·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Punk in Drublic
2,165 Posts
Wtf!

Thanks for the post. Heading out President's Weekend. We generally stay in 3 or 4 (unfenced?), but the new fencing dtarting at 6 will surely make our area unbearably crowded....:|err

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
Just saw this today.....RR put a fence down wash road...very limited access to the camping area in the washes.... I'm sick to my stomach...

Video of the fence as it stands today

http://www.glamisweather.com/gpwr2.wmv

Link to Glamis Dunes discussion...

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=164071

Let's get some e-mails, letters, and calls made and get the openings in the fence wider and guaranteed access i.e. new road on BLM land.

If they didnt do an environmental impact report on that move it's worth sueing over.

Gecko is near impossible to get a spot on now,, it'll be crazy.

·
Doctor Bomb
551 Posts
Yep, it's Railroad property, probably lucky it did'nt go up years ago.

Glamis folks are very upset, thing is, enforcement there is going through what happened at Havi, Parker years ago. People over at GD are upset over getting stopped for registration checks. Years of a lot of accidents, crime led up to the current situation.

It's pretty easy, people just have to have thier paperwork in order like one does on the boat and things are fine.

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
They were up last weekend. They weren't up the weekend before that I remember

I also heard rumors of people getting ticketed driving OHV vehicals down Ted Kipf road (otherside of railroad tracks) going to boardmanville etc. I guess something about them making that dirt road a public highway now. Tickets of 100 plus. If thats the case Boardmanville will be screwed, no long travel buggies, rhinos or jeeps, trucks will be able to get down there unless they cross wash 10 and it looks like that might even get shut down.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand the logic from the RR's position but we just need to make enough noise to get the BLM to get the new road in. Without a lot of pressure they'll sit back and just wait. Also need to contact your local Senator or Congressmen to have them make contact with the BLM and Union Pacific to let them know we want
1. Access to the Wash Road open until a new road is built.
2. The current 10'-0" opening widened to 20' to provide safe access to the washes and avoid major traffic congestion.
3. Immediate action from the BLM on grading a new road West of the fence line.

I'm making calls today and writing letters. I see this as only the first step in a renewed effort to close public access to this popular camping area.

Chris

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some contact info

Southern California
Lupe Valdez
Director, Public Affairs 13181 Crossroads Pkwy No.
City Of Industry , CA 91746 Phone: (626) 935-7617
Fax: (626) 935-7622
Send e-mail

Western Region
Zoe Richmond
Director, Corporate Relations and Media 10031 Foothills Blvd.
Roseville, CA 95747 Phone: (916) 789-6019
Cell: (916) 960-7511
Fax: (402) 997-3309
Send e-mail

Western Region
Scott Moore
Vice President,
Public Affairs 10031 Foothills Blvd.
Roseville, CA 95747 Phone: (916) 789-6015
Send e-mail

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't go out there but I have a feeling that someone going to have free fire wood with the fence post's. just a feeling also that the wind will blow down a lot of fencing.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't go out there but I have a feeling that someone going to have free fire wood with the fence post's. just a feeling also that the wind will blow down a lot of fencing.:D
The fence post are Metal and the fence is Metal strip material.Nothing is final yet,we still have access from Glamis Beach store to wash 6 on the dune side of the fence.Im just glad i kept my 4x4 and trailer instead of buying Motorhome.

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
My guess is that the 3 kids who were killed on the tracks last year had a really big impact on this decision.
The RR is using the derailment as the excuse. Not wanting to have another and hit a long line of motorhomes sitting on the road but I can gather. The kids that were killed (god speed) was an issue that could only be curtailed by closing hwy 78.

What a mess this is going to be. I feel sorry for Jeanie. There goes her business.

The ever changing Imperial sand dunes is not just tied to the wind shifted sand.

·
Sushi Inspector
2,387 Posts
It's pretty easy, people just have to have thier paperwork in order like one does on the boat and things are fine.

I'll just keep my paperwork in the glove box of my CR 250!!!!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got word that the BLM and RR are out there meeting this morning. Hopefully they can come up with a temporary solution, while the BLM gets a new road approved west of the fence. I got an e-mail back from Union Pacific stating they were aware of our concerns and had people working on it.

We're headed out Friday morning to Glamis, to try and camp in wash 10 so I'll see how this works out.

Please everyone write, e-mail, call the BLM, the RR, your Senator and Congressman, let them know this won't work.

Chris

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So apparently noone is concerned about rider safety. Desert turtles and desert flowers take presidence over the safety and well being af human lives. The more land they take the more congestion they will cause. More congestion leads to more accidents and more lives lost.

Have fun out there!

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
Just got word that the BLM and RR are out there meeting this morning. Hopefully they can come up with a temporary solution, while the BLM gets a new road approved west of the fence. I got an e-mail back from Union Pacific stating they were aware of our concerns and had people working on it.

We're headed out Friday morning to Glamis, to try and camp in wash 10 so I'll see how this works out.

Please everyone write, e-mail, call the BLM, the RR, your Senator and Congressman, let them know this won't work.

Chris
In my reading Wash 10 has a 10' opening. I just can't understand why the UP Contractor did this. Like an extra 10' is a big deal.

They are 20' wide but that is not to like wash 20.

I went to Glamis once last year and nothing for 5 years before but I can tell you I used to practically live there from about 1988 and on until the closures happened and I bailed out.

I can't stand to see this kind of shit go on. Like the average guy has zero say.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts

Chris
I'm sure logic never crossed their minds when they decided to put it up, in as much as to talk with the adjoining agency to find a solution before erecting the fence.....:rolleyes:
This will be a nightmare on Prezday if nobody can get to their planned destinations.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wow, based on what Neil Hamada (head BLM dude at Glamis) has said in an email, we're screwed. The RR looks to have the fence finished by Prez day, and the openings that were promised to reach camping areas will be closed off, those that arent closed will be maintained for the weekend by BLM, after that ?????
Some will be able to get through the washes to about wash 6, but I doubt the bigger MOHO's and stackers will want to try that.
A new wash road prolly wont happen soon either.
Cant imagine how crowded Gecko will become.

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
Wow, based on what Neil Hamada (head BLM dude at Glamis) has said in an email, we're screwed. The RR looks to have the fence finished by Prez day, and the openings that were promised to reach camping areas will be closed off, those that arent closed will be maintained for the weekend by BLM, after that ?????
Some will be able to get through the washes to about wash 6, but I doubt the bigger MOHO's and stackers will want to try that.
A new wash road prolly wont happen soon either.
Cant imagine how crowded Gecko will become.

People are going to have to drag their shit out into the dunes to camp. Just like Pismo when the beach is full.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts