Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
I try to avoid it now....first trip out I had it in the air a few times...here's what happened when a stock pump "reloads" as soon as it hits the water again....

http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=40425&highlight=wiped
You said in that thread your motor makes a bit over 600 HP... i think thats over the limit on the aluminum impeller? My last mill which i estimated some where around 500 HP had a old worn aluminum impeller. I would load/unload the shit of out of that thing (not really by choice, parker sucks ass) and mine held together. Course not to say that it would have stayed together if i would have kept going it season after season but i think your HP was probably playing a large part of why you broke that thing.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You said in that thread your motor makes a bit over 600 HP... i think thats over the limit on the aluminum impeller? My last mill which i estimated some where around 500 HP had a old worn aluminum impeller. I would load/unload the shit of out of that thing (not really by choice, parker sucks ass) and mine held together. Course not to say that it would have stayed together if i would have kept going it season after season but i think your HP was probably playing a large part of why you broke that thing.

The only reason the impeller was destroyed is because the unloading and reloading blew apart the thrust bearing...everything went to hell from there.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
From what I've been told, the boat sees more abuse riding on the trailer than launching over wakes. The main thing that takes the abuse as mentioned above is the pump itself.

I'd strongly recommend upgrading to the Aggressor 17-4 shaft and a mag bronze impeller. It can not only more than handle the horsepower, but it can take the shock loading a lot better as well.

·
I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
The only reason the impeller was destroyed is because the unloading and reloading blew apart the thrust bearing...everything went to hell from there.
Ah, so the thrust bearing is what came apart, i didnt read that far into the thread, only saw your first responce. Did it ruin your motor too?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ah, so the thrust bearing is what came apart, i didnt read that far into the thread, only saw your first responce. Did it ruin your motor too?

No damage to the motor. The aluminum bits fromt the impeller clogged the cooling passage in the pump and I noticed when water stopped spraying out the side...(I've got the pisser going out the side of the boat next to the drivers seat) so got out of it and idled 500 feet to the launch ramp. Engine temp was up over 220 within about 10 seconds of clogging the cooling line. Crank end play is still good...only cuz I saw the water stop spraying. I got lucky.

·
I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
No damage to the motor. The aluminum bits fromt the impeller clogged the cooling passage in the pump and I noticed when water stopped spraying out the side...(I've got the pisser going out the side of the boat next to the drivers seat) so got out of it and idled 500 feet to the launch ramp. Engine temp was up over 220 within about 10 seconds of clogging the cooling line. Crank end play is still good...only cuz I saw the water stop spraying. I got lucky.
One reason why i love my water pressure guage on the dash. My pressure regulator got clogged twice now and i was able to catch it before it affected engine temp both times!

·
Registered
329 Posts
?

Chop? What is your gauge of chop or for that matter anybody else! Hitting chop is just part of the game and how hard you are hitting said chop is relevant to speed size of chop ect. with that being said you can say if it hurts you it may be quite hard on the hull. Now do you have a lite or heavy hull as that will play into it aswell. This is my 2cts If you feel that it is to rough and it is uncomfortable it MAY be hard on the hull,but that is all open to interpretaion allso.So If in the seat of your pants or in you feet you can feel hull flexing or hear it talking to you you could be at or beyond its limits.:)hand

As fore flyin it, if want to fly get a plane they are made for that.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
After owning a highly modified jet ski I learned to read the chop and react accordingly with the throttle. It is a rarity when I am out in my boat in chop that my throttle is constant.

I've seen boats stress cracked to hell from beating them up in the chop. I always try to drive with the chop instead of on top or through it.

In the end if it gets real bad sometimes there is no option but take a pounding, these little boats tend to get bouncy in the big stuff.

Havasu during the monsoon season is NOT a good place to get caught with a 19 foot low free board boat.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. No getting out on a boat here in central AZ and not encountering huge wakes. I know that unloading the pump help my crank crack. Re-entering the water at speed even with a rev limiter is gunna creat some thing to give. In my case my crank gave out. But since the crank just cracked rather than breaking off, my block was saved.

Its kinda like an off road trophy truck type of ride now a days without the shocks. The hull may take a few poundings with out spider cracks popping up. But water is as hard as concrete. Not much give when it comes to water.

Take it easy. enjoy the view. The only thing you get from running hard in that rough stuff is a big bill. Hull Motor or pump. One of them is gunna eventually let go from the abuse.

I have video to proove my theory.:)coffee:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
i personally love catching big air in my boat!! i have posted this before but it seems everbody thinks i am an idiot!! oh well, i still love catching fat air. took it out on lake washington last saturday. it was pretty choppy on the way back to the launch. seen a roller off a 50' yacht in the distance. got going as fast as i could and launched!! i also love catching air behind wake boarding boats. i have been doing this since the early 80s and have had little to no problems. [email protected] if its choppy out i trim down and run as fast as i can. just skip across the tops of them waves. my boat used to top out at 64mph. havent gpsed it since the energizer kit!! it feals alot faster. i will guess i am toped out aroud 70mph.

all the negative comments i get from this post could never get me to stop,
CATCHIN FAT AIR!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
i personally love catching big air in my boat!! i have posted this before but it seems everbody thinks i am an idiot!! oh well, i still love catching fat air. took it out on lake washington last saturday. it was pretty choppy on the way back to the launch. seen a roller off a 50' yacht in the distance. got going as fast as i could and launched!! i also love catching air behind wake boarding boats. i have been doing this since the early 80s and have had little to no problems. [email protected] if its choppy out i trim down and run as fast as i can. just skip across the tops of them waves. my boat used to top out at 64mph. havent gpsed it since the energizer kit!! it feals alot faster. i will guess i am toped out aroud 70mph.

all the negative comments i get from this post could never get me to stop,
CATCHIN FAT AIR!!!
Not about what floats you boat. All about what may be harmful to HIS boat is the question. What works for you and your boat may not work for his.Never said you could not do what you do,if it's safe for you and those around you then go for it.Just saying know you limits. You are in a diff. boat:)devil:)devil

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
i bought my 19' gt jet & the bottom had 3 extremely long crack in the bottom.
Is it possible for there to be cracks in the bottom anywhere besides the bottom? :D :)hand

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.