and Cali is only 4 hrs, away. All my family except my kids are in AZ, as will be my house which will turn into a rental. :))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
i left so cal 5 or 6 years ago and moved to st george utah which is a retirement community. there are good schools and colleges nearby. there are 3 lakes within a half hour or so for boating and many other fishing type lakes. dont get much snow but its only an hour away if your into it. I left so cal and have not looked back i really like southern utah and its still within a couple hours of powell havasu and mead.
I really wish our company would have settled there! Although it was probably better here for my kid.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
I am looking at retirement in the next 4 to 6 years and would like to leave California. I am just fed up with all the crap going on in this state as I am sure many of you are as well. I have small kids who will be teen and pre-teen ages when I retire so my focus would be on a good location to raise a family and still be close enough for trips to Havasu. I am considering various parts of Arizona, Idaho and even as far as Texas. I would like to find a part time job maybe also to add to my college savings for the kids.

Would love to hear from anyone living in those states on the pros and cons of their areas. I am in the early planning stages of this and have not researched it much yet but I want a nice family area with good schools obviously and hopefully good colleges in State as well for my kids.
Missouri... Bull Shoals lake OR Table Rock or LOTO if your more into the boating scene...

Low real estate taxes, fairly decent fiscal situation at a state level... Good deer/turkey hunting and the fishing is very good year round in some part of the state if that is your bag...

We need more solid folks like yourself to offset the growing "entitled" population here...

10 hours from the gulf, 15 hours from the east coast, 10 hours from Denver/Boulder...

98% of the places you go here (stores and such) speak ENGLISH... :))THumbsUp

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Idaho

Idaho is closed..

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Lucky you:))THumbsUp I hope to do the same in the next 10 years.
California will either be part of Mexico or China by then. You'll need to cross the border illegally then. You'd better hope it's part of Mexico because then you can get all the freebies the US will be giving out. If it's part of China, they'll deport you to Shanghai. :D

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
California will either be part of Mexico or China by then. You'll need to cross the border illegally then. You'd better hope it's part of Mexico because then you can get all the freebies the US will be giving out. If it's part of China, they'll deport you to Shanghai. :D

I don't know? if I can last 10 more years. but hoping a few things, that I am working on, will work out. So I might be out of here faster. Move over, Utah is one of the places, I am looking at. :happy:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nevada

I moved from SoCal to Las Vegas two years ago and absolutely never going back!

The people are much nicer and they actually want to meet new people.

I would look in Henderson though. My wife is pregnant so we are already looking at schools and Las Vegas and North LV have terrible schools but Henderson has very good schools, low crime and low unemployment. Its a bit more money for house but well worth it and way less than California.

Nevada has no state income tax so you save 10% right there! Not too mention gas, electric, property tax, water, everything is so much cheaper here.

Prices of homes keep going up too so it is a good indication our economy is turning around nicely.

Oh and the best part is 2:30 to havasu and NEVER any traffic!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I really wish our company would have settled there! Although it was probably better here for my kid.
If you refering to the schools down here they are pretty good schools not sure bout the private ones but the rest are pretty good and there is dixie which is a decent college and suu in cedar that is a really good one. My kids like it here as much as i do.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
If you refering to the schools down here they are pretty good schools not sure bout the private ones but the rest are pretty good and there is dixie which is a decent college and suu in cedar that is a really good one. My kids like it here as much as i do.
That was no knock to the schools down there. I just meant that it worked out for us. He went to Juan Diego CHS which was good for him and gave him the structure and discipline. Being able to meet some of the people he's met helped his direction. Dixie High is really good. They have a great football program as well. I am glad that he went to the U of U though. They had a great Middle Eastern Studies program which will help him in his career path hopefully if everything works out.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts