Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a close call today - My 4 month pregnant wife and our 1.5 yr old daughter were on the way to lunch when their car got hit by an oncoming pickup while making a left hand turn. I received the call right after it happened, but was 20 minutes away from where the accident was at.

My wife ended up with a broken wrist and knee, my 1.5 yr old is OK other than some bruises from the car seat straps, and the baby-to-be seems to be OK. They are keeping my wife in the hospital overnight as a precaution since she's pregnant, but so far everything looks good besides her wrist and knee and she should get released tomorrow AM. All in all, we were pretty damn lucky considering what could have happened and we're thankfull for that.

Anyways - I had a few things come to mind through all of this:

Possessions can be replaced

Don't skimp on safety for your loved ones, accidents will happen

Everything can be turned upside-down in an instant

If you have a child in a car seat - make sure it's a good one and securely installed. Ours was installed securely and protected my 1.5 yr old from getting hurt.

Here are some pics from today - One from this morning of my daughter playing, and then a couple of pics that no husband/father wants to see - The totaled car and my 1.5 yr old with the neck collar on while she was getting checked out at the hospital.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow, very scarry situation. That is one of my biggest fears these days. Those pics are worth a million words. I'm glad everyone is ok. Property as you said can be replaced.

Your advise is spot on. When I was choosing my little girls car seat I took a peak under the cloth to see what was under them. What a difference even in all the high end stuff. I'm sure I don't have to say it but I would replace that car seat just incase.

I hope your wife recovers fast.

Lunch time on the roads around phoenix can be pretty hectic after it heats up.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Greg, glad everything turned out ok. Very scary. And the pic of your little one with a neck brace is heart wrenching.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
glad things turned out the way they did for you. i always tell my wife and kids how things can change in a heart beat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
More than half of car seats are installed wrong. Gald to hear everyone will be ok.

Just thought I would mention in case people don't know. Most Police Departments have people that have been trained to install them. It might seem dumb but the class is two long on how to put them in right.

If they move up and down any they are too loose. They can move side to side no more than 1 inch.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
More than half of car seats are installed wrong. Gald to hear everyone will be ok.

Just thought I would mention in case people don't know. Most Police Departments have people that have been trained to install them. It might seem dumb but the class is two long on how to put them in right.

If they move up and down any they are too loose. They can move side to side no more than 1 inch.

Might sound dumb, but a great plan. We had ours checked and shown proper installation when they were that little. If it is installed correctly and a good seat it will be very secure in any accident.:)devil

I still see people with kids running loose in the car because they don't want to deal with a screaming kid in the seat. It's stupid because in one second you have a dead kid and you are now in jail for killing the kid.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,034 Posts
Damn thats scary. Thank God everyone is going to be OK.
What kind of car was she driving?
Mom's got some injuries to deal with while being prego. Thats going to be very tough.
Hope she's feeling better real soon.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Geez Greg I almost choked reading this. Glad eveyone made it out without serious issues. These things can certainly reset your view on life's priorites huh? If I can do anything just yell. Maybe lunch this week after everything settles down.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Glad everyone's ok. Couldn't agree more with your ideas on safety.

Nothing at all hits you like when your kids are injured. My 11 yo (at the time) daughter was snow boarding behind me and got taken out by a skier. She's tough, so when I heard her yell "Dad" in a paiful way, it got me. I then watched the ski patrol put the neck collar on, put her on a buck board, and sled her down to the ambulance. I was freaked. Luckily she was ok, and had no internal injuries. Gets to me now just thinking about it.

I no longer take everyday for granted.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone - Mom will be getting out of the hospital today - Just waiting for an ortho Dr to look at her wrist and knee before releasing her.

One of the paramedics on scene inspecter the car and checked the car seat installation - It was in snug and didn't move at all which is good.

The car was a 2004 Mercedes C230 Sedan - Great car that did it's job in the crash I think. I think we're going to replace this with a tank though just to be sure.

·
Resident Legal Counsel
53 Posts
Great post---as a father of a little girl I can only imagine your fears. Glad all is looking positive.

I work for an MBZ dealer in service and can attest to the safety of our product. The Germans do a superb job in their efforts on safety.

·
Registered
16,525 Posts
Thank god ricey..the pic of your little one brought tears to my wife and i ...prayers go out right now that the lord will watch over your wife and child for a speedy revovery and the baby to come is gonna be fine......in jesus name we pray amen....mouz

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
That's good your wife and daughter are OK.......

On St patriks day I got in an accident and the lady that t boned my hit me doing 50 !!! well when I went to see if she OK she had a 1 month baby in the car and when the paramedics came she declined medical attention for her baby because she didn't what to pay for it :|err:|err:|err

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.